Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg6 with HID in cali is not legal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg6 with HID in cali is not legal?

im planning to put HID on my eg bcoz i need more vision at night specially when rainning... but im curious if its legal here in california or if its not legal. can you guys answer me pls tnx...
Old 04-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont see why it would be
________
Avandia lawsuit

Last edited by MasterShake; 04-18-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLAZE_13)

well seeing that plug and play hid kits are illegal and same with retrofits you will have to buy tyc projectors with the dot stamp with their hids. the headlights are made for their projectors. so yes illegal without dot stamp
Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zacatkings)

lol is anything legal in cali?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:45 PM
dumped_ej1

Default Re: (RATED EG)

well it might be illegal but i wouldnt see any cops pulling you over for it. most cops wouldnt give your headlights a second thought once they drove past you so i dont anything to worry about.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (smokerz212)

Illegal.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (dumped_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dumped_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well it might be illegal but i wouldnt see any cops pulling you over for it. most cops wouldnt give your headlights a second thought once they drove past you so i dont anything to worry about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, at most they'll just think you have the ricer blue lights that you get a pep boys for $20 and move on. If they do hassle you about it, just tell them that they came from so-and-so car and you made them fit in your car.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smokerz212 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im planning to put HID on my eg bcoz i need more vision at night specially when rainning...</TD></TR></TABLE>

isn't H.I.D. lighting supposed to suck more than halogen in the rain? something about the water drops bending the lightwaves or something?
Old 04-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (SpydiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isn't H.I.D. lighting supposed to suck more than halogen in the rain? something about the water drops bending the lightwaves or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think so.. i know my halogen projectors suck *** in the rain.. i cant see **** for nothing maybe like 1 foot in front of me.. but at night when its not raining i can see about 20 feet in front of me
Old 04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smokerz212 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im planning to put HID on my eg bcoz i need more vision at night specially when rainning... but im curious if its legal here in california or if its not legal. can you guys answer me pls tnx...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it isn't stock from the factory with HIDS, its illegal.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">isn't H.I.D. lighting supposed to suck more than halogen in the rain? something about the water drops bending the lightwaves or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not a real hid system w/ correct hid projectors/lens....but the HID fake bulbs. yes.

oh yeah...heeres a small thing about what they dont want you doing..

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (SjCiViCHB)

hm, I thought I read something about it on hidplanet.com forums. idk. I still drool over retro's tho, it's definitely on my list!
Old 04-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Technically speaking, if HID's are predominately blu-ish spectrum - yes, they would be worse for rain (assuming the correct projector/reflector & same light output is used between them). Blue light bends more when going through various densities (on pink floyd's dark side of the moon cd, the blue bends the most). Longer wavelengths (red at the extreme) penetrates the most and deflects/scatters the least. I'd have to guess the warmer (more towards red) lighting halogen gives would penetrate the best. Another reason fog lights tend to be yellow from the factory, not 'ion blue' or whatever.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (HiProfile)

From what I was told from a few sources is that technically HIDs aren't legal period. But since the OEMs put them in no one really says anything, even with the proper setup there is still a lot of glare. Just what I heard though.....
Old 04-15-2006, 02:14 AM

you in LA, where everyone rollin on 20 in dubs or 15 feet lifted trucks. you think cops car about hondas
Old 04-15-2006, 02:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont think so.. i know my halogen projectors suck *** in the rain.. i cant see **** for nothing maybe like 1 foot in front of me.. but at night when its not raining i can see about 20 feet in front of me </TD></TR></TABLE>
You know you shouldn't have too hard a problem seeing w/ stock lights in rain. Is your car lowered? Did you readjust the headlights? That might be the problem. Another thing you can try if your lights are adjusted is there's a chemical cleaner for the headlights I got from autozone gets them SUPER CLEAN. I did one the best I could w/o it and then used the cleaner after and it still got more cleaner.
(Don't mind my english making sense I just typed what my mind was rambling)
Old 04-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (murtnabila)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murtnabila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You know you shouldn't have too hard a problem seeing w/ stock lights in rain. Is your car lowered? Did you readjust the headlights? That might be the problem. Another thing you can try if your lights are adjusted is there's a chemical cleaner for the headlights I got from autozone gets them SUPER CLEAN. I did one the best I could w/o it and then used the cleaner after and it still got more cleaner.
(Don't mind my english making sense I just typed what my mind was rambling)</TD></TR></TABLE>

no i have projectors and i adjusted the headlights to where they were before i put them on and its all good if its not raining at all.. if its a normal night.. i can see bitchen.. but if it rains.. they dont light up the wet ground for ****
Old 04-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i have projectors and i adjusted the headlights to where they were before i put them on and its all good if its not raining at all.. if its a normal night.. i can see bitchen.. but if it rains.. they dont light up the wet ground for **** </TD></TR></TABLE>

halogen projectors? the older ones and such use H3 bulbs = foglight bulbs = sucky headlight bulbs. I've had both, the stock headlamps work much better in the rain then th e projectors...mainly because of the two diff type of bulbs imo.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (SjCiViCHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont think so.. i know my halogen projectors suck *** in the rain.. i cant see **** for nothing maybe like 1 foot in front of me.. but at night when its not raining i can see about 20 feet in front of me </TD></TR></TABLE>

Blah, I'm probably goign to stick with OEM then ;(

Here's the clearup about why people are all like "werd" about OEM and halogens and dealers...it goes like this...for NY anyways...

