Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK Power Window Question (Yah, I know. Read It Anyway)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK Power Window Question (Yah, I know. Read It Anyway)

Just received a whole mess of parts from Import Auto Salvage to install power windows in my EK hatch. The problem is that the floor harness that runs along the driver's side was cut to save time (I guess) when pulling it out the donor car.

I figure, "No problem. I'll cut my floor harness and splice it into the harness that IAS sent me." WRONG.

The EX floor harness has 25 wires in it and my hatch's harness has 27 wires. I know I only have 2 extra wires, but what do they go to. I really haven't looked at any wiring diagrams, which I am about to do and figure out what color the spare two wires are, but....

Has anybody received a cut floor harness from IAS and tried installing it into an EK? If so, what did you do?

I'd really like some responses from those who have first hand knowledge. I am on my way back out to the garage to figure this out. I have been at this since 10 AM this morning and some help would save me time right now.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Power Window Question (Lynx)

OK, the two extra wires from the hatchback harness that don't match the EX harness are:

Light Green/Black
Dark Green

Anyone with a Helms know what these wires go to? I have a crappy Haines manual, which is a royal pain in the **** to read.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I traced these wires back to the rear wiper motor.

Does anybody know if by doing this install, you will lose the function of the rear wiper?
Old 06-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lynx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I traced these wires back to the rear wiper motor.

Does anybody know if by doing this install, you will lose the function of the rear wiper?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, unless you decide to add the extra wires to the switch and/or to the fuse box, wherever it goes. coupes have no reason to have the wires for the back wiper. i shaved my back wiper before i put in my power doors, and i put in an ex steering column with no switch, so i'm good.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Power Window Question (civicdxtyper)

btw, i'm just curious, how much did you pay for everything? including door panels, motors, wiring, etc.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup, unless you decide to add the extra wires to the switch and/or to the fuse box, wherever it goes. coupes have no reason to have the wires for the back wiper. i shaved my back wiper before i put in my power doors, and i put in an ex steering column with no switch, so i'm good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you. Guess I will be outside a while longer wiring the rear wiper.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't get the doorpanels because I already had them, but I paid $270 for everything else. I thought that this was a damn good deal I couldn't pass up.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got all the power window stuff from some guy, and wiring. the only thing I am missing is the floor (under dash) harness, and i was wondering where you plugged your's in because i gotta wire that stuff up myself

Please, if you can get me a picture or just describe a location of where the power window wiring goes, it'd be great help.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Power Window Question (Eddie HatchBlack)

Here's what I found out yesterday. I am not an expert on this because I spent an entire day on this and nothing works right now. So, if you see something obvious that I am missing, please please please post so I can get this **** up and running.

The EX/Si floor harness has about seven plugs (I think) from the front seats up. I received a cut harness, so I didn't count how many are in the back, which really has no bearing on the window aspect.

One plug connects to each of the door harnesses. (That's two for those who can't mulitply).

There is one white plug that connects to another under the dash mounted to the driver's side of the car. (That's a total of three)

There is one blue plug that mates up with another blue plug that is mounted to the fuse box, but no connecting directly into the fuse box. (Four)

There is a large green plug that connects directly to the fuse box. (Five)

ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUGS ARE ALREADY IN THE HATCBACK. The EX floor harness just swaps into their spots. The two plugs that are in the EX harness are:

A small green plug that goes directly into the fusebox. (Six)

A small white plug, which I don't think has a location for the power windows.

This is not the only difference between the two. There are a whole mess of wires that travel on the floor between the doors on the EX harness which the hatchback doesn't have. This is why you NEED the floor harness. Besides the hatchback floor harness will not plug into the EX/Si door harnesses.

Oh, yeah read my first few posts about the two extra wires coming from the back of the car in the hatchback harness.

This is what I have so far, but nothing works. I have been reading about a relay, which I do NOT have and I do not know where goes or what it looks like. I am hoping that once I put one in the correct location, everything will work, but that would be to damn easy at this point.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check this out for the Relay
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=527467

I picked one up from honda last week, only cost $6.00
Old 06-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK Power Window Question (Eddie HatchBlack)

Oh yeah, on that post, i'll get you the REAL honda part number later.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's why you gotta make sure you get the full floor harness when doing this. have you checked all of your fuses? there might be an extra fuse or two that you have to add for the power accessories. when i did mine i ripped everything out of my parts car, so i swapped all the ex wiring (interior and engine bay), fuse box, etc, so mine worked without any problems.