Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ek owners..where is your cd player?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ek owners..where is your cd player?

did you put your cd player where stock radio is, or where the stock tape player was. i am thinking of putting mine where the tape player is and tring to find some type of block off plate or pocket for stock radio location... its a 96..

any pictures?
Old 11-01-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (SOHC Beast)

Well, not many people have EK's here. But my 99 civic hatchback has the CD player in the stock location. It doesn't go too well by the cupholder because it's so big.

My mothers 98 has a CD player down by the cupholder, and the radio is in the stock location.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:09 PM

i have a 98 coupe and my aftermarket cd player is down by the cup holder and i have the block off plate for the stock location. maybe that will detour theives its my 3rd cd player.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (screech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by screech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 98 coupe and my aftermarket cd player is down by the cup holder and i have the block off plate for the stock location. maybe that will detour theives its my 3rd cd player.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sucks...that was my idea, take off the face and flip up the cup holder to block it. have any pictures of it.. my cd player is a flip down face to put in the cd... is there enough room under it to flip down. how hard was it to get the wiring to reach down there. i woudl like to see a picture. and where did you get the block off plate.. how much $$ thanks!
Old 11-01-2003, 07:23 PM

I am also interested in the blockoff plate. I have my headunit mounted in the tape deck location as well. I simply run the factory head unit in the stock location and use it simply as a clock. Metra makes a wire harness that meakes it plug and play to do that. My cupholder cover will not open fully, but it is only a little bit from fully ope, can still use it for a bottle or something, and it does cover up pretty nicely when the cover is up. I had the same intentions, to deter theives, but eventually to run gauges in the stock radio location.

Oh and my headunit is also a flip down face, and it works fine, no clearance issues at all.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:44 PM

i got the block off plate from a friend found it in his 91 civic glove box it came with the car i guess my car is in the shop gettin my swap but ill try to post up pics when i get it back it flips down fine as long as the cup holder is down and i take the face off and flip the cup holder up EVERY time i get out cuz im tired of losin faceplates not to mention the fact that its bolted in by four bolts
Old 11-01-2003, 08:48 PM
New User

I have a 2000 civic hatch
purchased a 1998 civic lower console and moved my stereo down by the cupholders and put gauges where the stereo was before.
Its good for looking at the gauges, but hard to adjust volume etc on the stereo when drinks are in the cupholder.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (screech)

Here's a pic. No my interior is not blue, it's actually almost black but the flash makes it look blue. In a way, I kind of regret putting it down there to be honest because you can't use the cupholders anymore...no matter what size drink you have, it presses the cover thing against the volume **** and messes up the settings. It might work for some headunits, but not for Alpines...I still like it though because I can just pop up my cupholder cover and it hides my headunit. Here's the pic:
Old 11-01-2003, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (slvrcivic97)

My CD player is up in the stock location. I have nothing down by my cupholders ecxept a pocket.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (Ricey McRicerton)

mines in the trunk because i have a sedan
Old 11-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a tape deck (yes, a tape deck) placed in the stock location & a DIN-sized cd changer in the lower DIN pocket by the cupholders.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xivera)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xivera &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a tape deck (yes, a tape deck) placed in the stock location & a DIN-sized cd changer in the lower DIN pocket by the cupholders.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that sounds like a good idea. but i dont own a single cassette? i never thought about the usage when having drinks in the cup holder....would suck to spill some on my radio too.

those of you that have your cd player up top... what did you do to fill in that extra triangle area on the left side of the face? it leaves an ugly gap....and where did you get the pocket for the bottom?

o yea, the pic isnt working for me?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:13 AM

I runnin a Jvc deck with a fake cover at the stock location. I want to run a vafc on the underside of the cup holder pop up tray an have it motorized. Where the cup holder on the bottom is i gonna mount my voltmeter and a knock gauge.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:37 AM

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My CD player is up in the stock location. I have nothing down by my cupholders ecxept a pocket.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-02-2003, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (SOHC Beast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
those of you that have your cd player up top... what did you do to fill in that extra triangle area on the left side of the face? it leaves an ugly gap....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Metra makes a mounting kit, that fills in the shape of the original head unit. I will see if I can find the part # for you. It ran me like $10
Old 11-02-2003, 11:20 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrcivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a pic. No my interior is not blue, it's actually almost black but the flash makes it look blue. In a way, I kind of regret putting it down there to be honest because you can't use the cupholders anymore...no matter what size drink you have, it presses the cover thing against the volume **** and messes up the settings. It might work for some headunits, but not for Alpines...I still like it though because I can just pop up my cupholder cover and it hides my headunit. Here's the pic:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

is your radio flush with the DIN? i have an alpine deck in my 96 hatch down there also but it sits a little outside the DIN. don't know if you're suppose to buy a different kit or what.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:34 PM

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (Nameless EJ6)

i got ek4 and my CD player is down by the cupholder, and the radio/tape is in the stock location
Old 11-02-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (ek4bum)

cool idea.. never thought about doing that.. I just installed a new headunit.. I had to take out the old tape deck down there so I could fit the stock radio behind the dash so i could keep my keyless entry, where can I by a plat to cover up the hole behind the cup holders... Also for the person with the pic, you might want to hard wire that radar detector to the car.. I used to have the wires hanging down.. it drove me nuts... IMO... but I like where your head unit is
Old 11-03-2003, 12:08 AM
New User

in my 97 EK,..my radio is in the upper din,..and in my 96 EK,..my CD player is in the lower din,..here is a picture of my 96 EK setup

Old 11-03-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WiDeBoDyEK)

i just moved it to the bottom. looks 10X better. need to make a block off plate for the top now. i have a problem though. radio worked when i took out stock. when i put the panasonic in, wont egt radio stations.. just fuzz....then i moved it to the bottom.. then connected the solid blue wire for power ant.? and still doesnt work.

and yes, the ant. is plugged into the back of the head unit. just gets no radio stations at all.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mines at the bottom too...does suck with the cupholders...but...eh
Old 11-03-2003, 06:04 PM

6-disc changer under the passenger seat...
Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (sramDcivicEK)

To the person who asked about my alpine sticking out, yes it does. It does not sit completely flush. Thus, I may move it because I do miss the use of my cupholders. But it looks good so And hardwiring my radar detector does sound like a good idea I might do that this weekend. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I moved mine to the bottom b/c when my last deck got ripped off they tore the **** out of the dash and I was going ono a road trip and needed anything. It doesn't sit flush and the cupholders don't open the whole way but oh well. The only bad thing is when taking my console apart I must have lost the piece the catches to make the cupholders close so they are permanently open.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:14 PM
New User

Default Re: ek owners..where is your cd player? (96coupe)

so nobody's deck actually sits flush?

Quick Reply: ek owners..where is your cd player?