If the halogens/HID whatever other names they have now COME STANDARD or are AN OPTION on the car's MODEL <u>AND</u> YEAR they are legal, if ANY aftermarket HID's, halogens, etc. are put into a car that originally did not come standard nor have the option to put those kind in, they are ILLEGAL....now most cops don't have a reference book to tell them which cars came standard or with an option of halogens so they usually won't bust ur ***** about it..

As for all states, as long as they're not pointed at windshield level 20 ft away the cops usually won't give a ****..if they're blindingly bright & high and u pass a cop, he's likely to pull a u turn (this last paragraph is strictly my experience based on what I've seen people do and how I've seen them get pulled over)... I'm sure there are some states that prolly outlaw them all together on the other hand...

EDIT:
Some states got some weird laws regarding lights...like in pennsylvania, where my GTI was originally purchased, the high beems can't be on at the same time as the fog lights (if you turn ur brights on the fog lights just aren't on, even if the switch says they are)... though I've seen them on NY models that they both can be on, because it's not the law in NY...so some laws are just weird like that, a lot varies from state to state, iono where you can get a book or anything online that'll tell ya everything that's illegal regarding cars per state O.o -- Probably somebody compiled something..

like in Cali u guys have to have ur exhausts below a certain decibal...in NY you can get pulled over for ANY decibal the cop deems is too loud for street usage OR ANY MUFFLER that isn't stock on that car (so that's like, any muffler for a civic, with those big *** 4 inch outlets)
Old 04-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Blah, I'm probably goign to stick with OEM then ;(

If the halogens/HID whatever other names they have now COME STANDARD or are AN OPTION on the car's MODEL <u>AND</u> YEAR they are legal, if ANY aftermarket HID's, halogens, etc. are put into a car that originally did not come standard nor have the option to put those kind in, they are ILLEGAL....now most cops don't have a reference book to tell them which cars came standard or with an option of halogens so they usually won't bust ur ***** about it..

like in Cali u guys have to have ur exhausts below a certain decibal...in NY you can get pulled over for ANY decibal the cop deems is too loud for street usage OR ANY MUFFLER that isn't stock on that car (so that's like, any muffler for a civic, with those big *** 4 inch outlets)</TD></TR></TABLE>

for the lights. Yes they HIDS retrofit or not are illegal if your car didnt come with them standard or as an option from the factory.

Cali is the same way with exhaust. putting on an aftermarket muffler = Modified exhaust. True all exhaust must be 95db or lower to be legal, but most cops dont carry a decible reader, they're not required to. so they can pull you over based on thier judgement.

heres the law they passed on exhausts noise...
New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I hear ya man, unfortunetely I've studied most of these laws for NY...it falls in some with the patriot act believe it or not which gives the cops more power...like a cop can say you were drunk at the scene of an accident based on his "observations" even if you read a 0.00000% on a breathalizer test...the patriot act gives cops way too much lee-way in my humble opinion, in any event, I think the whole "cop judgement" thing was around before the patriot act, I just thought I'd stick that little smiggen in there...

Like I said b4, as long as it's not piercingly loud and as long as ur lights are piercingly bright, you shouldn't have problems, though the cops could bust your chops if they have to meet their quota for the month...
Old 04-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

A hid kit in an oem housing is illegal and WILL get you pulled over. The problem is that oem housings aren't designed with that much light output in mind so when you add hid's you get HUGE amounts of glare.

I was blinded the other night on the freeway from a car coming the other way with hid's in stock housings. Wanted to beat the **** out of the ******.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: (a_s_ol_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a_s_ol_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was blinded the other night on the freeway from a car coming the other way with hid's in stock housings. Wanted to beat the **** out of the ******.</TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe we passed eachother :x

i use my 8000k with jdm housings, and i still get a random person thinking i have highbeams on :/

Old 04-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wspcivic)

8000k? Na it looked more like purple than that, and I doubt you drive a 2000ish 2dr red accord
Old 04-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao, vehicle descript, prolly got the plate # and address to kick the guy's *** :-P

Quick Reply: eg6 with HID in cali is not legal?