Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ek bike rack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ek bike rack?

i need help looking for a bike rack for my ek..

does anyone know where i can get one for the best deal besides yakima.com or thule.com...

im also looking for the shield that goes up front thanks

like this one

Old 08-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek bike rack? (norcalbayboy)

+1

i want one too
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hatch is soooo nice
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (gabe826)

That's Eran's car.

Either go to a shop that sells Yakima racks (or Thule or whatever brand does it for you) or make some WTB threads in the Marketplace.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabe826 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hatch is soooo nice </TD></TR></TABLE>

Fold down the rear seats in my 00 Si and my Felt slides right in if I take the front wheel off. I drive part way to work and ride my Felt the rest of the eight miles.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:45 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Burnt Toast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burnt Toast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fold down the rear seats in my 00 Si and my Felt slides right in if I take the front wheel off. I drive part way to work and ride my Felt the rest of the eight miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

lol^^^
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Re: (elusivEm1)

i want one to i love how it looks
Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 PM

anyone got pics of it on a coupe? Looks sweet on the hatch.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
H-T White Ops

Okay, with the help of Eran (who told me wtf "Felt" is), I think I have this figured out.

It looks like I guess since one person liked the hatch, I guess Burnt Toast was trying to say it's possibly to carry a bike around in a coupe too.

So here is the fixed / translated version.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabe826 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hatch is soooo nice </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burnt Toast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fold down the rear seats in my '00 Si and my (bicycle) slides right in if I take the front wheel off. I drive part way to work and ride my (bicycle) the rest of the eight miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>
http://www.feltracing.com/

Before it was just really confusing. Even Eran at first thought Burnt Toast must have posted in the wrong thread by accident.

Now I understand though.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gummybear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone got pics of it on a coupe? Looks sweet on the hatch. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Try here: OFFICIAL BIKE RACK PIC THREAD !!

Remember that these cars look good because of reasons other than the rack.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are some of you all that want these actually going to use the rack? Reason I ask is because I believe that is what Burnt Toast meant saying that his fits in his trunk. However like always do what makes you happy and not please others when it comes to mods on the car. I just see alot of people in my area rockin racks, but never a bike. Either way it looks nice, just felt like asking because when I wanted one for my bike I never found any in town due to everyone using them just for looks, but now just take the truck instead.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (thatboyrob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thatboyrob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are some of you all that want these actually going to use the rack? Reason I ask is because I believe that is what Burnt Toast meant saying that his fits in his trunk. However like always do what makes you happy and not please others when it comes to mods on the car. I just see alot of people in my area rockin racks, but never a bike. Either way it looks nice, just felt like asking because when I wanted one for my bike I never found any in town due to everyone using them just for looks, but now just take the truck instead.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Let's just nip this in the bud before we go off on this trail.

It doesn't matter why they want the rack.

As for why someone might not want to use the trunk though:
- Trunk racks damage the paint and trunk.
- Putting the bike/snowboard, etc in the trunk can damage the bike/snowboard, etc or the interior of the car.
- The bike/snowboard, etc. might not fit in the trunk.
- The bike/snowboard, etc. might have mud or grease or snow on it, which would make a worse mess in the car.

Roof racks are a pain in the *** to put on and take off the car. It's easier to get it professionally installed because it can really be a big pain and seem impossible, even with directions. Most of the time you won't ride with a bike, etc. on the rack, so you'll drive a lot with the rack empty. This is why you see empty racks all the time.

I find it difficult to believe all the racks in your area are being taken up for people wanting them for cosmetics instead. Eran got his on Craisglist, used, for about half price in total.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go around and ask for one =]
buy one ooff like a old man
Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek bike rack? (iamalex1212)

yakima racks are also good for transporting rims
Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek bike rack? (HYBRIDWORKS)

Old 08-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Roof racks are a pain in the *** to put on and take off the car. It's easier to get it professionally installed because it can really be a big pain and seem impossible, even with directions. Most of the time you won't ride with a bike, etc. on the rack, so you'll drive a lot with the rack empty. This is why you see empty racks all the time.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

while i agree with the awkwardness of installation....its not rocket science. one person can put it on/take it off in 2-3 minutes. lastly, i see the pics and see so many fo you people not spending the money on the "spreader bars". you're just asking for a bent-up roof on a hatch/coupe without the spreader bars. you want 24"-30" in between bars for proper weight distribution. especially those using a rocketbox/spacecase.

