Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EJ civic -Stalled on takeoff and wont start again- Troubleshooting Video Included !

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EJ civic -Stalled on takeoff and wont start again- Troubleshooting Video Included !

I was riding down the road gettin it a lil bit and stopped at a stop sign and whent to take off . When i dropped the clutch the car started rolling forward and then stalled out . It had enough momentum to get it into a parking area were we found out it was not getting any spark . I pulled the dizzy off and cleaned all contacts and it still wouldnt work . I figured it was the coil pack and replaced it with a TC-08A coil pack . Its turning over now and has spark at all plug wires , i checked the fuel and its getting fuel as well . I moved the dizzy back to correct spot ( did not mark it when i took it off ) by moving it slowly till it sounded right again .

Im bout dumbfounded as to whats exactly wrong with it but i got a few ideas .

Now i am sorta mechanicly inclined with motors but not alot , just getting into the scene but i learn very fast . I am a electronics technition so learing motors isnt to much of a challenge .

Anyways heres last things i can think of :

1. Timing jumped when car stalled or coil pack went out .
2. One or more spark plugs might not be firing good or at all .
3. Fuel injectors no good ?

Here is a video of my last start attempt in yard today :

http://youtu.be/0-ZbsnP-7o4
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EJ civic -Stalled on takeoff and wont start again- Troubleshooting Video Included

First you say the plugs are all firing, next you say they might not be? It sounds like you are getting compression and it is definitely cranking. It is either fuel or spark and I am going to say it is the spark. Make sure all of your plugs are firing first.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EJ civic -Stalled on takeoff and wont start again- Troubleshooting Video Included

I said there is spark at all the wires not the plugs themselves . I havent tested all the plugs yet it was to hot and i came back in for a break to post this .

Thanks for reply, ill go out right now and test the plugs . Think my brake is up right now lol , its like over 100 in the carolinas right now .
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it me or do the plugs not look like they're in the right order?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it was in the 100's when I was out swapping a steering rack in the hot sun on a gravel driveway... YUCK! We are just now getting some pleasant weather here in Indiana, 76 blue skies and sun today with a pleasant breeze

r22 may have something there, your wires on the dist get put on the right place?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by r22thomas
Is it me or do the plugs not look like they're in the right order?

Thanks man, they were in the wrong order and the ignition coil pack was also faulty. Again thanks you are a trusted brand lol. Issue fixed !
Old 08-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We must have mixed the plug wires up when we were in the parking lot after it stalled at the stop sign . It was dark and hard to see . Thanks again everyone , i got everything done perfect but it was the fact that i overlooked the simplest thing (plug wire order).

Multiple honda brains are always better than 1 lol !