Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG hatch Exhaust fumes in car, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG hatch Exhaust fumes in car, please help!

Hey guys I got a 94 CX hatch and I'm getting exhaust fumes inside the car somehow. It had a completely stock exhaust system on it. I thought it may have been the cat, so I took it off and gutted it. Still got exhaust smell in the car. After that I thought maybe the muffler itself wasn't allowing all exhaust gas to exit causing some of it to back up in the car somehow maybe. I found a good deal on a complete exhaust system from the header to the muffler. I put that on and I still have the same problem. Right now I'm thinking maybe the timing is a little off and could be causing this to happen so I plan to check that tomorrow when I'm off, or maybe a bad EGR valve letting it come in through the AC intake vents under the hood? Does anyone have any ideas, or has anyone ever had a similar problem? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG hatch Exhaust fumes in car, please help! (akus2ki)

Are you noticing any noises from you exhaust, such as whistling, or just that the exhaust sounds loud in a certain area of the car? I would double check to make sure you don't have an exhaust leak. Most likely the places that would be leaking would be around the manifold where it meets the head, or where the cat meets both sides of the piping. The muffler wouldn't cause you to smell it within the car, but if it's leaking at either side of the cat then definately.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is an easy way to check for the leak. Start the car and have a friend hold a wadded up rag over the end of the muffler. This will cause a slight back pressure and if you have a leak the exhaust will come out any holes or cracks in the system. Just be careful the exhaust is hot. If there is no leak the car might sputter and stall out
Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG hatch Exhaust fumes in car, please help! (instructor74)

Check your firewall and make sure that there isnt any open holes.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can also check the weather seal to the hatch, the foam gaskets around the break lights. Also make sure your catalytic converter is good. One time i had a crx that when i bought it, it had a straight through pipe on it. All day i would smell exhaust gas there was no exhaust leak. Specially on the freeway. Once i had the converter put on. It was fine.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akus2ki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys I got a 94 CX hatch and I'm getting exhaust fumes inside the car somehow. It had a completely stock exhaust system on it. I thought it may have been the cat, so I took it off and gutted it. Still got exhaust smell in the car. After that I thought maybe the muffler itself wasn't allowing all exhaust gas to exit causing some of it to back up in the car somehow maybe. I found a good deal on a complete exhaust system from the header to the muffler. I put that on and I still have the same problem. Right now I'm thinking maybe the timing is a little off and could be causing this to happen so I plan to check that tomorrow when I'm off, or maybe a bad EGR valve letting it come in through the AC intake vents under the hood? Does anyone have any ideas, or has anyone ever had a similar problem? Thanks for your help!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since when do USDM 1994 civic CX's with the D15b8 come with the Exhaust Gas Return system?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG hatch Exhaust fumes in car, please help!

Im having the same issue. I have for the last two gsr swapped hatchs ive had. Its even worse when the windows are down. With them rolled up you caint smell anything at all. My last exhaust was some cheap header back so i figured id go a different way with this one and have a header with a cat and my factory muffler off my 08 civic si. Caint drive to work with out a head ache when i get here. Ive checked all seals and i have factory tail lights. I hope somebody figures it out before it kills us lol.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by n8dizzel
You can also check the weather seal to the hatch, the foam gaskets around the break lights. Also make sure your catalytic converter is good.

This ^^^^

All hatchbacks (240z, 4runner, civics, blazers) will leak exhaust back into the car if you have a bad seal/gasket. It really bad on old cars pre cat/emissions.

Check your firewall, shifter boot & tail lights also.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG hatch Exhaust fumes in car, please help!

Does your muffler extend passed your bumper
Old 02-25-2023, 04:00 PM
Trial User

Hey n8dizzel, I see that you're located in Sacramento, I'm in elk grove. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have a 1994 Civic DX Hatchback. Bought the car straight piped from the cat back. I then got a muffler welded on from Facebook marketplace bc I had a fat leak from behind the cat (I got new piping welded on from the specific leak right behind the cat at MufflerTech). I now see exhaust fumes leaking from the front of the cat (close to where the cat is supposed to be "bolted" onto the headers but is welded on by the previous owner). I see and smell it but I don't mind it. I'm worried long term it might cause more problems. I'm kinda lost at what to do at the moment. When I got my muffler welded on, MufflerTech told me I had no flex pipe which is true. I'm not sure if I get a flex pipe installed, it would even fix the current problem. My main goal is to get a whole new legal exhaust system including California legal headers etc so everything can be bolted on. My current cat and whole dam exhaust system are welded on, so I can't replace the cat itself. What should I do? I can't create a new thread or post because I'm new and I figured replying to you is my best bet. My IG is "E92.Owen". If you could give me some suggestions I would much appreciate it. Thanks in advance