Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr?

ok here is a quick question for you guys.
I have a 1992 civic 4 door
I want to KEEP the STOCK oem cat and oem exhaust system (sleeper)
I have B18c1 & gsr header

I already have my turbo kit ready to go but I need to swap in my motor and drive it a few months until summer & when i save up enough for hondata then i will install my turbo kit. So what that means is that i need a cheap OEM header that will bolt up to my stock CAT & EXHAUST system with out modifying it.

Some say use the GSR, some say I have to use the ITR because the itr is about 3inch longer in piping and will reach to connect with my stock exhaust system.

Some say ITR and LS are the same lenght.... ?
and GSR & B16 oem headers are shorter... ?

HELP
Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr? (Charlie Moua)

the GSR is too short.i have used the LS header before and it was the right length.everything i've read points to the ITR header being the same length as the LS,so it should also work,although i don't have firsthand experience with it.
all this is from working on hatch/coupes,i'm assuming it will be the same for the 4-door.
chris
Old 01-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr? (TeamNextGenChris)

so I need to get a cheap OEM LS correct?
if so anyone got one for sale? LOL

Old 01-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr? (Charlie Moua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so I need to get a cheap OEM LS correct?
if so anyone got one for sale? LOL

</TD></TR></TABLE>
somthing else you may want to keep in mind:
when i first did my GSR swap,i didn't have the moeny or time to get a different header so it would bolt up,but i didn't want to permanantly modify anything...
i just went to the local muffler shop and bought a short length of 2" exhaust pipe and two 3-bolt flanges.i figured out length it needed to be(about 4-5")and cut the pipe to length,then welded it all up.this piece bolts between the cat and backpipe.the GSr header then bolted up fine,and it was totally reversible for about $10 in materials.i'm sure a shop would weld up the same thing for you fro about $25-30....cheaper than a new header.
chris
Old 01-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr? (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
somthing else you may want to keep in mind:
when i first did my GSR swap,i didn't have the moeny or time to get a different header so it would bolt up,but i didn't want to permanantly modify anything...
i just went to the local muffler shop and bought a short length of 2" exhaust pipe and two 3-bolt flanges.i figured out length it needed to be(about 4-5")and cut the pipe to length,then welded it all up.this piece bolts between the cat and backpipe.the GSr header then bolted up fine,and it was totally reversible for about $10 in materials.i'm sure a shop would weld up the same thing for you fro about $25-30....cheaper than a new header.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

great idea
want to do that for me since you already done it before.
or if you still have that old pice your not using?.

I need a simple quick way of having a quite hybrid soon.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used my old adapter on a friend's swap.otherwise i'd give it to you.
after i bought all the materials,made it and shipped it to you,i'm sure a local muffler shop could make it for you cheaper.any reputable shop can do it.just put everything together(cat bolted to manifold)and measure the exact length of the gap you have.then pull the cat off and take it to the shop with you so they can match the flange.
chris
Old 01-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah thanks I might just do that.
if i can't find a cheap ls header
Old 01-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i figured out length it needed to be(about 4-5")and cut the pipe to length,then welded it all up.this piece bolts between the cat and backpipe.the GSr header then bolted up fine,and it was totally reversible for about $10 in materials.i'm sure a shop would weld up the same thing for you fro about $25-30....cheaper than a new header.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is exactly what i did with my gsr swap, except the shop charged me $60, but then again i had them weld a bung on the extension because for some reason my header didn't have one for the o2.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr? (whoDAT)

hey man. heres what u do. if you have a stock 92-95 civic that is dx or si or ex (as long as its a model that has the cat on the bottom of the car not liek the CX where the cat is on the header) if you drop a b series motor into the car. all u need is a 94-2001 LS header and down pipe along with a LS CAT.

u must use the LS header and LS CAT. if u try to use the ls header with the civic cat it wont work. so basically use a ls header and ls cat and everything will bolt up with no trips to the muffler shop. i ahve done this before on peoples cars that were pushed for money or time.

all u have to do is unbolt the civic CAT and bolt on the LS cat then bolt up the header and voila your done
Old 01-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg4door + c1 + OEM cat & exhaust....=which OEM header? ls,gsr,itr? (nextelbuddy)

well what about ls header and GSR cat?
i have 2 gsr cats and would hate to have to get a LS one
Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have never tried that. because when i looked at the ls header and the gsr cat the EARS of the cat and header did not match up fro what i saw. but no sense in not trying. u can always trade someone or sell one gsr cat and get a ls cat. sorry i dont have more info for u
Old 01-23-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks that was great info!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just compared the GSr and Ls cats in my Helm manual.although the cat body is shaped a little differently(the GSR cat has the O2 bung in the cat,on the LS the bung is on the downpipe).the flanges appear to line up the same between the two.
looks to me like the LS cat should work fine.if there is a difference in length of the two,that swould be no problem as you could make the adapter pipe whatever length is needed.
chris