Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ6 power windows and locks

Old 02-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ6 power windows and locks

Hey guys new to the forum.
I just got my 96 Civic LX. No idea if I even plan to keep it really. Just got a really good deal on it.

But anyways. My issue:

From the master (driver's) switch. I only can roll up and down the drivers window.
Passenger front switch will only roll the window down.
Other than that no power from any switch. Lights aren't dimming when I press any of the other switches or anything.

The other day I checked with a test light and I had power going to the driver's rear window, but no movement. Also I could roll the passenger front up and down. Now it doesn't have power and I can't roll that one up anymore.

As far as locks, none work. The P/O (whom I shall car Sir Dipshit) claims that the locks worked when he had the car. This is also the person who left wiring exposed everywhere, installed a 1250 watt amp to 400 watt subs, taped tweeters to the A pillars, used only two bolts on the EBay "racing" seats with no rails to adjust, and traded his car for a shitty pool table because he couldn't figure out why his car wouldn't start. Which simply turned out to be the starter cut relay not grounding. Also he lied about fluid changes and recent wiper blade replacements and failed to mention the leaking tire. However, I feel this should be noted just in case.

Anyways, I have no power going to the lock controller or switch on the driver's door. Also I press the lock **** down and it does not affect any others. The car did not come with keyless entry.

I have already done a lot of reading on this. It seems to be a pretty common issue with 6th gens. My dome light has power, so I don't believe the lock issue to be caused by Sir Dipshit's install of an aftermarket radio. It seems to me like broken wires in the door jamb harness is a likely culprit. So I pulled the rubber back some, and I didn't see any broken wires. Now this is the part that doesn't make sense. I didn't find power on ANY of those wires when tested with a test light. I guess it's possible I had a bad ground on the test light.
Is there any way to get either end of the harness out of the car. Like are there plugs on either side? I tried on the car side and it seemed to go into other harnesses. And on the door side I couldn't get the black clip off of the door where the harness enters.

Yes I have already checked under-hood and interior fuses. All are fine.

It seems to me a ground is the possible issue. Especially considering the starter cut relay also had a bad ground. I couldn't find it, so I simply grounded it separately. But I have no idea what ground I should be looking for/at. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by BlackMagnum2000; 02-05-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: left some stuff out
Old 02-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EJ6 power windows and locks

Maybe the first place to start is search your local auto salvage yard for a Master Window Controller to replace your current one. The contacts are one of the issues with 6th gen. civics. You should be able to test at the salvage yard and return it if it doesn't help. The window regulator/motors are also a known issue and there's many DIY's how to replace them.. also can be purchased used (salvage yard) or new on Ebay or Amazon.

Did one of the previous owners try to install new speaker wire through the driver side door's wiring harness? If so, maybe the nicked some harness wiring when drilling?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Maybe the first place to start is search your local auto salvage yard for a Master Window Controller to replace your current one. The contacts are one of the issues with 6th gen. civics. You should be able to test at the salvage yard and return it if it doesn't help. The window regulator/motors are also a known issue and there's many DIY's how to replace them.. also can be purchased used (salvage yard) or new on Ebay or Amazon.

Did one of the previous owners try to install new speaker wire through the driver side door's wiring harness? If so, maybe the nicked some harness wiring when drilling?
I'll look into a new switch. But if the passenger window won't roll up but will roll down with it's switch, wouldn't that issue be separate of the switch and the regulator ?

Also no, no new wires were run through the door harness.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

It seems to me like broken wires in the door jamb harness is a likely culprit. So I pulled the rubber back some, and I didn't see any broken wires.
Look again. Did you check the jamb connectors in both doors?
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Look again. Did you check the jamb connectors in both doors?
I only checked the driver's side since I have no power to the rear windows as well.
Probably tomorrow if I get the time I'll look again at both, test the motors (sending them direct power), and check power at the door jamb harnesses again.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't buy the master switch just yet. Those things rarely go bad. It's most likely open wires or a shot motor. It's easier if it's just the motor. If it's a wire issue, you're going to need a lot of patience.

If you don't have the manual and need diagrams on how to test the switch, wires and motor, let me know.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Take the door harness out and inspect it for any bare wires.