Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   eg - using foglights as DRLs (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/eg-using-foglights-drls-3234759/)

liyan1430 01-05-2015 10:32 AM

eg - using foglights as DRLs

Hi guys, I want to install foglights for my eg. But I think it would be better to use the foglights as my day time running light, which they will turn on when I start my car and off when I turn off my car. Is this possible? If so, what should I do?

Thanks

ford9n 01-05-2015 11:38 AM

re: eg - using foglights as DRLs

yes it is possible

there are a few different ways to do it:
you can connect the fog lights to any 12v ACC power (power that is only on when the key is on) - they will stay on anytime the key is on - but you cant shit the off.
you can run the fog lights to a switch on your dash and turn the on/off when you want.
you can probably tap into your headlight power to trigger a relay that runs the fog lights also.

how are your electrical skills?

liyan1430 01-05-2015 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by ford9n (Post 50140970)
yes it is possible

there are a few different ways to do it:
you can connect the fog lights to any 12v ACC power (power that is only on when the key is on) - they will stay on anytime the key is on - but you cant shit the off.
you can run the fog lights to a switch on your dash and turn the on/off when you want.
you can probably tap into your headlight power to trigger a relay that runs the fog lights also.

how are your electrical skills?

I am a noob, I have done the his covertion for my headlights, since headlights came in as a kit, which was real easy to install with. But never done anything like the foglights installation. I think the first one u mentioned above should be the easiest one for me and I believe that's what I want.

Thanks

ford9n 01-05-2015 12:05 PM

do you have a multimeter?

the next step is to find a power wire that is on only when the key is on.

liyan1430 01-05-2015 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ford9n (Post 50141054)
do you have a multimeter?

the next step is to find a power wire that is on only when the key is on.

I don't have one, but I think my friend has one tho. So can u list me all the steps that I need to do for the wiring? Thanks

ford9n 01-05-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by liyan1430 (Post 50141060)
So can u list me all the steps that I need to do for the wiring? Thanks

you are better off googling "honda civic fog light install" or similar
there are many before me that have shown pics/videos on how to do it - far better than i could.

liyan1430 01-05-2015 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ford9n (Post 50141073)
you are better off googling "honda civic fog light install" or similar
there are many before me that have shown pics/videos on how to do it - far better than i could.

Gotcha, thanks for your info. :)

Former User 01-05-2015 02:07 PM

Re: eg foglights question

Why not just wire the low beams to turn on whenever the key is in ON(II) and thereby save yourself from installing the fog lights?

Do you live in Canada?

canadaek 01-05-2015 02:29 PM

Re: eg - using foglights as DRLs

You might want to check local laws before doing this . It's illegal in several places to have fog lights and high beams on at the same time

rockycat 01-06-2015 08:25 AM

Also fog and no headlamps on is a no no. Fog and low beam.

deschlong 01-06-2015 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by rockycat (Post 50142473)
Also fog and no headlamps on is a no no. Fog and low beam.

Not everywhere, but generally, yeah. And not with high beams. Basically, this is a bad idea. OP should wire his low beams to come on with the car, or (better) get city lights from EDM headlights wired to work when the key is in ON(I). Don't have them turn on with ACC, this is a waste.

Former User 01-06-2015 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by deschlong (Post 50142630)
...or (better) get city lights from EDM headlights wired to work when the key is in ON(I). Don't have them turn on with ACC, this is a waste.

I think you meant ON(II).

Matt_EH3 01-06-2015 10:10 AM

He can always do both.

Wire a switch in line with an ON (II) signal source, then to a relay that will turn the lights on/off.

I did that with a previous car I had. I had found an SRS signal in the fuse box and the car was not equipped with SRS, so I used that. That way, they can be turned on or off by hand and will never come on when the car is off. No chance of forgetting them on when parked that way, and they can be turned off when the high beams need to be on.

However, it is not fool proof. You can forget them on when you turn on the high beams, and they are not real DRLs if you do that to make the car pass inspection.

deschlong 01-06-2015 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 50142635)
I think you meant ON(II).

Yes.