Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Hatch Rear Window hook/handle next by the wiper

Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Hatch Rear Window hook/handle next by the wiper

EG Hatch Rear Window hook/handle next by the wiper. I bought this from honda now it does not fit hoe it should fit...has any one came across this or know how to fix the issue? is their a washer i need for the locking bracket to sit even?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: EG Hatch Rear Window hook/handle next by the wiper

This thread is a little old, but seeing that no one has answered it, and I just had this very problem, I'll let you know what I did.

Luckily, I was replacing my tired hatch strut hardware at the same time as adding on the hatch window hook. I noticed that the plastic strut octagonal (or is it hexagonal) spacer is exactly the width it needs to be to act as a spacer for the window hook. I took that AND the rubber grommet from the old strut hardware and put them the hook on the outside window side and bolted the hook up. No spaces, the rubber grommet sealed the hole in the window like a charm.

Not sure if this is what the actual hardware looks like, but it looks really clean and nobody would notice anything out of the ordinary.

What I'd like to know is why weren't these hooks standard on all USDM models? Expecting people to grab the windshield wiper by the base to open the hatch (or digging under the glass) is a pretty lame expectation on Honda's part. If the JDM models had them, why not USDM?

fm
Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
This thread is a little old, but seeing that no one has answered it, and I just had this very problem, I'll let you know what I did.

Luckily, I was replacing my tired hatch strut hardware at the same time as adding on the hatch window hook. I noticed that the plastic strut octagonal (or is it hexagonal) spacer is exactly the width it needs to be to act as a spacer for the window hook. I took that AND the rubber grommet from the old strut hardware and put them the hook on the outside window side and bolted the hook up. No spaces, the rubber grommet sealed the hole in the window like a charm.

Not sure if this is what the actual hardware looks like, but it looks really clean and nobody would notice anything out of the ordinary.

What I'd like to know is why weren't these hooks standard on all USDM models? Expecting people to grab the windshield wiper by the base to open the hatch (or digging under the glass) is a pretty lame expectation on Honda's part. If the JDM models had them, why not USDM?

fm

My AUDM eg gl didnt have a hook either, i just got one off a wrecked crv/hrv (dont remeber which one). but yea kinda lame that it doesnt come wit it
Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

92 & 93 Civic Hatchbacks didn't have the hook.

I replaced mine on my 94 Hatchback as it was very rusted and cracked.

The problem I think you're running into is that the hole through which the hook goes into the rear washer assembly (or empty box, if you don't have a rear washer) is shaped differently on a 94 & 95. The hole is rectangular so that the hook doesn't move (rotate) when you tighten its nut down. On vehicles with just the plug, it doesn't matter if it rotates as you tighten, so it is just a circular hole.

What you need to do is either widen the hole yourself, or (better) find a 94 or 95 rear wiper cover at an auto wrecker and replace your own. If at the wreckers you need to remove the cover from a vehicle with a rear wiper, note that the nut to remove the wiper requires a 23mm socket. Use a deep socket to be on the safe side. Might be reverse thread, too?

Last edited by deschlong; 03-12-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you saying that the 94-95 wiper boxes allow the hook's screw to go further into the box (sitting flush against the glass)? That would make sense. The hole that needs to be widened is in the wiper box, not the actual glass I take it? I may revisit this myself in the morning, though the spacer on the outside looks fine.

fm
Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 PM

That's correct. If you look at the base of the hook you'll see that before the threading begins the base is rectangular in shape (closest to the plastic of the hook). You need to modify the hole in the metal inside the wiper box to accommodate this rectangular shape. Be careful when you modify the metal, though, to make sure it's straight... the angle that you make the hole will be the angle of your hook .... and if you make it too large then your hook will spin freely as you try to tighten it.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:59 PM

Finally, a photo to demonstrate to all:
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks this is just the explanation i was looking for thanks for the effort and pics! good job!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is old but I am thinking about getting a hook for my 92..
When I look at it in pictures though, it appears to have a round stem and base..

So it looks like if you get one that looks like that you shouldn't to widen any holes, right?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:57 PM

Wrong. See the part between the thick round metal and the threads? That's the rectangular part. Besides, you WANT to widen the holes -- otherwise you can't tighten down the ****.

Also, watch you don't overpay on eBay ... it costs ~$12 at the dealer.

Last edited by deschlong; 03-12-2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anybody got a pn for the hook?
been looking for that.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't know the part number. says the product number
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ry5=REAR+WIPER
You can just order it from there. I wonder if getting the seals (#12 and 15) will help.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are two part numbers...
90108-SR3-900
90108-SR3-901

I used one of those two to get mine and moded it just a fraction and works fine!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus

fm
hahhahaha, I did the same exact thing back then. It does work like a charm. Just do it this way. seriously
Old 03-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick thread. I haven't tried to install mine yet because I thought I was missing something. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
MG6
Honda-Tech Member

here is what I did.

Get a dermel or a filer to file down the square so it will clear the hole on the box.

Or

You can make the hole on the box wider like other side.

Either way, you have to do some work to make it work.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, I got a few questions. First off, about the picture above that shows the wiper cover. That one looks like the plastic creates the small hole, on both the handle and the wiper holes. Mine looks more like the Honda diagram shows

There is a metal plate that makes the two holes on the plastic cover smaller. As you can see, both holes on the plastic cover are really big circular holes. So I drilled out some of the round hole (in the metal plate) for the handle but the hole is still round, so although the handle fits, it can still turn (rotate) even though it is on very tight with the washer and nut on the other side. Is there a way to fix it so the handle can't turn or do I have to get a 94-95 one?

On majestic honda, the 92-95 rear wiper covers are the same exact part number. I feel like I will get the one with the giant hole, like I have on my 92. And then you will have to order the metal plate, probably.. which is also the same part number for 92-95 so I don't know if you can order the ones with the rectangular hole, because the plate will probably have a small round hole, like mine. Eh, sorry for the long post, but this is annoying me!

(the junkyards in my area NEVER have any hatches, let alone trying to find a 94-95)
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Upon closer look at

I think that the metal plate was just painted black on this one, so I confused it with being part of the plastic cover. So you have to get a 94-95 plate with a rectangular hole, and not a 94-95 plastic cover. But now back to the problem with the plates being the same part number from 92-95.. =(
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Yeah, basically you ruined your hole. You shoulda looked at this thread first! You would have seen that you need to file the hole into a rectangle.

It looks like 68135-SR3-020 replaces the earlier -000 part number which only came on 92-93's. To me, this means the 94-95 plate can be retrofit to earlier years, but will have the rectangular hole. You should have a look in your nearest wrecker yard!

Edit: Whoops, didn't know you never have any hatches near you... sorry to hear that!

Last edited by deschlong; 06-18-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I began trying to file but filing was taking FOREVER. So I decided to use a drill and I tried to make it rectangular but it was hard with a circular drill bit =(. So I think I'll get the 68135-SR3-020 plate and it should work. So do you agree that the plate on that above picture was painted black to match the cover? Hahaha, I just want to make sure.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:29 AM

Yeah, the inside metal piece was painted/coloured black. I dunno - it was like that when I removed it!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, maybe when I order a new plate from Honda it will be black! It better have the rectangular hole too, or I'm gonna be so pissed lol.