Modified by wesvailco at 3:23 AM 8/27/2008
Old 08-26-2008, 11:18 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesvailco &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">while i agree with the awkwardness of installation....its not rocket science. one person can put it on/take it off in 2-3 minutes. lastly, i see the pics and see so many fo you people not spending the money on the "spreader bars". you're just asking for a bent-up roof on a hatch/coupe without the spreader bars. you want 24"-30" in between bars for proper weight distribution. especially those using a rocketbox/spacecase.

[IMG] http://www.yakima.com/FileRender.ash...e=Big[/IMG]</TD></TR></TABLE>
Eran and I first tried to put his on. It looked really easy, but it was impossible to figure out exactly where everything was supposed to go to make it fit right. You would get one in place, but then the other side wouldn't lock.

Oh yeah, and Eran has used his rack to carry around a bike (no snowboards since he hasn't been into that for a few years now), but the bike needs some restoration work before it gets used.

That's not speaking for all roof rack owners, but it does cover the one car in the OP's first post.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is also a company called saris, they all cost about the same but the saris

is easier to install and has aero shaped bars for less wind noise.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:49 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: ek bike rack? (rd91sib18c5r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rd91sib18c5r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is also a company called saris, they all cost about the same but the saris

is easier to install and has aero shaped bars for less wind noise.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I see they have trunk mounted, hitch mounted and truck bed mounted (plus storage racks for home), but nothing for the roof, which so many seem to prefer.

http://www.saris.com/t-SarisRacks.aspx?skinid=1
Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ek bike rack? (rd91sib18c5r)

They have a roof rack also. The load bars have a auto center feature that makes

installing it super simple. The bike shop I work at special orders them.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:49 AM
H-T White Ops

I tried finding a Saris roof rack, but no luck on conclusive photos yet.

I did find this thread that says you don't need a stretch kit with two or fewer bikes though.

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one...ber=2
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason I had asked was not to start a debate, I wanted to see what the person posting was going to utilize theirs for. Because if not using multiple bikes, you could just go with one track and rail, or if not using a bike at all and perhaps a snowboard, surfboard,kayak or maybe a luggage rack you could save your self the time and money. I'm sure it is just like other mods, some people will ask whether they are functional or are they band wagon. I'm a firm believer in "to each their own" and make your vehicle for you and no one else.

I know not everyone is using theirs as just another useless mod, but I have asked perhaps 5 people in my area @ various import meets if they used the rack just for aesthetic purposes or just dead weight. More often then not they liked the way it looked, and that's cool. However for this reason alone I can never find any used ones in my area and am forced to buy a new one, so I just leave the hassle out and take my truck.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice research, NOFX. I figured if the OP was looking for a roof mounted bike rack, they would probably know what a "Felt" was. I just wanted to add that my bike (54 cm Felt F15) fits nicely in the trunk if I remove the front tire. It fits with the front tire, but takes some time to get it in just right. My bike costs WAY to much to have it greasy and dirty, so that is not a problem for me, but for others (especially Mountain bikers), it could be.

I would go with a trunk mount, or even put a light hitch on if I needed to haul multiple bikes. That roof mounted rack has to affect your fuel mileage by a couple miles per gallon and these days, that can add up in a hurry. Hypermilers say that even having your sunroof tilted open can adversely affect your fuel mileage.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I pieced my Thule system together through ebay by buying parts individually. If you elect to go that way, you need 400XT feet, fit kit 259, LB50 load bars and a 477 short roof adapter. WAY cheaper than trying to buy the complete kit you need, new or used. I probably have less than $100 in the racks minus bike carriers.

The racks are not tough to get on and off. If you've got bike carriers mounted to them, they come off as one complete unit in about 1 minute. Re-install is about 10 minutes if I'm taking my time.

I've always hated trunk mount racks because you can't get into the truck when there's bikes on them. I've usually loaded for travel when the bikes are with me and it's just really inconvenient. They also make it easy for anyone with a pocket knife to steal your bikes and it's over for everything back there if some dope rear ends you or you accidentally back into something.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Burnt Toast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thatboyrob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> However for this reason alone I can never find any used ones in my area and am forced to buy a new one, so I just leave the hassle out and take my truck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

-$76.00 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...69815

Quick Reply: ek bike rack?