Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG horn relay

Old 05-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG horn relay

My horn stop working recently, i had a new horn so i put that on checked my fuses and the wireing but it still doesnt work.

Can anyone tell me which relay is the horn relay and tell me where its located?

A picture would be helpfull as im going to get a relay from a breakers and dont want get the wrong relay!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG horn relay (UK_EG)

bump
Old 05-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

straight below the steering column. off of the top corner of the fuse box. clear 4 pin plug.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG horn relay (5THGENSI)

Is it the black relay in the top right hand corner of the fuse box? I cant hear a relay click when i push the horn. My car is RHD so the fuse box is on the right hand side of the car and there is nothing under the steering colum and i cant see a clear 4 pin plug.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump,

I too would care to see a diagram or pics of factory horn related issues or layouts.

I have since replaced my factory steering wheel with an aftermartket version with out a horn.
Was woundering if I could link the factory wires/harness to an aftermarket(radio shack) momentary switch.

I also have a pair of small air horns I wanted to swap the single factory horn out with...
Old 05-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UK_EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it the black relay in the top right hand corner of the fuse box? I cant hear a relay click when i push the horn. My car is RHD so the fuse box is on the right hand side of the car and there is nothing under the steering colum and i cant see a clear 4 pin plug.</TD></TR></TABLE> sounds right my cars not rhd though. you can meter the wires and see if you get a .neg. pulse when you hit the horn button
Old 05-20-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG horn relay (5THGENSI)

Yay for clock springs. If you removed your steering wheel or put an aftermarket one on you probably broke the clock spring. It is a very sensitive part located behind the steering wheel. If you turned it at all when you steering wheel was off and didnt put it back straight when you turn sharp it will snap the wire inside. The part is usually around $45 from a scrapyard. To see if this is the problem take off your airbag and check the electical connection at the horn. Then check befor the steering wheel. If the connection is lost in between you broke the spring. Do this after you have checked all the fuses. To make the horn work with and aftermarket wheeld you have to create a metal leader to rotate with the wheel and maintain contact with an electrical contact to use for the horn.

*edit* the clockspring is a little black and yellow circle that is visible when you remove your steering wheel. It contains the electrical connections for SRS and your horn. It is held in by 3 screws and 3 electrical connections.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG horn relay (tabrisakakaoru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tabrisakakaoru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yay for clock springs.
The clockspring is a little black and yellow circle that is visible when you remove your steering wheel. It contains the electrical connections for SRS and your horn. It is held in by 3 screws and 3 electrical connections.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait a sec,..... all that stuff is history when you slap an aftermarket hub.

I hope what you are talking about is that round disc with a yellow decal on it with some yellow cables coming off it,...if my memory serves me correct.
It can spin and maintain a constant contact. When I first saw how it worked I was like, WOW! (i know, iknow, kinda cheesy... what can I say, I'm easily amused...)
I thought the engineering of that part was cool and reminded me of a record player.

I was expecting to pull the yellow cord out and seeing the round disc spin and say " the cow says mooooo...."

Anyhow, does anyone here have pics of how they set up there horn to work with their after-market steering wheel!
Even if you don't have pics, please post up on how you got your factory horn to work.
thanks.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG horn relay (JEM MotorSports)

Yes it is the little black thingy with yellow wires coming out of it. It is very simple engineering but it works great. If you want a horn w/ an aftermarket wheel you must use the same principle as the clock spring and create a metal loop around the hub and use a wire from the horn that can maintain contact with the metal loop. Clocksprings are limited to 1 1/2 to 2 turns in each direction and this is why they are commonly broken when the steering wheel is removed.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG horn relay (tabrisakakaoru)

you need honda part # 35259-sh3-a02. it is called a shoe horn if you took your clock spring out