Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG h22a hybrid vtec problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG h22a hybrid vtec problems

well car was working out great for first 2 weeks and then one night i noticed that my vtec would now pop but not pull as hard and then the vtec would seem to die out after a while and then would pop very low with no pull at all and now it doesnt pop at all i checked the soloid and it clicks when 12 volts is put to it and i changed out the vtec oil pressure switch and all my wiring is right nothing is lose all grounds are good i took apart alot of stuff yesterday trying to figure it out and still nothing no more vtec
Old 05-23-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (Morhpeous)

and the its not clogged i checked for that too
Old 05-23-2004, 11:19 AM

I just looked at your signature...maybe hatches aren't for you !
Old 05-23-2004, 12:02 PM
MrEG6er21

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (H23AHybridEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23AHybridEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just looked at your signature...maybe hatches aren't for you !</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, how many motors have you gone through.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (MrEG6er21)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrEG6er21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, how many motors have you gone through.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...it sounds like you've had some bad-*** cars! What happened to all of them?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (H23AHybridEG)

i jsut get tired of them and build new ones
Old 05-24-2004, 06:57 AM

My Guess would be that the Problem is that Dave Hickman did the work
Old 05-24-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (DVSshoeco)

UM i did all the work not Dave i bought the intake manifold and throttle body off him thats it
Old 05-24-2004, 12:03 PM
MrEG6er21

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Morhpeous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i jsut get tired of them and build new ones</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, what your saying is that you have all ready wasted over 10k on engine swaps alone, when you could have been doing something more constructive with your money. Wow, you remind me of my old friend from high school he has already went through 5 swaps and counting.Yikes ....

What the hell did you do to those poor engines. Did ya do too many VTEC Ricer fly by's and blow the engine.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When did this thread ask for his history of this car(s) and/or where he got his intake?

To answer the question, plug your spark plug to start and see what is going on in the motor. What ECU you running?
Old 05-24-2004, 03:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrEG6er21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So, what your saying is that you have all ready wasted over 10k on engine swaps alone, when you could have been doing something more constructive with your money. Wow, you remind me of my old friend from high school he has already went through 5 swaps and counting.Yikes ....

What the hell did you do to those poor engines. Did ya do too many VTEC Ricer fly by's and blow the engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

MrEG6er21 go **** yoruself and no i never blew a motor and what does your response have to do with my topic, and if you need to kno when you sell a car you get $ and are able to build another one moron... im not rich

but besides that im using a p30 chipped out with hondata s100 and it was working perfectly and now its not but i went through process of elimnation and im almost 100% positive that its the vtec soloniod cause when put on a switch with 12volts when drivig at bout 4k rpms hit the switch and then nothing happens when that should engauge vtec...
Old 05-24-2004, 03:26 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

your solenoid might be jammed, it's obviously getting pressure otherwise you wouldn't get 12V, so try to use different vtec solenoid, or try to clean it.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (ABK)

no no no what im saying is i put 12 volts to it from battery on a switch like pretty much runnign vtec on a button and then when i pressed it at like 4-5k rpmz nothing happened
Old 05-24-2004, 06:16 PM

bt can a vtec solenoid go bad? or should i just take it apart and clean it all
Old 05-25-2004, 09:18 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

do you hear the solenoid click if you just run 12V source to it? I mean with the engine off and all (underneath the hood). IF you do than you might have something more serious.

Plug in the vtec solenoid back to the ECU and hook up a tester to the wire and go for a drive. Try to hit vtec if there is no current going thru that wire once you are supposed to hit vtec then it's either your ECU, or you got no oil pressure (either clogged up passage or bad oil pump).
Old 05-25-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you hear the solenoid click if you just run 12V source to it? I mean with the engine off and all (underneath the hood). IF you do than you might have something more serious.

Plug in the vtec solenoid back to the ECU and hook up a tester to the wire and go for a drive. Try to hit vtec if there is no current going thru that wire once you are supposed to hit vtec then it's either your ECU, or you got no oil pressure (either clogged up passage or bad oil pump).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

so should i hook up the volt meter in line with the ecu --&gt; vtec solenoid and i should see how much current(amps) its pushinf or should i use a volt meter and just run in parallel with it??

and if its my oil pump thats bad wouldnt the cams and stuff be all dry due to no oil being pushed through the motor??
Old 05-25-2004, 07:16 PM

Ok Here are sum results i put a test light inline with the vtec solenoid wire and with my ecu now it didnt even get any voltage which is ecu failure right there but then i put my bros ecu in my car and then i get voltage at 5k rpms where vtecs supposed to pop but it still doesnt but when i was driving it did like a slight pop but died out twice on me i dont know what the problem could be i def need new ecu could vtec solenoid be bad as well??
Old 05-25-2004, 08:25 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

do you get any CELs? You can test your solenoid by hooking up 12+ to it and listen if it clicks. If it doesn't then you need new solenoid, if it does check your oil pressure (since you already said that your bros ECU help). Oh yeah if I remember right your car needs to be up to operating temperature, oil pressure must be right, and you must be going over certain speed. Check your oil pressure you oil pump might be gone, also try to clean on the oil passage around vtec pressure switch and vtec solenoid.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tough problem but sounds like maybe the pump(oil) is starting to go bad. Prob hav'nt messed anything up yet but that's first thing I'd check before you do mess somethin up...............John
Old 05-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (h22John)

try swapping out a friends ecu and then run it
that would eliminate the ecu if it still dont work but if it do then you know it is the ecu
Old 05-26-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (H22A EG6)

Well My car was at operating temp and i was at the right speed to enguage vtec my bros ecu did help but a slight pop and died out my question now is how do i check my oil pressure???? should i buy a guage for it ???
Old 05-26-2004, 11:31 AM

I agree, your problem doesn't sound like the solenoid. It sounds more like intermittent oil pressure is causing the VTEC to flutter or not happen at all. Remember, the solenoid only lets pressure through when certain conditions are met. I can't name them all off the top of my head, but you need oil pressure, RPM, water temperature, etc. If one of these things isn't there, it won't go. But I digress... if it pops in and out, it sounds like the oil can't engage VTEC with the pressure it has. The oil pump sounds like the best feedback I've heard so far. I would get/borrow/steal/beg/plead/find an oil pressure gauge and see what it's getting. If that specs out, time to check the spool, etc. etc.

Good luck man.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems (delScho)

ok does anyone know off hand whats hondas spec for oil pressure for h22a1?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know exact specs but I'm sure it should be 25-35psi at idle and around 70 at 4k rpm. On an engine at operating temps. Thats what a 1.8T VW is supposed to be and I doubt Honda varies much from that..(I did'nt choose to be a VW tech, it chose me )......................John P.S. if it's at all under 20 psi you got an oil pressure prob I'm sure
Old 05-30-2004, 05:48 PM

got new p28 still no vtec but it is putting out voltage to the solenoid

Question: Temperature: The engine must have reached normal operating temperature.
Answer: CAR IS WARM

Question: Throttle Position: The throttle must be open far enough to allow for increased airflow in VTEC.
Answer: brand new at .5 volts closed

Question:Vehicle Speed: The car must be in motion (wheels spinning).
Answer; car is in motion

Question: RPM: Engine must spin to it's target value.
Answer:enguage 5500 rpm

Question:Oil Pressure: The engine must be operating with normal and safe levels of oil pressure determined by the VTEC pressure switch.
ANswer: i still havent been able to get oil pressure guage

Is there any other way to check oil pressure or any tricks to see if the oil pump is good or bad i still havent been able to track down a guage bout to try n buy one tommorow...

Quick Reply: EG h22a hybrid vtec problems