Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG instrument cluster lights not working...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 08:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG instrument cluster lights not working...

Does anyone have any clue as to why none of the lights in my inst. cluster/climate control work? The clock works, as do the small lights on the individual air flow selector buttons. It used to cut on and off intermittently, and would work again after a few taps, but that hasn't been for a few months. I checked and re-checked the fuses, and I've still got nothing. Any ideas?

Thx in advance.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (jeef84)

Bump for no lights!
Old 02-10-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check the bulbs...and if you did you might have not turned them correctly...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (ChinitodeNJ)

Try tapping the switch that you dim the lights with...or take it out and make sure the connections are ok.

Let me know if that helps, I had a similar problem. I took the dash apart and it still did it but then I finally figured it out.

Good Luck
Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (clemsonhatch)

Thx. I'll try it out and let you guys know.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:58 AM

CHECK THE FUSE
Old 02-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (clemsonhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ChinitodeNJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the bulbs...and if you did you might have not turned them correctly...</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clemsonhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try tapping the switch that you dim the lights with...or take it out and make sure the connections are ok.

Let me know if that helps, I had a similar problem. I took the dash apart and it still did it but then I finally figured it out.

Good Luck </TD></TR></TABLE>
took the words outta my mouth
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thGenCivicKid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CHECK THE FUSE</TD></TR></TABLE>
he already did that he said
Old 02-10-2005, 05:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (HatchEh2)

Guys, I checked the wiring behind the dimmer switched and found that there are three spliced wires: Black, Red, and Red/black.

The red/black and black wires were spliced to the corresponding wires coming out of the harness, and the red wire was spliced to the red wire coming out of the transformer for the indiglo lights in my gauge cluster.

NOTE: Earlier in the year I removed the gauge cluster to try and remove the indiglo gauges and paint the stock bulbs blue, since the indiglos weren't working. In the process, I discovered that whoever worked on the car before me removed the housings that hold the bulbs and seat them onto the back of the cluster. I also discovered the red wire that goes to the transformer was spliced to a red/black wire, so I respliced it to a red/black wire going to the harness that goes into the cluster. The lights worked intermittently up until a few weeks ago, and that's when all of my instrument cluster lights stopped working.

So, long story short, my heater control lights, gauge faces, and the lights on the three button cluster (sunroof, dim, cruise control) to the left of the steering wheel still don't work. Oddly enough, the light to the defrost button does work whenever I press the button. I'm stumped here, guys, and it's really hard to see anything aside from my cd player when driving at night. Sorry about the long post, and thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

TIA, guys
Old 02-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's more than likely the actual dimmer switch, just try swapping it out with one from another civic
Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (Revtek 2)

Interesting, I'll try that as well
Old 02-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (5thGenCivicKid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thGenCivicKid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CHECK THE FUSE</TD></TR></TABLE> again
Old 02-11-2005, 02:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (ThatsMyEG)

Heh, checked, checked, checked and rechecked.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any solution found yet? I have the same problem and my dash is torn apart right now. All the wires look ok, but does anyone know how to check them for current w/ a voltmeter?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: (5spdfrk)

its the dimmer switch.....its gotta be...whenver i turn my head lights on...the interior guage lights never want to light up...so i must punch the dimmer switch til it jiggles just right and lights are on (and i dont just ***** whop it either....)
Old 02-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WyteNyteGSR)

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. To dark outside now!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (Revtek 2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Revtek 2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's more than likely the actual dimmer switch, just try swapping it out with one from another civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's right!! I had the same problem and just changed the dimmer switch. I have seen this problem many times and it almost always is the dimmer switch. Good Luck
Old 02-15-2005, 06:49 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (Bond)

I helped this guy out some, see if he can forward you the email with the wiring diagrams. I gotta sleep and go to work tomorrow. The thread is https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1147548
Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (HondaFanatic708)

Thanks for the help in both the threads I have posted in. They have been great.
I sent him an IM, assuming that HT doesn't use PM. So I guess a IM is acceptable.

When I have a chance tomorrow, I will check the switch out.

I think I have used up my alotted posts for today, so hopefully I wont have any vital questions that will need to be answered anytime soon. I hope this two week trial period will go by fast!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:06 PM

Default Re: EG instrument cluster lights not working... (5spdfrk)

It goes by in a flash, if I can help in any way let me know. Happy Tuning!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I picked up a switch from a junk yard and put it in. Still nothing, but when I was about to take it out the lights flickered on. So I tried my old switch and it did the same thing. If I messed with the wires long enough they would come on and stay on if I laid the switch down. When I would try to put the switch back in the dash they would go off again.

So, I dont think that the switch is the problem, although it still may be. I used my voltmeter to test the harness and it is getting between 11.98 and 12.00 volts so that seems ok too. It has left me stumped for today, because if the harness is getting current, then it should work, and I dont think I could have two faulty switches. It is sure possible though, due to the first one being on the car for 172,xxx miles, and the other one coming from a junkyard. Who knows....
Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM

I've had the same problem on my ek.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1151839

I had to use indiglo gauges just to drive at night.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: (5spdfrk)

is there a light relay for the eg's? i use to own a eg dont have one now? check around
Old 02-16-2005, 06:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5spdfrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I picked up a switch from a junk yard and put it in. Still nothing, but when I was about to take it out the lights flickered on. So I tried my old switch and it did the same thing. If I messed with the wires long enough they would come on and stay on if I laid the switch down. When I would try to put the switch back in the dash they would go off again.

So, I dont think that the switch is the problem, although it still may be. I used my voltmeter to test the harness and it is getting between 11.98 and 12.00 volts so that seems ok too. It has left me stumped for today, because if the harness is getting current, then it should work, and I dont think I could have two faulty switches. It is sure possible though, due to the first one being on the car for 172,xxx miles, and the other one coming from a junkyard. Who knows....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got it for ya, one of your wires at the connector to the dimmer switch has a poor connection. Find a junk clip with the same size female pins and pull a few of them out (This process is delicate, just be patient, examine the clip, use a precision flat head screwdriver to lift any plastic prongs holding the pin in the clip.) Then pull the dimmer switch out of the dash. Wiggle one wire at a time. When you find the culprate, replace that pin in the clip. When you pull from the junked one make sure you got a few inches of wire so you can solder in the new pin to the wiring harness. And there you have it, done. There may be two wires you will have to replace the pins on but you'll be gravy bro. Happy Tuning!!! Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! Yeh, I thought of this but didn't have the time tonight. I also just thought about cutting the harness off and putting some spade connectors on them and plugging them right onto the pins on the switch.

I will hopefully have this done by tomorrow night, but it might be the weekend before I can get to it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: EG instrument cluster lights not working...