Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG motor swap done by shop -- i feel a bit ripped off...

Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG motor swap done by shop -- i feel a bit ripped off...

I took my eg to ill garage to have my motor swap done i was quoted about 3000 plus any extra to get it running like relays and such. This included everything for the swap motor trany ecu wiring mounts manifolds throttle body. when they got the motor it came with half the header so without my authorization they put an after market one(170) and test pipe(75) on and now want to charge me for it. I feel that it should have come with the full header and i shouldn't be charged for their screw up. Am I right or wrong?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: i feel a bit ripped off...

correct. they should have confronted you about it before they did that
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

At least they should of called you before they put it on that way you could of b*tched. Why didn't you do the swap your self. I did mine with the help of my brother got it dun under 8 hours.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have done it my self but I'm in the navy and I don't have any time for it nor the necessary tools such as a hoist
Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: EG motor swap done by shop -- i feel a bit ripped off...

An informative thread title is required and helps you get more responses by letting members know what specific information you need:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/threads-must-summarize-technical-problem-title-list-car-details-first-post-2809571/

Thread title edited.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. What a rip-off. A shop near me in Phoenix had a standard install and running fee of $1000 even for a b-series if you provided all the parts.

They even gave you a list of what to bring, and for $1000 it was installed and running.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

What kind of motor did they put in it? Estimated mileage?

If they do swaps often *maybe it's just shops around here* but they usually have stock headers lying around from swaps other people did with upgrades and whatnot........

Should've ordered from www.hmotorsonline.com...and found a flat rate shop to do it.

Sorry to hear that though man. Bad business from them though because now you put 'em on blast on h-t...that's never a good sign for a shop lol
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah they should of asked u first...and depending on wat swap u did thats still alot...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFacedCustoms
What kind of motor did they put in it? Estimated mileage?

If they do swaps often *maybe it's just shops around here* but they usually have stock headers lying around from swaps other people did with upgrades and whatnot........

Should've ordered from www.hmotorsonline.com...and found a flat rate shop to do it.
It's a b16a
About 25000-50000km
Sorry to hear that though man. Bad business from them though because now you put 'em on blast on h-t...that's never a good sign for a shop lol
Not necessarily blasting them just feel like they made a screw up. I called them apperanly the motor also has a rod knock so they are sending it back and this time they garantee me a full stock header no charge
Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad they made good. I deal with Suja one most of the time, but ive called ill a few times before and they where always real cool and seemed to know what they are talking about.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so they called me today they decided to throw the b16a3, that was sitting in their shop, into my car. they did this as a warranty swap because the b16a they put in had the rod knock. im pissed but at this point i just want to get my car back.

does anyone kno anything about the b16a3, the guy at the shop told me it is one of the better stronger b16's out there but i need some input.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b16a3 usually come out of the del sol vtec models.. So yeah its a pretty strong USDM motor. Its not JDM though but at least you know you got a USDM. Did they tell you how many miles on it? usually the USDM motors have higher mileage than the JDM ones..
Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea about 50,000miles
Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ yeah thats not bad for a usdm motor. However they could be bullshitting you though. Is there proof? Just for your own benefit since I don't think I would trust that shop after trying to swap in a POS motor and charging you for some aftermarket parts without consulting you first. Did they give you a warranty or anything?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bs get a car fax on that motor...hahaa but yeah thats alot for that swap i paid about 800 for my b16 and did the swap myself took me two days took my time...and had no hoist and a small two ton jack
Old 09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They should not have charged you for it, with out asking you.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and since they are holding your car for a little longer labor should be cheaper
Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by phaphon
bs get a car fax on that motor...hahaa but yeah thats alot for that swap i paid about 800 for my b16 and did the swap myself took me two days took my time...and had no hoist and a small two ton jack
CARFOX FTW! but seriously theres no way of knowing w/o a carfax
Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I,m reading the original post and it looks to me like you were "quoted about 3000 plus any extra to get it running like relays and such" now relays and such is not a manifold but you were told there could be extras involved and you still went ahead with that shop.
If you are in the navy don't you have access to a "hobby shop" on a base near you,they would have everything you would need for the project.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Jockone
I,m reading the original post and it looks to me like you were "quoted about 3000 plus any extra to get it running like relays and such" now relays and such is not a manifold but you were told there could be extras involved and you still went ahead with that shop.
If you are in the navy don't you have access to a "hobby shop" on a base near you,they would have everything you would need for the project.
Truetrue. Our hobby shop is pretty hooked up...two of the guys that work at ours are huge Honda/Acura guys so they have been able to help with anything I can't quite figure out myself.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wait, what motor comes witha half a header? i mean i could see no header at all, but it seems like they saw a nice payday walk through the door and jumped. i would ask/demand that no charges be made for the 2nd motor, a written warranty on this 50k b16, and that they show you the invoice for the motor they bought that had rod knock. shops dont get discounts from distributors (atleast i dont think) so a fair price on a low mileage b16 should be about 1800, figure in labor and maybe 3k, but highly doubtful. hopefully they come clean about what happened or throw some money back your way.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weird. Like Jackone said, if you're in the Navy you have access to the Hobby Shop on base. They have everything you need to do anything. when i was in the navy i did a lot of stuff there. If i didn't know how to do it there was always someone there that knew how to. Go there and do your oil changes. Can't beat 3 smack-a-roos to use a lift and have them dispose your of oil and filter
Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait...they removed your catalytic converter without asking?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow it sucks
Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally said screw it I'm done with them screwing with me they said it was done with the a3 installed ran great I picked it up and it did I HAD no complaints then half way back to base it starts missing and bogging at partial throttle now I have complaints. I didn't have time to turn around and go back I was going to be cutting it close as it was to get back to base. Then when I got off the freeway I found out I can't even really daily drive it when i take off it will bog launch bog launch till I get up to speed and then bog and miss. I called today to see what they had to say. I told them that the ecu was shooting cel code 11(might have been 21) and 41 they said they will rewire my vtec and any other diagnostics for free. They gave me 2 choices for the bogging put a new o2 sensor for a cost they didn't kno or bypass the o2 and put in a chipped ecu for 85 no labor for either one. It shouldn't have the problem to begin with I shouldn't have to pay a penny.

We do have a hobby shop but I do not have the time to go my day consists of wake up, pt, eat, go to class, eat, then sleep weekends are worthless to get anything done 3 out of 4 I have duty (those of you in or have prior service kno what this is) one day giving me no real weekend time.

By half header they meant the lower half didnt come in with it. And that extra costs were suppose to be for wiring.
Main relay 80
Fuel filter 32
Rewiring for the no start 200

Not required add ons
Gas 5gal 93octane 15.95
Test pipe 75
Battery replacement 95
Positive battery terminal replacement 25
Dizzy cap 35
Spark plug wires 35
NGK spark plugs 10
TDM Hytech replica header 170

Some add ons like for the tune up I appretiate however I could have done it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EG motor swap done by shop -- i feel a bit ripped off...