Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Eibach springs installation into EK.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach springs installation into EK.....

well this is for my little brothers 96 ex four door. I have dropped my accord with neuspeed befor but it's been like 3 years and i had help from some friends.

I'd like to know what axle NUT size do i need and any tips and tricks you have to give to make the installtion smoother.

I just want to be able to help him out by doing things the right way, rather than cutting the springs and such. Please help me out.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think u need 14mm and 17mm wrenchs and/or sockets... preferably a torch to heat up the bolts cuz they made by hard to remove..(or a rubber mallet like i used)
Old 05-20-2003, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (Charlie Moua)

you mean the spindle nut? it like an 1 1/4", or like 34 mm. you dont want a rubber mallot, you want a bounce-less hammer. (the ones with sand in em)
Old 05-20-2003, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the comments coming.

BTW should my little bro run out and grab a "Spring compresser"? any place rent them out ?
Old 05-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that axle is 32mm
Old 05-20-2003, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

spring compresser makes things a lot easier. you can rent them at auto-zone
Old 05-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (Mocky57)

Why would you wanna take out an axle nut?? You don't need to do that to change springs. For the front, you need a 19mm to take off the wheels, a 17mm wrench, a 17mm socket, 10mm for the brake lines, 14 mm for the fork, upper cup, and strut. Don't forget the allen wrench and a 14mm wrench. For the rear it's all 14mm socket and wrench, plus the allen. A spring compressor would be nice. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (4DeepCivic)

Should be just abou taking the strut assemblies out and then you can compress them a lot easier once they are out, no axle nut should be involved.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i never touched my brake lines when i changed mine
Old 05-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i never touched my brake lines when i changed mine</TD></TR></TABLE>

you don't have to on EKs.

changing springs is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy

BUT SPRAY SOME (MAKE THAT A LOT) OF WD40 ON THAT GOLD NUT ON THE TOP OF THE ASSEMBLY. and do this BEFORE you starting taking stuff apart. it is so easy to strip that allen key hole, you have no idea.

ALSO

do NOT rent a spring compresser. this is not what you need.

rent a STRUT compresser. they are 2 completelly different things.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4DeepCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you wanna take out an axle nut?? You don't need to do that to change springs. For the front, you need a 19mm to take off the wheels, a 17mm wrench, a 17mm socket, 10mm for the brake lines, 14 mm for the fork, upper cup, and strut. Don't forget the allen wrench and a 14mm wrench. For the rear it's all 14mm socket and wrench, plus the allen. A spring compressor would be nice. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sweet!
this is why i love honda-tech! that gives me a much better idea of what needs to be done. Thanks bro!

... also to make sure..., i will need to rent a STRUT compressor NOT a spring compressor?

Old 05-24-2003, 11:22 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

... also to make sure..., i will need to rent a STRUT compressor NOT a spring compressor?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, you need to rent spring compressors, but if you had access to power tools, not scared, and are strong... you can just pop it off with the airgun while putting force on the cap.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (SuperMan19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperMan19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, you need to rent spring compressors, but if you had access to power tools, not scared, and are strong... you can just pop it off with the airgun while putting force on the cap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

fine, rent a spring compresser. i don't know WTF i am talking about. but don't come crying to me when you have to go back to autozone and rent a strut compresser because a spring compresser is the wrong tool for the job.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (Chris y0!)

A spring compressor is just that and looks like this.

As you can see this will not work with your shock and spring assembly as it takes up the space where the shock would be.

This is what you need.

Make sure you look at them before you leave the store to make sure they are the correct ones.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (mantic6t9)

EXACTLY.

spring compresser-

strut compresser-

thanks for the pictures mantic
Old 05-24-2003, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quick question do u need a spring compressor to put stock springs back on?
Old 05-24-2003, 12:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

fine, rent a spring compresser. i don't know WTF i am talking about. but don't come crying to me when you have to go back to autozone and rent a strut compresser because a spring compresser is the wrong tool for the job.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, you are not only cocky, but incorrect. you have to compress the spring to take tension off of the strut nuts, so when you take the cap off the strut, the whole assembly doenst take-flight into your face.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:59 PM

seems to me even by your last post that you dont know what the difference between a spring and a strut it...

If you look on that second pic, the SPRING is being compressed in that pic. How would something that compresses a SPRING be a strut compressor...

please stop arguing now, and save what little face you have.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK

If you don't have access to a spring compressor you can just unscrew the strut nut until it pops off. This is iinda dangerous but it works. I just put one tire on top of the strut assembly and another directly on top of the end of it so everything shoots off inside the rim. Just be carefull because my friend put a huge dent in his car when the nut shot off right into his door panel.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK (Bigphlip)

Both pics are correct in saying spring compressors. The first pic is an internal spring compressor, the second pic is the macpherson strut spring compressor.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4DeepCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you wanna take out an axle nut?? You don't need to do that to change springs. For the front, you need a 19mm to take off the wheels, a 17mm wrench, a 17mm socket, 10mm for the brake lines, 14 mm for the fork, upper cup, and strut. Don't forget the allen wrench and a 14mm wrench. For the rear it's all 14mm socket and wrench, plus the allen. A spring compressor would be nice. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do not need to take the spindle nut off to change the springs. this is only if you plan to take off the axle or steering knuckle, hub, caliper assembly.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:19 PM

Only n00bs use springs compressors . You dont need to compress the aftermarket springs because they are short enough to fit without doing so (at least mine were - Ground Control). For the stock setup all you have to do is unscrew the nut on the shock piston (the nut keeping it all compressed) while pointing the whole assembly into a cardboard box. The shock blows its load into the box and nothing gets lost. Its much faster and easier.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:46 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (SuperMan19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperMan19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, you need to rent spring compressors, but if you had access to power tools, not scared, and are strong... you can just pop it off with the airgun while putting force on the cap.</TD></TR></TABLE>haha you can do it just with an allen wrench and a regular wrench just be careful ...were ghetto out here in the "desert"
Old 05-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Eibach springs installation into EK..... (CiRcUiTsi)

bah spring compressors...vice grips
Old 05-24-2003, 06:38 PM

Default Re: (Damon)

Actually Damon, you are quite incorrect.
If you go to Autozone, Shucks, Kragen, Checker, wherever, and rent a "Spring Compressor", you will see that it has a bolt running through the middle of it, right where the strut would go, and therefore it would be useless when doing springs on a car with suspension such as ours.

There is no argument to which is a strut, and which is a spring. But you are making a complete *** out of yourself by saying that he's incorrect when ANYONE who had ANY experience would know that a STRUT COMPRESSOR must be used to compress the springs on our suspension. I have done suspension on 4 EG's in the past month, and each time I rented - You guessed it - A STRUT compressor. Not a spring compressor.

Furthermore:
MacPherson Strut Compressors:
http://www.handsontools.com/st...=1972

Spring Compressors:
http://www.handsontools.com/st...23886

Jus fo decorashun man

Quick Reply: Eibach springs installation into EK.....