Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ8 Tranny Shift Linkages

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ8 Tranny Shift Linkages

Well..this is more of a gripe than a technical artical but for those of you who have an EJ8 or any EK 5spd you'll be as pissed as I am when you start having problems going into reverse.

So, 3 days ago I put my car up on a lift and was doing a walk over (school thing for those who are like "why the **** did you do that") and I happened to noticed that my furthest passenger side shift linkage has a bushing in it that connects to the transmission and that I had a lot of play in the linkage. so I'm thinking " Oh, I'll just replace the bushing and that'll be that" well..I call my local honda dealership and get talking to the "technical service" department guys and they said that they had a shift linkage bushing but it was for the further driver side shift linkage..and I'm thinkin "well wtf! I just saw this thing yesterday." So, I go on down there and this lady pulls up the breakdown of the shifter mechanism and such..and goes through what all the parts are and I'm like "lady, I already know this ****" but of course more respectfully and then I point to where the bushing is, and she tells me "Sorry, but you cant buy just the bushing, we dont sell it. you need to get the entire shift linkage" and I'm like "..urr...alright, and how much is that"

you guys wont believe it. $178 freakin dollars for the damn thing..and all I want is the stupid freaking bushing!!

So, if anyone with a 96-00 Civic 5spd is having trouble getting into reverse..good luck. try and find one aftermarket or something, cause honda doesn't make one.

here's the image the lady pulled up

Part 12 is the linkage I'm talking about, and if you look up near 22, at that joint there is a bushing..if inbetween the mount and the linkage you have play..you're basically screwed and honda doesnt sell the bushing.

Part 13, the main linkage has a bushing you can buy. part #14 is that bushing and then 19 is the collar.

But yea...that's my rant...and if anyone has that linkage for sale..PM me, I'm tired of having to fight to get my car into reverse.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EJ8 Tranny Shift Linkages

wut?

so what part did you need??
Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at part 22, right next to that on the left hand side is something that looks like a U Joint. and in that joint is a little bushing. and when it gets old and worn you get play in the linkage and makes it more difficult to get into reverse..or it wont go in at all...and mine is worn down so its a bitch to get into reverse and all I need to do is replace that bushing...but honda doesnt sell it.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM

yea that sux man. i used to be a honda parts guy and i know exactly which bushing you're talking about. but sadly it doesnt come seperate from the linkage. hasport sells cheaper ones depending on what motor is in your car
Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Really now? I was thinkin I might have to go aftermarket..if you could link me to it or somethin that be great, otherwise I'm gonna start digging around there site.

it looks really easy to replace, looks like a single 10mm lock nut or somethin and then pop..out it would come.

edit: scrap that idea...they also only sell linkages. and the link to buy them doesnt even work..
Old 04-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ooooh the ivory plastic stuff in there!

aftermarket replacement or junkyard for one in better shape. either way you'll end up with the whole link
Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it plastic in there? It looked like poly or silicone.

Yea..It's lookin like I'm gonna have to get a whole new linkage.

those honda bastards...some company could make some serious money for making that damn bushing knowing that NO ONE else does save people like $150+ or so, the main linkage bushing is $4.50 or somethin like that through Majestic Honda