Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG HELP: Dash Trunk Indicator Light Stays On

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG HELP: Dash Trunk Indicator Light Stays On

I open and closed both the hood and trunk and the light is still on when the engine is on. I haven't driven it in a week and when I tried to start it today the battery was dead. It started after I jumped it but the dash trunk indicator light is still on, so I'm assuming the problems are related. I checked all the fuses and nothing is blown. Please Help...
Old 05-18-2003, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

May sound like a stupid question, but are you closing it all the way? I noticed that I have to really give my trunk lid a good push at the center of the glass. I closed it a couple times and noticed the light was still on. Popped it, used the center as a pushing point and a little elbow grease and the light went away.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:34 AM

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

I had this problem the other day. I bet the sensor in the boot has had it so even when the doors shut it still thinks its open so the dash and interior light stay on. best thing to do is look for the sensor and unscrew it, this should unearth the system and the light will both go out. Then all you do is buy a new one, which dont cost much
Old 05-18-2003, 05:11 AM
New User

Default Re: (smithy)

just pop that plastic cover off of the bottom half of the clamshell hatch and look at the wire attached to the latching mechanism. I have a feeling it slipped off which would make the light turn on no matter what.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:37 AM

Default Re: (smithy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smithy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had this problem the other day. I bet the sensor in the boot has had it so even when the doors shut it still thinks its open so the dash and interior light stay on. best thing to do is look for the sensor and unscrew it, this should unearth the system and the light will both go out. Then all you do is buy a new one, which dont cost much</TD></TR></TABLE>

I removed the clamshell and disconnected it but the dash light is still lit. I then tried to trace the harness back but it is recessed underneathe the rear dash and inexcessible. What system are you referring to and did you buy the new sensor at Honda or can I find one at Radio Shack. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:40 AM

Default Re: (Pritos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pritos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just pop that plastic cover off of the bottom half of the clamshell hatch and look at the wire attached to the latching mechanism. I have a feeling it slipped off which would make the light turn on no matter what.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I removed the clamshell and there is only one wire. Is there a sensor at the latching mechanism? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:43 AM

Default Re: EG HELP: Dash Trunk Indicator Light Stays On (DragonBoy)

On the advise of my cousin, I closed the trunk and pulled down the rear seat and found the light to be still lit, so I removed the bulb and the dash is still lit. Since it's no longer drawing current it leads me to believe that it is probably a bad sensor. The only problem is locating. Thanks Again.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY OFF TOPIC

anyone kno if a hatch that didnt have the rear wiper could add the wiper, well. what im asking is, is there a plug in the back black box housing for the rear wiper, or is it not there because it didnt come with one.

also, ive dont kno where the switch is on those cars , but how would i make it work if i got one
Old 05-18-2003, 04:09 PM
New User

Default Re: (DragonBoy)

yeah there should only be one wire. If i remember correctly, it attaches to a switch that completes the ground and makes the light turn on.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:11 PM
New User

Default Re: (stripes777)

you should post this as a seperate topic. anyway, I believe the wiring is complete. You just need to get the entire wiper assembly and then add a relay or fuse. not sure though.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG HELP: Dash Trunk Indicator Light Stays On (DragonBoy)

my hatch just started doing that.....when i get on it, tne light flickers. sometimes it just stays on

i dont care....the latch works
Old 05-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have this problem with my E-brake, anybody know what's going on? It's not up but it stays on. It's kinda irritating with that little red light just sitting there.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:46 PM

Default Re: (Pritos)

I can't find a switch, the single wire traces back up into the rear dash and is inexcessible. However, there is a little relay or some sort of tiny capacitor on the back side of the clamshell. Is that it? Besides the annoying light I have to hear my alarm arm with three chirps indicating I forgot one of the doors open.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:34 AM

eg?? is this a coupe or hatch?. if its a hatch theres 3 wires. one to each side of the fold down hatch. and 1 on the latch where the glass closes down. the wires plug into the latches and as far as i know theres no sensor the way it turns the light on and off is by grounding the wire, so id try grounding it (99% sure its a green wire) and see if that turns your light out. then go from there
Old 05-19-2003, 01:03 AM

dont worry i have the same probelm with mines. the signal and the trunk is srewing up. if u find a way to fix get a hold of me.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:34 AM

Default Re: (drunknbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drunknbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eg?? is this a coupe or hatch?. if its a hatch theres 3 wires. one to each side of the fold down hatch. and 1 on the latch where the glass closes down. the wires plug into the latches and as far as i know theres no sensor the way it turns the light on and off is by grounding the wire, so id try grounding it (99% sure its a green wire) and see if that turns your light out. then go from there</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a coupe. I removed the plastic cover for the latch but did not see any sensor. However, there were two 10mm bolts securing the latch in but I didn't have my tools so could the sensor be under there? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:31 AM

the latch should have a little green wire with a plug on it that clips over a tab on the latch. if its not there it prob fell off
Old 05-22-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (drunknbass)

Ok, I had a chance to look at the trunk again and the latch is actually secured on with three screws and not two 10 mm bolts as described earlier. After removing the screws I was unable to remove the latch because its located behind some sheetmetal. However, I did locate the green wire and it is securely attached and did not look damaged. I attempted to unplug and re-plug the wire but its located behind a metal panel thus making it very difficult to get my hands in. The best I could do was wiggle it around in case the connection was loose or something in an attempt to turn off the trunk light indicator but no-go. Please help.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:00 PM

run a ground wire(grounded to the chassis) and stick it inside and touch it to the green plug and see if the light goes out
Old 06-03-2003, 02:15 PM

Bump
Old 10-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: EG HELP: Dash Trunk Indicator Light Stays On

Originally Posted by drunknbass
run a ground wire(grounded to the chassis) and stick it inside and touch it to the green plug and see if the light goes out
ground would tell it that it is open. When the ground is "open" it tells the system it is closed.. depending on year I can tell you exactly what color wire it would be
Old 10-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: EG HELP: Dash Trunk Indicator Light Stays On

^^ I'm thinking that after 14 years, the OP has resolved their trunk light issue.