Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ej1 ex front brake upgrade to gsr calipers y?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ej1 ex front brake upgrade to gsr calipers y?

so i have been reading up on what is necessary to upgrade my brakes all the way around. i have a 95 ex that had a d16z6 but i sold that and bought a jdm h22(not yet installed). i have been reading all the faq's on all the forums and doing searches. ive come to a few conclusions that i would like to confirm.

1st. the rotor size is the same between the eg ex and the gsr, but the gsr has bigger calipers. is this correct? if so is their a real benefit to adding these calipers. just because they are bigger does that always mean they are better?
2nd. i need to upgrade my proportioning valve to a 40/40. this is sourced either here in the classifieds(shameless plug) or from any integra non abs? is this correct?
3rd. i should upgrade my 7/8 ex master cylinder to either a 15/16 or a 1 inch master...1 inch is from a gsr not sure on the 15/16...if i buy a used one online are they marked so i know im not getting screwed?
4th brake booster should also be upgraded to a gsr. is their any others that will work? the gsr ones are expensive and hard to come by around here.

i already have delsol rear disk set up that is ready to be rebuilt with all new bushings and brakes. some clean up and paint. the only problem is the backing plates have rusted away to non existent, does anyone know of a source for these other than the dealer or junk yard?
thanks hope i have been clear with what im asking.
adam jeffery
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: ej1 ex front brake upgrade to gsr calipers y?

Originally Posted by farfrumugen
1st. the rotor size is the same between the eg ex and the gsr, but the gsr has bigger calipers. is this correct?
Yes.

if so is their a real benefit to adding these calipers. just because they are bigger does that always mean they are better?
The Integra's larger caliper piston will give you better brakes in the front, period. How much better is debatable, but they will offer at least some improvement over the EX calipers. (I have personally compared both calipers btw, the integra caliper piston is quite a bit larger)

2nd. i need to upgrade my proportioning valve to a 40/40. this is sourced either here in the classifieds(shameless plug) or from any integra non abs? is this correct?
Must come from a '90 - '97 Integra without ABS ('98 - '01 Integras use a completely different setup that looks like one found on '96 - '00 Civics) '94 - '97 prop valves are a direct bolt on, '90 - '93 require that you reuse the civic bracket.

3rd. i should upgrade my 7/8 ex master cylinder to either a 15/16 or a 1 inch master...1 inch is from a gsr not sure on the 15/16...if i buy a used one online are they marked so i know im not getting screwed?
4th brake booster should also be upgraded to a gsr. is their any others that will work? the gsr ones are expensive and hard to come by around here.
Here's the deal, you can either run a '90 - '91 Civic EX sedan MC and retain your stock brake booster, or you can run a '94 - '97 Integra Non ABS MC with matching brake booster. Both of these are a direct bolt on, and require no bending and flaring of brake lines. You can run the 7/8 MC but your pedal will be a little low. Using an ABS MC will require unnecessary bending and flaring of brake lines for little if any tangible benefit.

i already have delsol rear disk set up that is ready to be rebuilt with all new bushings and brakes. some clean up and paint. the only problem is the backing plates have rusted away to non existent, does anyone know of a source for these other than the dealer or junk yard?
You might be able to get new ones at parts store through Dorman, I know they have gotten into making this stuff for some vehicles, not sure about older honda's though. They don't cost all that much new from the dealer btw, they also really aren't necessary.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the answers man.

also, is their any markings on the gsr brake booster so i can clearly id its not from another vehicle?
thanks
adam jeffery
Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also as far as a gsr goes does it matter if its 2 door or 4 door?
thanks again
adam jeffery
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

is their any markings on the gsr brake booster so i can clearly id its not from another vehicle?
No. All '94 - '97 Integra brake boosters are the same anyway.

also as far as a gsr goes does it matter if its 2 door or 4 door?
No.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry totally missed that in your first response that it wasnt just gsr but all integras that had the same master and booster.
thanks again for your time
adam jeffery