Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ej8 only starts when it wants to.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Ej8 only starts when it wants to.

Yes i have used the search button. Yay for diagnostics.

I'd like to start off by saying the car was stolen in 2011 and i know the ignition was hacked up (I have 2 keys, 1 for the ignition and 1 for everything else) so i believe whoever fixed it may have been a hack and didnt wire something correctly. The white switch that screws into the gold ignition only had one screw holding it in, which is what leads me to think who ever restored the car was a hack job. I have since used a zip tie to rig it together for now. Where can i obtain these screws? i know they come OEM with some special screws whose head breaks off for security. Ideally id like to find those. It's such a specific part i dont know where to look or what to call it.

On to the problem, lately the following has been happening almost every time i go to start the car:

When the key is turned and clutch is in, the instrument lights come on, but nothing happens. There is no crank, turnover, or clicks. Sometimes if i hold the key longer it will start up, or i have to continually keep turning it 2 or 3 times. It seems to always start with some coaxing, but there are times when it starts up beautifully right away.

This leads me to think there is possibly a ground that is just dirty or loose enough somewhere to go bad. I have checked all fuses, my battery is brand new and the connections are free of corrosion and solid. The car only has 84xxx miles so i dont think anything in the drive train would be the problem.

The only other things i could think of is my starter is going, or my ignition/ignition switch is bad.

Im not all that worried about it, if the day comes where it wont start after a few tries i can always pop start it. But i'd like to trace this down and fix the problem asap.

Help is much appreciated
Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Ej8 only starts when it wants to.

Originally Posted by Ethan Cole
Where can i obtain these screws?
Honda dealer

When the key is turned and clutch is in, the instrument lights come on, but nothing happens. There is no crank
Start by testing the ignition switch and checking the rubber stopper at the top of the clutch pedal.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ej8 only starts when it wants to.

Check the st terminal on the starter. Sometimes they come lose and don't always make a good connection. Same thing happened with my car. I pulled it off and squished the terminal down it a bit more so it was snug. Just a thought