Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ek Cluster help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ek Cluster help!!

Hey just wondering if anyone knows how to advance the milage on a 2000 si gauge cluster i bought it brand new and want to put the original miles on it.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Ek Cluster help!! (KURUPTinc)

?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:34 AM

you cant
Old 09-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (infrontofu)

i think going to honda would be yer best bet
Old 09-24-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (marshun)

but i dnt think they would do it cause how would they know the right mileage
Old 09-24-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: (KURUPTinc)

i wonder if you went to a honda dealership and ordered the part through them and then had them do the labor to install and correct the milage?....im just guessing here. although i would like to have a si cluster in my dx and not have to deal with the it showing the wrong milage also.

has anyone done this??
Old 09-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: (hutch311)

the thing is i dnt have the original cluster anymore i was wondering if you can just turn the numbers manually. or jump some wires around to make it advance
Old 09-24-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Re: (hutch311)

Search...there are more tha a couple threads showing how to do it.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Re: (undertheradar)

i have the same problem as you but just on an eg.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:03 PM

there are a couple threads with info search si mileage advance
Old 09-26-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (jspecjoe)

so it can be done then.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:33 PM

i've tried searching and no luck
Old 09-26-2005, 08:42 PM

I need to know also.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KURUPTinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but i dnt think they would do it cause how would they know the right mileage
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you couldnt just tell them?

also i'd like to know if i could DIY this thing. i want to make my mileage match my motor
Old 09-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KURUPTinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey just wondering if anyone knows how to advance the milage on a 2000 si gauge cluster i bought it brand new and want to put the original miles on it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

take the speedo out of the cluster and loosen the 2 screws on the face. pull up the face as far as it'll go (the needle will be stopping it from going too far), and you'll see the pin that the odometer numbers spin on. you'll see that this pin is held in place by 2 clips on both ends. pop the pin out of the left clip with something small (like a tiny flathead screwdriver), and you'll be able to roll the left 3 numbers on the odometer. make sure you line the numbers up right, and pop the pin back into place. don't try popping the pin out of the right clip because you'll probably end up breaking the clip, and your odo will get all fucked up. this is how i've done it when buying new gauge clusters.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ek Cluster help!! (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

take the speedo out of the cluster and loosen the 2 screws on the face. pull up the face as far as it'll go (the needle will be stopping it from going too far), and you'll see the pin that the odometer numbers spin on. you'll see that this pin is held in place by 2 clips on both ends. pop the pin out of the left clip with something small (like a tiny flathead screwdriver), and you'll be able to roll the left 3 numbers on the odometer. make sure you line the numbers up right, and pop the pin back into place. don't try popping the pin out of the right clip because you'll probably end up breaking the clip, and your odo will get all fucked up. this is how i've done it when buying new gauge clusters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can see how that can be helpful, but if you have no past expierience messing with these clusters...do not do that! stay away from touching the needle, this will mess up the spedometer. the only safest way i have rolled odometers on ek clusters forward is like this...take the trim with the glass part off. then unscrew the screws that hold the spedometer gauge to the cluster off. carefully take out the speedometer gauge, i cant stress enough how importaint it is not to touch that needle. try to handle the gauge by the edges at all times. from the back of the gauge take a little screw driver or some sort of small tool, and manually roll the smallest digit on the reader. you can only safely roll it by one mile at a time. dont do straight to the thousand mile because you will force it and eventually, the miles will not roll. my friend thought he was smart and did this on his si cluster and a month later, the miles stopped rolling completely. whatever you do..if you hadnt done this before, just take your time, be super careful, and work slowly so you can observe everything you're doing. its not rocket science, it is fairly easy and takes a smooth hand. good luck.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ek Cluster help!! (beav)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beav &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i can see how that can be helpful, but if you have no past expierience messing with these clusters...do not do that! stay away from touching the needle, this will mess up the spedometer. the only safest way i have rolled odometers on ek clusters forward is like this...take the trim with the glass part off. then unscrew the screws that hold the spedometer gauge to the cluster off. carefully take out the speedometer gauge, i cant stress enough how importaint it is not to touch that needle. try to handle the gauge by the edges at all times. from the back of the gauge take a little screw driver or some sort of small tool, and manually roll the smallest digit on the reader. you can only safely roll it by one mile at a time. dont do straight to the thousand mile because you will force it and eventually, the miles will not roll. my friend thought he was smart and did this on his si cluster and a month later, the miles stopped rolling completely. whatever you do..if you hadnt done this before, just take your time, be super careful, and work slowly so you can observe everything you're doing. its not rocket science, it is fairly easy and takes a smooth hand. good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you do realize that 'touching' the needle isn't going to do anything bad to it right? you can touch it all you want, as long as you don't pop it out. my way doesn't require popping out the needle. it's as simple as it sounds.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:13 PM

A friend of mine had his engine rebuilt by acura. They used a label maker to record the mileage at the time of the rebuild, & just stuck it on the cluster. So Im not to sure they'll mess with the odometer.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go go power drill!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92'si)

i remember trying to roll back the DX cluster that came out of my hatch. i just wanted to try and well i broke it.

i would think that rolling it by the 10ths of a mile would be the best bet. but that'd take frever!
Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think you can do that
Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (str8ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by str8ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A friend of mine had his engine rebuilt by acura. They used a label maker to record the mileage at the time of the rebuild, & just stuck it on the cluster. So Im not to sure they'll mess with the odometer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there's no reason to roll back the mileage just because the engine was rebuilt. the rest of the car still has that mileage. it's illegall too.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 PM

I would just leave it alone because I've tried and no luck, so if you remember the milages from both the actual motor and cluster then go by that and you will be fine.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Ek Cluster help!! (ek_hatchi96)

so it has to be done manually there is no way to jump a couple of wires to make the numbers turn? but i guess that would take forever too
Old 09-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KURUPTinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so it has to be done manually there is no way to jump a couple of wires to make the numbers turn? but i guess that would take forever too</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm telling you, my way is the easiest and fastest. it'll let you turn the 3 left numbers, which are the only ones you really need anyway. you just have to be carefull when prying up the pin, because if you snap the tab, your speedo is trash

Quick Reply: Ek Cluster help!!