Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem?

Old 01-05-2003, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem?

Last night I had the rpm's up since there was some a-hole who was blocking traffic in the fast lane next to a slower driver in the slow lane. So, I downshifted and sped around him and kind of kept on speeding the rest of the way home. I've drove my car this way a few times and never really had any problems until I slowed down last night. The car started studdering really bad as I went to neutral since a light was coming up. I down shifted and I could really feel the studdering. It did this the entire way home. Studdering in neutral and getting worst when in gears. It's really BAD at lower rpm's and gets better with higher RPM's, but still always there.

This morning:

I checked the oil level (added a quart and it's good now) since my car burns a quart every half tank, added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner this morning to my half-full gas tank. I checked the air filter and it's still clean when I replaced it about 3 months ago when I first got the car.

I also checked the plugs / wires and all are fireing. Are the plugs all suppose to fire the same? I tool 2-4 off and not really a change in the idle, but when I took #1 out (closest to the distributor) the car bogged down BIG time almost shutting off. Is that normal?

My car burns oil like crazy and a co-worker even said it shot a flame the other day when behind me during the day.

Any ideas? I guess I'll be putting my order in for the GSR VERY shortly

PS <> When I say RPM's were up. I know I was not redlining it, but they were probably around 5k at times. I've read the thread on redline of an Dx and the speeds / gears were nothing like stated in that thread. I think I was doign 80 in 4th where I normally shift to 5th at 50mph.

[Modified by Hybrid93Hatch, 10:51 AM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (Hybrid93Hatch)

Bump for the evening crew
Old 02-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (Hybrid93Hatch)

Never fixed the problem and it still runs likie $hit.
Lately it's been smoking 98% of the time while driving and really bad after I sit at idle for a minute or so then go to move.

Last night the needle kept getting up right close to the red in the temp. gauge. I would accelerate and just before it got into the red go into neutral and cruise until it dropped a little. Luckily I was almost home when it started getting really HIGH!

While out twice yesterday I stopped and the coolant reservor tank was about empty. So, I filled it up with water and drove on. When I stopped again to check it because the car was running hot the damn water was BOILING inside the reservor tank!!! ...and again when I got home it was boiling!!!

Got some insurance on the LX last night and driving it to work today. Engine to be pulled next week
Old 02-19-2003, 07:13 AM

u could try a head gasket.. my old civic did that.. one day it just shut off for good.. then i cleaned out the stuff on the block and head and put a new gasket and it was good as new..

mike
Old 02-19-2003, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (civicracer1993)

Is your thermostat still good? Check and make sure your fans work,check your engine coolant temperature sensor. One of them could be the cause of your overheating.

As far as the shuddering, try cleaning your injectors, one of them might be dead. sounds like you might be running on just 3 cylinders. Try starting up the car and remove the plug wires one at a time, if the car boggs then that cylinder is firing, when you remove a plug wire and nothing changes, could be bad plug wire,plug or as I mentioned before, dead injector.

Bad plug, or wire check and replace as necessary.

Solution to bad injector, clean the trap inside the injector or replace.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (hondasleeper)

I think he changed the thermostat recently if I remember correct, sounds like the head gasket could have taken a poo on ya. Try a compression check and see what happens.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:32 AM

Replace the head gasket and get new spark plugs and wires from Honda (Honda has the best stock ones for a Civic and good prices too.)
Old 02-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (1 slo ex)

two words! ------> head gasket when oil and coolant start disappearing on you some thing is very very wrong.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (leadfoot78)

two words! ------> head gasket when oil and coolant start disappearing on you some thing is very very wrong.
2 better words for ya -----> GSR isarrivingtommorrow

I ended up leaving the thermostat out. Yeah, I pulled the plugs one at a time when the problem first started and the only plug that had an effect was the one closest to the distributor. Car really bogged on that one, the others NO effect!

[Modified by Hybrid93Hatch, 10:49 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 09:56 PM

Have you taken the injectors out and inspected them? I read in the beginning of the thread that you put injector cleaner in your tank. Maybe,possibly all that gunt could have accumulated in the trap in the injector?

And you said that you pulled the plug wires one at a time and the car only bogged when you pulled the one nearest the distributer. And it didn't do it on the others? I am confused, the car should have bogged on 3 cylinders and nothing should have happened on one. If what you are saying in your last post, you are running on 1 cylinder.

Well, I hope you figure out exactly what happens. I was suggesting solutions through the process of elimination, you can issolate the problem.

Question for the person that posted that the head gasket could be bad.
Wouldn't there be signs of leakage; oil or coolant, externally or internally, if he was losing so much?
I am not doubting what you are saying but wouldn't the problem have some kind of obvious symptoms as I have mentioned? Maybe if could even be as the person mentioned as simple as a head gasket.
Maybe you can get onto the hybrid garage site and post a thread there, I'm sure some one over there might know and will beable to offer a solution.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (hondasleeper)

it is your head gasket !! nodoubt !!... it is blown
Old 02-20-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Eg started studdering last night. Any ideas of the problem? (Zeus Zore)

It sounds like some burned valves to me. I had this happen to me once too. I hit like 5500 rpm with my old D15B7 and all of a sudden there was a loss of power. So I went out and got my gsr motor and that fixed the problem. Come to find out it was one hell of a burned valve. The vavle had a chunk taken out of it about a half an inch wide and went all the way back to the post on the valve. IMO it is a burned valve, but I am not an ase certified mechanic. Just my opinion.