Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ej1 manual stuck in gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ej1 manual stuck in gear

Ok so I'm doing an auto to manual swap on an 93 ex coupe. I'm like 4 steps away from done before my dipshit self decided to see if the tranny would shift. Nope, stuck in third. Will not budge.

new everything, down to most bolts, minus tranny and clutch master cylinder. Guy I got tranny from swears he had no problems. I believe him. Linkage is fine, no hitting/touching/scraping anywhere. Moved around fine prior to install.

Really doesn't feel like the clutch disengages when the pedal is pushed. I bled the system thoroughly as I know it was full of air. New clutch line/slave. Slave is connected and pushing out, but maybe not far enough to disengage the clutch? I adjusted the master cylinder so the pedal engages higher, still nothing. Gonna bleed it again and see if it changes anything. Pedal still feels kinda squishy.

any thoughts/comments/suggestions/anything? I really dont wanna pull this tranny out, but everything I read points to clutch/tob, but both are new, installed correctly. I want to drive this car like yesterday. Already gave my wife my 13 ex sedan. If ya got anything please do not hesitate. Thanks.

Last edited by bmk6795; 07-13-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Can't type worth a damn
Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ej1 manual stuck in gear

Juat bled tf out of the clutch system. Its definitely not air in the lines. Any ideas before I pull this tranny back out tomorrow?
Old 07-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

You should be able to shift the transmission into all gears with the engine off. It is not necessary to depress the clutch to do this. Once the engine is running, if you cannot shift the transmission with the clutch depressed, then you have a problem with either the clutch assembly (including the throw out bearing) or your clutch hydraulic system.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Doesn't matter if your guy swore up and down. You should've tested there and then. Now you're gonna have to pull it back out
Old 07-14-2018, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You should be able to shift the transmission into all gears with the engine off. It is not necessary to depress the clutch to do this. Once the engine is running, if you cannot shift the transmission with the clutch depressed, then you have a problem with either the clutch assembly (including the throw out bearing) or your clutch hydraulic system.
Appreciate the response. I cannot shift with the engine off. Haven't finished putting car back together to try it on. What would cause it to not shift with the engine off? Same culprits.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Doesn't matter if your guy swore up and down. You should've tested there and then. Now you're gonna have to pull it back out
Quite honestly I didn't how to test it outta the car. Looked clean so I rolled with it. I asked him yesterday of he had had any problems with it via text, guy said he didn't have any problems, but idk.. gonna feel retarded if I pull that tranny and everything's fine.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:27 AM
Fish Twig

Stick a screw driver in the shifter and start moving it around. he probably left it outside and now everything is just crusted to **** in there.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stick a screw driver in the shifter and start moving it around. he probably left it outside and now everything is just crusted to **** in there.
I actually just tried that =/. Wouldn't budge. Removed linkage to see if I fucked up somewhere. Everything was good. Reinstalled and no go. I'm gonna replace the cmc for the **** of it. After that its gonna come back out. Thanks for the help man.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pic of said tranny after I got home with it if that helps any. Looking at it now maybe the insides are rusted out? Idk
Old 07-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is obviously the shifter stuck in what looks like third to me. The shifter is turned the correct way yeah? I'm 99% sure it is, but **** maybe I'm retarded? Does it even matter?

ok after looking at the diagram for the shift lever the bend is towards the back so its correct.. I think.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Disconnect the linkage at the transmission then put a screwdriver through the hole in the transmission shift rod that the "bitch pin" goes in. You should be able to move the rod in and out of the transmission in three distinct clicks, these are third, neutral, and fourth. In the neutral position you should be able to rotate the rod side to side, pushing it in or out in the rotated position selects 1-2 or 5-R.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Disconnect the linkage at the transmission then put a screwdriver through the hole in the transmission shift rod that the "bitch pin" goes in. You should be able to move the rod in and out of the transmission in three distinct clicks, these are third, neutral, and fourth. In the neutral position you should be able to rotate the rod side to side, pushing it in or out in the rotated position selects 1-2 or 5-R.
definitely a no go. Tried that this am actually, after I figured out it was possible. Tranny will be po pulled in the am and I gonna find out what's up. Appreciate the reply.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The clutch housing appears to be newer and NOT the original matching factory part that was mated to the transmission housing. BIG RED FLAG !!! This change is a challenging one and your average home hobby mechanic is not prepared for this job. Open up the case, take pics of what you see and post them up here so we can help.

