Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Hatch Interior Measurements (come inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 01:59 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EG Hatch Interior Measurements (come inside)

Hey,

So I'm gonna try and dynamat my hatch this weekend.

<U>Question</U>
Does anyone know of a place where I can find diagrams/drawings that include measurements of the interior?

For example: I need measurements for the inner firewall, doors, floor, and all that stuff.

If I don't find anything here I'll just use a tape measure. I'd just like to get a head start and precut the dynamat tonight.

Thanks,
George
Old 12-17-2004, 03:26 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (litterbox)

*breaking out the tape measure*
Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you think you need get atleast 50% more. You WILL end up doubling up in certain areas. I put atleast 2 layers on my doors, and maybe 4 over the rear wheel wells.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (t0p_sh0tta)

i got at least 5 layers on my doors in my miata. i know i counted at least that when i took the interoir piece off. I didn't put it on, the guy i bought the car from did.. makes a huge difference in sound qua.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (xCIVICx)

The stuff that I used was fairly thick. I had a heck of a time getting the door panels back on.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just cut it as you go, its ok if its not all in one piece, bumps for a stereo fella
Old 12-18-2004, 04:20 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (02'specvizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whatever you think you need get atleast 50% more. You WILL end up doubling up in certain areas. I put atleast 2 layers on my doors, and maybe 4 over the rear wheel wells.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok, obviously I"m gonna concentrate more heavily on the rear hatch part and quarters. But is it worthwhile to do the floor under the carpet and the firewall behind the dash?

I bought 100 square feet of this stuff. Hopefully that'll be enough.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:46 AM

not so much the fire wall. you would hae to rip your dash out to get to it, and that might be more then your asking for. plus you don't get much sound coming throu that as you would think. but as for the flooring i have seen it done, but sounds like a waste of cash for that part too. Honda already put sound deadener under the carpet. crappy stuff but its atleast there. if you wanna spend the money and time on it i say go for it. but unless you get that stuff for cheep or free, then as far as i know its pricey!

Old 12-18-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll gain much more from focusing on the doors than you would with your hatch area.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (t0p_sh0tta)

the area under the shifter. doors, rear hatch. under the seats, roof, rear 1/4 panels.
cover the area where the muffler is prolly would kill the most sound if you got a loud muffler droning.
and wheel wells will kill most of the tire humming.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (hayabusa160)

Hey Guys,

Well I started today. I worked on the plastic rear quarter panels (on the inside).

Here's how one of them looks so far:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....D.jpg

(It's taking forever. I wanna get every little piece covered because sound is like water in that it'll find the smallest place to seep through.)

I actually have alot of sound deadener (100sq/ft) so I'll be able to do the whole car (firewall and all). I probably won't have enough for the roof because I'll concentrate on the wheel wells and trunk areas to get rid of tire noise.

Old 12-19-2004, 09:01 AM

your putting it on the plastic??????????????????????????????????????????? ??????/

why? put it on the car it self to hold off the viberation!!!! that what sound is! it would probably be alot easier to do too! woah..... maybe you should leave it to the experts at your local audio shop. not to be a dick or anything but you are most likely wasting you pennies, and watch clicks!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the area under the shifter. doors, rear hatch. under the seats, roof, rear 1/4 panels.
cover the area where the muffler is prolly would kill the most sound if you got a loud muffler droning.
and wheel wells will kill most of the tire humming.</TD></TR></TABLE>

see if you were to listen to ^^^^^ you would realize you can't put that on your muffler so it must mean on the car!

The only way i can see it happening at this point is to also do the inside of the car as well. so you will kinda have it double form the plastic and the car. dang son hope it works out for you... and doesn't make you go broke in the process!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:04 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (xCIVICx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xCIVICx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The only way i can see it happening at this point is to also do the inside of the car as well. so you will kinda have it double form the plastic and the car. dang son hope it works out for you... and doesn't make you go broke in the process!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ya dude, I'm putting it on the plastic. Of course I'm putting it on the metal. I calculated that I had enough to focus alot on the rear trunk and quarters so I'm gonna double up in that area. That's why I'm putting it on the plastic covers. Also, it's raining outside so I'm not working on teh actual car today.

Don't worry, I got this. But thanks for your suggestion and concern.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:08 AM

LOL, yeah, dont put it on the panels, put it on the sheet metal! If you are really looking for a decent noise reduction, pull your door panels off, pull your center console, rear seats, rear side panels, door moldings, pull the carpet and pad, do as much of the firewall as you can with the carpet pulled, do your floor, especially the center hump, do your seat pan above the gas tank, your wheel wells, your door panels, and cieling if you are feeling motivated. Basically any exposed sheet metal in the car. I dont know civic hatches all that well, but if there are access panels to the outer skin of the car in the rear wheel well area, slap some on the outer skin from the inside as well.

Doesnt hurt to put a little on the plastic trim panels, it will lower their resonant frequency as well, but you'll be much better off laying it on sheet metal. When you do your doors, try and pull the moisture barrier and hit the outer door skins as well as the inner metal skin of hte door.

I used about 150 sq. ft. total in an older car of mine 2 layers on the floor, 2 layers on both inner and outer door skin, 1 layer on the roof, the seat pan, rear wheel wells. Definitely makes a difference.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:10 AM

word just making sure.... i thought i was going to have to fly out to the planet nova to do it for you ! let us know how it comes out. cuz i hate road noise! But how much you spend on that suff so far anyhow?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:10 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

<U>Question</U>
Should I put some on the inside of the rear quarter body panels? I'm not talking about the metal frame, I'm talking about behind that.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><U>Question</U>
Should I put some on the inside of the rear quarter body panels? I'm not talking about the metal frame, I'm talking about behind that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

explain more? where are you talking about?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL, yeah, dont put it on the panels, put it on the sheet metal! If you are really looking for a decent noise reduction, pull your door panels off, pull your center console, rear seats, rear side panels, door moldings, pull the carpet and pad, do as much of the firewall as you can with the carpet pulled, do your floor, especially the center hump, do your seat pan above the gas tank, your wheel wells, your door panels, and cieling if you are feeling motivated. Basically any exposed sheet metal in the car. I dont know civic hatches all that well, but if there are access panels to the outer skin of the car in the rear wheel well area, slap some on the outer skin from the inside as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you had just repeated your self like 5 times!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:15 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (xCIVICx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xCIVICx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
explain more? where are you talking about?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm gonna go take a pic of the area I'm talking about. Hold on.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:15 AM

I said..........remove X interior parts, then put mat on X parts, then maybe do X parts if you feel like it. Wheres the repitition?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:21 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm gonna go take a pic of the area I'm talking about. Hold on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In There behind the frame.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

yuou said to pull of all of the parts. well if he was gonna pull off all of the parts then why not lay down the stuff?!! you repeated yourself by saying do it. i dunno it seemed over down. probably my bad. but they had all been posted already. and futher more the stupid chick i banged today wouldn't corperate with the shocker!

Old 12-19-2004, 09:23 AM

oh do it all bro! if your gonna do the plastic do all of the metal you can find!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:24 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Also,
Would it be worth it to put some mat behind the firewall mat on the passenger side of the dash like here:

Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let me know if you have any left over to sell/donate.. i need a 8inx2in small piece. : (
Old 12-19-2004, 09:49 AM

Yes, do the firewall as much as you can, and yes, do the outer skin of the car in the rear quarter area, it helps.

Quick Reply: EG Hatch Interior Measurements (come inside)