Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg hatch head gasket blown or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg hatch head gasket blown or no?

was driving my hatch to another town which is about 45 mins to see my girl and all of a sudden the temp went up kinda high and then when i finally got to where i needed to be, it was at high so i turned the engine off and went inside. then 30 mins later i went outside and the whole sidewalk was full of coolant? i looked under the car and it looks to me like the water pump busted?? coolant is leaking by oil pan but i got coolant everywhere under the intake manifold as well? any ideas why? its been over 200k miles and i haven't changed the head gasket on it before. but there is no water/oil mixture in the engine oil? just the leaking coolant. lmk your opinions. i also have oil leaks here and there especially around the valve cover. thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg hatch head gasket blown or no?

well i dont think you should automatically assume its the headgasket if you dont see the oil/coolant mixture
park the car somewhere let it cool and take a closer look
Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a new vlave cover gasket (not your problem) but will help diagnos.) then check every heater core line rad hose and every compontnent the coolant runs through. a blown head gasket dosnt tend to act like you described. it will leak over time causing air pockets in the coolant system or alows coolant to mix with the oil. Have you noticed coolant levels being low and haveing to top it off? also look under your OIL fill cap and see if tehre is white. sometimes you cant see mixing but the coolant vapor gets caught here and allows you to see whitness. this is an early sign that can sometimes save the motor. but check coolant lines first.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the replies so far you guys. i actually drove it home but it didn't over heat? and not leaking anymore?? but now i get a check engine light on?? throwing code 41? is that the o2 sensor that's bad?? i just bought this car like 2 weeks ago.......but i did check when the engine was cool and it looks like straight black oil only and no water mixture. i guess the head gasket is still good. and i will get a new valve cover gasket kit.