Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ek hatch swap and suspension questions

i just got my first honda
a 1998 civic hatch dx 5speed

but the d16y7 ain't cutting it for what i wanna do
so i have a 95 ex sedan auto im going to pull the z6 out of
(yes i have a manual p28, actually have 3, a chipped manual p28 a stock p28 and an auto p28)

just wondering other than the obd2a/obd1 ecu and dizzy jumpers
what else am i going to need?

will the dx trans bolt up to the z6 without issue? (im looking but having a hard time finding a decently priced ex/si 5speed)
not doing the swap until spring but just wanna make sure i have everything thought threw before i do the swap

also can someone link me to a writeup on the nessicary vtec wiring for my particular swap?
and i've heard it's recomended to use a y8 throttlebody and sensors is that the case? what issues with wiring and connectors are to be expected?

or would i be better off selling the z6 parts off and going with a obd2 integra b18ls engine trans and ecu?

also my hatch needs a passengers side quarter pannel, where should i get it?
i hear alot about majestic honda but they said it was like $864 or something
are the ebay $50-60 replacement quarter pannels any good?

also plan on going to a junkyard and getting front control arms off an ex
and already ordered aluminum rear lowers so that i can install swaybars
just wondering what oem swaybars would be recomended for a daily that will see some track time, possibly an si front and gsr rear bar?

and on the list are coilovers
what coils have people used and liked or disliked?
i've gotten alot of opinions on brands (good and bad) from people who never owned them
thinking either progress s-II's or ksport's
trying to keep the coils under $700-800 (ksports i found were $760shipped is that a good price?)
sorry for the long post
any and all help is appriciated (keep search button rants to a min please i currently have half a dozen h-t tabs open now researching my questions)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek hatch swap and suspension questions

Welcome to Honda! and it sounds like you have been doing some research!

If you want to stay in the D-series realm:
The Z6 will work just fine. I don't have the link for the Vtec wire-up. The reason for the y8 T/B and sensors if for easier connection to your harness. The y8 T/B is also larger (58 mm vs. 55mm or maybe 56 vs. 55...something like that). You can run the y7 intake and t/b o the z6, but a y8 auto intake manifold with the y7 TB will work the easiest. I believe you can reuse your y7 distributor (some one check this). The tranny will bolt up but a lot people will say that is won't be great. The y7 tranny has longer gears for better fuel economy. I used to have a y7 and I can't comprehend driving something with any gearing that is much shorter honestly.

Going the B-series route:

This costs money no matter what anyone says. My recent swap cost about $2700 without tuning and I shopped around a bit too. OBD2 is great if you are looking for a stock swap, but if going turbo or high compression, you will need OBD1 ECU or a standalone EMS. You do net more horsepower and torque.

Its up to you, but if you are sure that you want to do a swap, start saving now or start collecting parts. You would also need little things like brackets, shift linkages, flywheel, clutch, and more annoying things.

I can't help too much with the rest. I don't run coilovers, and I have stock sway bars front and rear, but the ASR rear subframe brace and 19 (or 22mm) Sway bar combo is popular (and pricey).

If I were you, wanting to do a swap, I would focus on suspension, exhaust, and intake right now. Like a CAI, Catback exhaust, ES suspension bushings, camber kits, and whatever you like for the shocks/springs. This way all of these mods can be used with the future swap. Hope This helps! and Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats your price range for your project?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B20DelSol
Welcome to Honda! and it sounds like you have been doing some research!

If you want to stay in the D-series realm:
The Z6 will work just fine. I don't have the link for the Vtec wire-up. The reason for the y8 T/B and sensors if for easier connection to your harness. The y8 T/B is also larger (58 mm vs. 55mm or maybe 56 vs. 55...something like that). You can run the y7 intake and t/b o the z6, but a y8 auto intake manifold with the y7 TB will work the easiest. I believe you can reuse your y7 distributor (some one check this). The tranny will bolt up but a lot people will say that is won't be great. The y7 tranny has longer gears for better fuel economy. I used to have a y7 and I can't comprehend driving something with any gearing that is much shorter honestly.

