Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ8 manual swap, price and parts list needed (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ8 manual swap, price and parts list needed (searched)

Yeah, I'm looking at manual swapping my civic this winter or spring and planning to part together the swap, my only issue is the costs of all of the parts needed. At first it seemed simple enough; get an ECU, clutch kit, clutch pedal, flywheel, transmission, shift linkage, and shift assembly. That was until I read that writeup on how to do it and I got worried.

So far, my coworker can sell me his:
97 manual transmission and axels for $250
clutch kit: $115
ACT 11lb flywheel $185

After that, I looked at more prices:
ECU off ebay 60-100
shift linkage + shifter assembly = 20-40
clutch pedal couldnt find price.

Now my main concern is the other parts that I didn't know I had to replace or that didnt come in the above mentioned:

manual IM and TB ~100 (is there actually a difference between this and my AT IM and TB??)
2 wire harnesses instead of the 3 wire i think my AT uses, no idea how much...
and some other stuff, which is why I'm asking in this thread.

How much am I looking at total for all of the parts? Initially I thought I'd top out around $650 to swap, but now it seems like I'll be borderlining 800-1000.

Can anyone who's done the swap, or know the list and prices give me their parts lists and how much I can get everything for?? I want to drive manual, but this really doesn't seem worth it.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Urrr...lmao

I've seen and done quite a few auto>man swaps..

I've never had to replace the throttle body and intake manifold on 'em....

I'm pretty sure what they're talking about is the IACV on the IM, just have to re-wire it I THINK, though even if u have to buy a new one, the IACV isn't much....
Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Urrr...lmao

I've seen and done quite a few auto&gt;man swaps..

I've never had to replace the throttle body and intake manifold on 'em....

I'm pretty sure what they're talking about is the IACV on the IM, just have to re-wire it I THINK, though even if u have to buy a new one, the IACV isn't much....</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you've done that many, then I'm going to assume that you haven't done any on the 96-00 civics. There is a difference between the AT and MT intake manifold and throttle body. The IACV is on the TB on the AT, and on the IM on the MT. You can reuse the IM, but you must drill a hole for the IACV and get a new TB. (this is only for the y8 Manifold)

Link to a full write-up.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337459

Edit: You don't need new axles. So unless you are getting BRAND SPANKING NEW axles from you friend, tell him you don't need them and get the tranny for cheaper.

Edit 2: You also don't need any new harnesses. You can modify your AT harness to work with the manual. All you need to do is cut out all the plugs that go to the Auto tranny and wire up the reverse light plug. (All this is in the thread I provided earlier)
Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, that's the thread i was reading. Thanks for the clarification, my main concern is costs and that write up didn't have the total costs, it gave me a parts list that i can't find all of the prices for. Do you think I can find most of what I need at the local junk yard?

Still looking for an average cost of the swap.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (jtchinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtchinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, that's the thread i was reading. Thanks for the clarification, my main concern is costs and that write up didn't have the total costs, it gave me a parts list that i can't find all of the prices for. Do you think I can find most of what I need at the local junk yard?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes a local junkyard would be your best and cheapest bet.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jtchinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still looking for an average cost of the swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I helped do that swap in the write-up, and Luserkid did mine. Cory (the guy we did the swap for and used for the write up paid about 1000 after all was said and done because some of his parts took a **** on him and others needed to be bought new.

I paid a little over a 1200 because I had to deal with some shady ****.

This swap could easily be done for 600 or less if you spend the time to look for good prices and know the parts are going to be useable.

With all that said, you can't get a true "you will be paying this much" answer because it will vary from one place to another. Some junkyards will have cheaper prices than others and such. Good luck with your swap and if you have any questions, check the thread or ask luserkid.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay thanks, I guess ill spend one of these weekends at a salvage yard looking for everything except what my friend has. if he won't sell the transmission alone i'll just salvage yard hunt for one.