Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EK hatch sway bars

Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Standing on the corner selling cocaine, rippin shows live on stage for hoes yellin my name
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EK hatch sway bars

I already know that this topic has been beaten to death already. I already searched the achives, my local dealer(who has no [freak]ing clue what I am trying to do) and a few friends. So I own a 99 DX hatch and obviously there is no sway bars. I already lowered it using springs only, Progress sports to be exact on stock shocks. This is only temporary as I save up for a set of Fightex units. I already have good wheels and tires on it, so before I go any further and move towards the motor I wanna finish up the suspension and brakes. I have tried to compile a list of parts but have a few questions.

I have sourced a set of EK9 CTR front lower control arms and shock forks. From my understanding these are exactly the same as SI units or no? I plan on replacing the bushings as well. I am sure I need the Si endlinks and brackets as well as my choice of sway bar. Is there any sway bars I can't use with this setup? I believe the EX sways are no-nos because the arms are different.

The rear setup seems easier. It appears I need Si endlinks, Si brackets, my choice of sway bar, and a sub-frame re-enforcement, which I plan on using Beaks. Is there anything I am missing, I am also considering a set of lower control arms to spruce things up with fresh bushings and minor weight savings. If this is all correct let me know. I will then copy this post over with a parts list so anyone else looking for the info can find this thread and have all answers in one place.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EK hatch sway bars (JDMThoughts)

For the front sway bar you have two options:

You can 1.) Source OEM front bar, 2.) Use an aftermarket bar

1.) You will need front lower control arms from a 96-00 civic HX, EX, SI, or CTR, the corresponding front sway bar, D brackets and bushings. As my understanding goes, you do not need the shock forks, only the front LCA's. It will all bolt up!

2.) You can use an aftermarket sway bar kit, such as that offered by suspension techniques. They make a special bracket that bolts onto existing DX/CX front LCA's in order to hook up their sway bar.

For the rear, it really depends on what set up you're going to use. There is a wide selection of adjustable aftermarket endlinks (blox, for example), so you don't necessarily have to use the SI ones. The stock rear LCA's have provisions for a sway bar already. In order to use a subframe reinforcement kit, you will need to drill out a hole in your subframe (simple job with a drill.)

PS: I may have what you're looking for check PM's.

Any questions?
Chris

edit:
this should help too http://www.jdmcivic.com/forums...68355

Modified by confucioussae at 8:15 PM 3/31/2008
Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally would not go with the CTR/Si 26mm front sway bar. You'll get more understeer than you have already. I would instead get EX/HX/LX front LCAs and get like the EX/HX/LX 22 front sway bar. For the rear, I would get at least an ITR/CTR 22mm. Of course you'll need reinforcement. JHPUSA has an ASR sway bar/reinforcement combo with the ASR 24mm rear sway bar.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Standing on the corner selling cocaine, rippin shows live on stage for hoes yellin my name
Default Re: EK hatch sway bars (confucioussae)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confucioussae &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the front sway bar you have two options:

You can 1.) Source OEM front bar, 2.) Use an aftermarket bar

1.) You will need front lower control arms from a 96-00 civic HX, EX, SI, or CTR, the corresponding front sway bar, D brackets and bushings. As my understanding goes, you do not need the shock forks, only the front LCA's. It will all bolt up!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I plan on using a set of Swift Bars. I am also going to use a set of Fightex coilovers as well, which I will get to pick my spring rates. So using a larger front sway can be aided by having a heavier spring rate in the rear. I am going with the BEAKS subframe re-enforcement. This is all besides the point. I have read in numerous other threads that says the shock forks need to be swapped as well. I just wanna make sure I have all the necessary parts before I tear the front end apart and be SOL. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea that link works and answers all my questions. It says Si lca and CTR lca require shock forks. It's all good. Looks like I am gonna be ordering some parts real soon.