Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Heater/Blower issue...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Heater/Blower issue...

Hi all,

done a quick search and can't seem to find this specific issue anywhere so here goes...

I recently bought a b18c4 swapped eg4 hatch and it came with the heater/blower not working.
after checking all the connections, resistor etc etc I've since discovered that the blower/heater works perfectly (hot and cold plus all 1,2,3,4 settings) when only the ignition is ON (key turned fully without starting the car)

As soon as I turn the engine on I get nothing, the blower turns itself off and only the indication lights work, but no blowing air at all. I can hear the different settings (footwell, windscreen etc) making sounds when I press each button.

only thing I have to go on is the car should be a/c but as far as I know when the engine swap was done it was'nt re-installed. I read somewhere that it could be because the condenser fuse is still in???

Anyone came across this before/shed some light on what this might be?
ignition issue?

thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: EG Heater/Blower issue...

Might be an intermittent blower relay issue.

Or even a faulty blower motor or cracked solder joint in the control panel.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar problem. Drop the blower motor and visually inspect the electrical connection for heavy corrosion. Moisture collects there. If it is heavily corroded it will draw too much current to the point the blower relay will get so hot it will cut off. Next time it cuts off slightly touch the blower relay for heat. ( Under hood fuse box) It can be so hot it will burn your finger. I replaced my blower motor and made it a hard wire connection. Blower motors get full of garbage anyway and should be changed out.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsolintegra
I had a similar problem. Drop the blower motor and visually inspect the electrical connection for heavy corrosion. Moisture collects there. If it is heavily corroded it will draw too much current to the point the blower relay will get so hot it will cut off. Next time it cuts off slightly touch the blower relay for heat. ( Under hood fuse box) It can be so hot it will burn your finger. I replaced my blower motor and made it a hard wire connection. Blower motors get full of garbage anyway and should be changed out.
That makes sense come to think of it, I'll check out the connections tomorrow/check they relay for excess heat. Found a few other corroded connectors all over the car so hopefully thats all it is....cheers man
Old 12-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm almost officially stumped on this one. Today I re-wired the rear defrost set-up for the window (prev owner had cut the wires when changing a broken glass hatch) as I'd read the run off the same fuse to cross that off the possible list.

I Started the car up first time and the blower worked with both the ignition and engine running, including all settings then stopped the engine and restarted..... and now back to square one. The damn thing still only works *sometimes* when only the ignition is on.

Is it possible the fuse box where the relays sit is faulty? could any other relay (defrost for rear window) cause issues with the blower not working?
Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why guess? Do electrical tests at the blower, relay, and control panel.

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Might be an intermittent blower relay issue.

Or even a faulty blower motor or cracked solder joint in the control panel.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Why guess? Do electrical tests at the blower, relay, and control panel.
Finally solved for anyone who may possibly experience the same issue...

checked everything as per the honda manual and got nothing, everything seemed to work as it should except when the engine is turned on (nothing in the manual for this specific issue)...

checked every loom then finally traced it down to the a/c / washer motor and headlight loom which follows round one of the shock towers, the wires had rubbed right through causing shorts/bad earthing (had simply been taped over, not fixed) and all sorts so definitely worth checking out EVERYTHING related to your problem. Snipped all the wires back to fresh starts and re-joined them, now everything including non-functioning high beam works on that side.

Cheers for the help anyways Ron
Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you figured it out.