Going the B-series route:

This costs money no matter what anyone says. My recent swap cost about $2700 without tuning and I shopped around a bit too. OBD2 is great if you are looking for a stock swap, but if going turbo or high compression, you will need OBD1 ECU or a standalone EMS. You do net more horsepower and torque.

Its up to you, but if you are sure that you want to do a swap, start saving now or start collecting parts. You would also need little things like brackets, shift linkages, flywheel, clutch, and more annoying things.

I can't help too much with the rest. I don't run coilovers, and I have stock sway bars front and rear, but the ASR rear subframe brace and 19 (or 22mm) Sway bar combo is popular (and pricey).

If I were you, wanting to do a swap, I would focus on suspension, exhaust, and intake right now. Like a CAI, Catback exhaust, ES suspension bushings, camber kits, and whatever you like for the shocks/springs. This way all of these mods can be used with the future swap. Hope This helps! and Good Luck!

for sure i think i might look in to a y8 auto intake manifold
also it seems like it would be easiest to swap the y7 dizzy internals to the z6 housing and all should be fine?

and i already have an aem on the y7 that my roomate will probably get for his 97 dx coupe and the 95 parts car has an aem on it and it looks like it'll work just fine in the ek

simplest way to put it is i traded a friend a set of rims for his ae86 (sr5 sadly but still a cool car) for pretty much all i could need off of the 95 for the swap
only thing is i think it's an hx or something? it's a 4 door and has 4 wheel disks and front and rear sways stock
but he won't even sell the rear disk swap
but yeah anything i need from the donor car is there for the taking except the trans is auto but i may have found an ex trans for $100 on cl

and to ad to the cai i also have a new header the car had a brand new stock exhaust when i bought it and i like kinda quiet so not changing the piping anytime soon and it's got stock res to a 99-2000 civic si muffler
super quiet outside but between the header and the intake it sounds mean inside and im sure the z6 will sound even better

and for sway bars im hoping to do front and rear (minus the price of the rear lowers i bought new) to get the front lowers,front and rear bars and brand new d brackets and endlinks for under $150-200
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would just make a mini me swap
easy swap just need to wire one line which is vtec if your using non vtec harness
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aaron Cayabyab
i would just make a mini me swap
easy swap just need to wire one line which is vtec if your using non vtec harness
i would but i got 230k on the y7 and it's leaking at the front main seal
so why not throw the z6 in there?
probably do fresh bearings and gaskets before i do it just to freshen it up a bit
Old 10-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RT_NEWYORK
whats your price range for your project?
no price range because it'll never be done
can't afford alot at one time but ill slowly be building it up
goal is a car that is dead nuts reliable anywhere including pounding out a few laps here and there
mostly goin to focus on handling
suspension,chassis,and tires
Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Things that won't plug and play:

-injectors (remove the blue clip from inside the connector)
-alternator (use the y7s)
-intake air temp sensor (swap plugs from your z6)
-idle air control valve (3-2 wire conversion required)
-add VTEC wiring
-swap distributor internals over
-obd2-1 ECU adapter
-find a z6 or y8 transmission you'll be glad you did
-use the z6 manifold and throttle body, it's the same size as a y8, 56mm
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Things that won't plug and play:

-injectors (remove the blue clip from inside the connector)
-alternator (use the y7s)
-intake air temp sensor (swap plugs from your z6)
-idle air control valve (3-2 wire conversion required)
-add VTEC wiring
-swap distributor internals over
-obd2-1 ECU adapter
-find a z6 or y8 transmission you'll be glad you did
-use the z6 manifold and throttle body, it's the same size as a y8, 56mm
thanks man
simple and to the point exactly what i was looking for
ordered an obd2a-obd1 harness adapter from rywire
and other than the z6/y8 trans i have everything else i need i think

one question, whats a good price on an ex trans?
found one locally for $160 with a brand new slave cyc