Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ek Mini Swap Problems! Crazy Speedometer, Limiter at 5k RPM, CEL! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Ek Mini Swap Problems! Crazy Speedometer, Limiter at 5k RPM, CEL! HELP!

Ok I'm new here so plz be gentle lol. I have a 1996 Ek Hatch DX with a D15B Block and Y8 Head....V-tec obviously. Normal bolt on's such as intake Dc 4-2-1 Headers and 2 1/2 inch exhaust back no cat. Competition Stage 2 clutch kit and Ultra Light weight Flywheel. And a couple of MSD add ons and a P28 with OBD1 jumper and chipped (I don't know on what). I've had the car a few years working great. Recently got a tune (because she's guzzling gas like crazy) and the guy said whoever tuned it before just through in some random tune. Well the day after the tune I noticed she was idling a little higher than normal at about 2k and fluctuating. Didn't pay it too much mind just figured I'd take it back some other time. 2 weeks later my speedometer started going crazy and sometimes completely dead. RPM gauge seemed fine. a little bit after that it was giving me trouble going past 5k-5.5k RPM like it's being limited. My V-tec is set to kick in around there somewhere as well so I'm not even able to hit v-tec. Once in a while I can go past it but very rarely. And now my CEL has been coming on every time I drive the car but goes away when I turn off and turn back on. Please someone help me. I love my car and can't stand to see her this way
Old 07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ek Mini Swap Problems! Crazy Speedometer, Limiter at 5k RPM, CEL! HELP!

Does your ecu have 2-step?
If your speedometer is not working than the ecu thinks your going zero mph which will basically be stuck in launch control mode and will limit the revs to wherever 2-step was set.
Sounds like your new "tune" kinda sucks...
as for the cel...next time it pops up, why not get the code its throwing so you know what it is?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ek Mini Swap Problems! Crazy Speedometer, Limiter at 5k RPM, CEL! HELP!

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
Does your ecu have 2-step?
If your speedometer is not working than the ecu thinks your going zero mph which will basically be stuck in launch control mode and will limit the revs to wherever 2-step was set.
Sounds like your new "tune" kinda sucks...
as for the cel...next time it pops up, why not get the code its throwing so you know what it is?
Woah I can't believe I didn't think of that! Man Thanks so much!! Wow I'm stupid lol. thanks a lot. And as far as checking the code the only way I know how is the trick with turning the **** on the ECU while the car is on ACC which means I have to turn it off no? Or can I still use the OBD2 plug under the dash....never tried. Sorry for being such a noob.
Also I've checked the wiring to the speed sensor and all seems fine don't know why it would be going crazy....should I just swap out the speed sensor?
Again thanks a lot!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use the plug under glovebox and jump it with a paperclip and turn the key on ignition two times till pump primes.
Your vss (speed sensor) sounds to be on its last leg. Just happened to me a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use the plug under glovebox and jump it with a paperclip and turn the key on ignition two times till pump primes.
Your vss (speed sensor) sounds to be on its last leg. Just happened to me a couple weeks ago.
Oh ok but doesn't that mean I would have to turn the car off? Because the CEL doesn't come back after the car is turned back on. And yeah I guess new sensor i is. Again thanks for knocking me on the head man. DOn't know why I didn't think about the Launch control.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What Ive always done when I had a cel turn on whereever I was is...kill the car (cel would still be lite) and jump the connector. If yours is coming on and off...jump the connector the next time it comes on.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What Ive always done when I had a cel turn on whereever I was is...kill the car (cel would still be lite) and jump the connector. If yours is coming on and off...jump the connector the next time it comes on.
Ok ok thanks will do. Thanks a lot for the quick replies.