Another thought: Take it back to the seller and get your cash back. Next, buy a transmission from a RELIABLE source instead of the best price on CL.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The clutch housing appears to be newer and NOT the original matching factory part that was mated to the transmission housing. BIG RED FLAG !!! This change is a challenging one and your average home hobby mechanic is not prepared for this job. Open up the case, take pics of what you see and post them up here so we can help.

Another thought: Take it back to the seller and get your cash back. Next, buy a transmission from a RELIABLE source instead of the best price on CL.
what makes the clutch housing appear newer? The color in the pic? Tranny will be out today and I'll pop it open. First time, but I'll throw pics here and there are like 19 different guides for taking apart a d series tranny.

yeah that's my bad on the clist. Idk he just had a clean looking ex tranny.

You can see the whole tranny a little better here. Does the clutch housing still look newer?

I should have it out today. I'll get better pics.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got it out. Put screwdriver into shifter and gave a jab with my palm and it hit neutral. Not even sure it needed to come out. Got it into third. After going through each gear it started getting easier. Maybe he left it outside and it got a little rustic. Idk. Gonna reinstall prolly next weekend and see what we get.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, looking at your newer pics my suggestion appears to be out of place. Maybe it was the lighting... but the case colors look very uniform in the above pics. Glad to hear you got it moving... while you have it out, you might still crack it open and see if there are any issues that need to be addressed instead of just putting it back in and hoping for the best.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, looking at your newer pics my suggestion appears to be out of place. Maybe it was the lighting... but the case colors look very uniform in the above pics. Glad to hear you got it moving... while you have it out, you might still crack it open and see if there are any issues that need to be addressed instead of just putting it back in and hoping for the best.
Ok I thought you were basing that off of how the colors looked. Think that was just flash and a bad camera angle. I think you're right about cracking it open to check everything before just tossing it back in. Will throw pics up here when I get it open. Back at work for the week so prolly wont be till Thursday.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:59 AM
Fish Twig

Yes, take your time taking it apart. You might end up losing your *****.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually have an extra one. So i can't lose more than 1, lol. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so quick update. Not really needing anything this time just sharing a fun story.

so against you guys, and my own, better judgement I decided to put this tranny back in the car. Well when it's in I dont have 5th and reverse is ehhh, but goes in. So I'm like **** it.

Got the car on the ground for the first time in a while anddddd it wont move! It was like 2 am and I was ******* pissed. Next day I changed the passenger side cv axle and viola lift off! Buttt the tranny is leaking from where the cv axle meets the tranny. So I dont leave the driveway yet.

so I go get a seal and put it in 4 different times and I still have a slight leak. Well I had jury duty and I'm like **** it your just going with the leak. Fortunately I took it on a test drive, the passenger side diff broke in under 5 miles...

sooo I've already got another tranny (that i shifted thoroughly prior to purchase!) That I'm gonna install next weekend. And eventually rebuild the piece of **** that's in the car now. Might do it here might make another thread.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Dude, you got shafted with a tranny. Lolz
Old 07-31-2018, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra
Dude, you got shafted with a tranny. Lolz
pretty hard too, but it's my own fault. Like 4 different things busted on it.. dude still texted me back claiming it was good. Other one will get tossed in this weekend if I feel like it.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

It may have worked fine for whoever you got it from. Crap like that happens periodically.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

An axle not fully engaged will cause the car to not move and fluid to run out where axle meets the transmission. You have to slam them in.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
An axle not fully engaged will cause the car to not move and fluid to run out where axle meets the transmission. You have to slam them in.
yeah that was the problem the first time I got it on the ground. Well the pass side axle was actually bad. Tossed my other one in and when I did my test drive I thought the passenger side axle had broke. Axle was fine but it nor the new one would stay in the tranny. The diff was mostly smooth, minus the metal chunks in there. Pretty sure it's all smooth now as when I put the axle in it started to roll in reverse and I heard more breaking. Then no more moving.

Quick Reply: Ej1 manual stuck in gear