Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Turbo Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Turbo Overheating Problem

Alright well for starter's I have a 1992 Civic SI, with a B18C( Integra Type R) and a B16 head. Fully built bottom end with J.E low compression piston's (9-1). Eagle Rod's, Walbro 255 High Pressure Fuel Pump, RC 750cc injector's. Garrett t3/t4 60 trim turbo (18psi of boost), tial sport wastegate, greddy type S blow off valve Overheat protection(if the car get's hot the motor start's to fuel cut pretty much feel's like the car is running out of gas), tuned on eCtune by a guy named DK. And I'm probably missing a few thing's. Alrighty so here's my issue, when first tune on my car it idles or w/e and it get's warm. From there I instantly turn my heat on full blast cause if not, the heat will creep up on me, and if I boost (23 pounds of boost), my heat will get up there and quick, and my overheat protection will kick in. If I turn my heat all the way up it sit's below half way mark. When I first turn it on i let it get warm and i turn on the heat full blast and i can drive around and boost around a lot without it overheating. But if I drive my car for let's say 30 minutes straight, then just a little boost and the car's heat will creep up. Like today for example I was on the highway with my gf and this CRX pulled up next to me revved his fart can self up. Then he floors it, so me being the jerk I floor it and when my boost kicked in. I let the boost stay there for about 5-10 second's, I wasnt counted pretty much from 60-140 cause i stopped at 140( the CRX was so far back i couldnt even see his car) but when i looked at my temp, it was about 3/4 and i slowed down and did 55 down the highway letting the CRX past me, i gave it alittle gas and the heat would go up so. I got off and sat at a stop light, and even at idle the car's heat was creeping up ( my car idles at 2,000 rpms). Then before i know it down the street my overheat protection kicked in and i was puting along. Till I found a place to chill and let my car cool down. Any idea's on how to prevent my car from overheating when boost kicks in and daily driving?
Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: EG Turbo Overheating Problem

maybe your getting headlift? you didnt specify if u had arp head bolts. have you made sure your fans working by jumping the fan switch on the thermostat housing ? are you using a stock radiator?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EG Turbo Overheating Problem

I have stock rad, and i think stock head bolts, and if i do need the ARP head bolt's would i get the 99-00 Head bolts because those come with a b16. And the fan works cause if i putmy key in the on position my fan automatically kick's on.