Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG GSR sway bar install help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EG GSR sway bar install help

How do I go about mounting this onto the subframe? Do I need longer bolts? Drilling? I couldn't really pull much on the search.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 PM
RIP 1032

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (Cuong-nutz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cuong-nutz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How do I go about mounting this onto the subframe? Do I need longer bolts? Drilling? I couldn't really pull much on the search. </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://geocities.com/bretq/swaybar_install.html
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (life sux die)

That sites down.

Sway bars are pretty straight forward. I went under the car and looked at the bar and could just tell. If i could do that you should be able to too.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (Luserkid)

you need to look on the inside portion of the subframe where the lca goes in and see if the factory nuts are there. my eg did not have them so I bought nuts and bolts to fit accordingly(could not find metric nuts at home depot thats why I had to buy bolts to). then I taped the nuts to a paint stick so I could hold them up inside the subframe, then start the bolts that hold on the sway bar brackets. hope this helps. you also need teg lca s or aftermarket ones.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:07 PM
RIP 1032

Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (Luserkid)

Originally Posted by Luserkid
That sites down.

Sway bars are pretty straight forward. I went under the car and looked at the bar and could just tell. If i could do that you should be able to too.
it works for me. here's what is on the site...

Disclaimer - Please read.

These installation instructions are intended for following cars:

* Acura Integra ('94-'01)
* Honda Civic ('92-'95)
* Honda Del Sol ('93-'97)

Here are the Acura parts that will be need:
1.) 52300-ST7-Z01 rear swaybar ($58.22)
2.) 52315-ST7-Z01 swaybar bushing ($3.27) (2 needed)
3.) 52308-SS0-000 bushing bracket ($5.14) (2 needed)
4.) 52316-ST7-Z00 endlink bushing ($1.46) (2 needed)
5.) 52312-ST7-Z00 endlink bushing collar ($4.16) (4 needed) – this part can be reused from the stock swaybar
6.) 90175-ST7-Z00 bolt (8x35) ($2.06) (2 needed)
7.) 94050-08080 flange nut (8mm) ($0.10) (2 needed)

Note: all prices are from Sunnyside Acura (prices current as of 2/27/2004)

Here are the miscellaneous parts that will be need:
1.) 1/8" thick x 1.0" wide x 3.5'' long piece of plated steel (2 required). *** INCLUDED IN MOUNTING KIT ***
2.) 1/2" (H) x 5/8" (OD) x 5/16" (ID) aluminum or steel spacer (2 required). *** INCLUDED IN MOUNTING KIT ***
3.) washers (inside diameter(ID) = 3/8") (outside diameter(OD) = 1") (2 required). *** INCLUDED IN MOUNTING KIT ***

*** MOUNTING KIT IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ***

(please visit http://www.geocities.com/bretq/mounting_kit.html for further information)

Note: Please see Figure 1 and Figure 2 to see the items listed above.

Here are the tools that will be needed: 12mm wrench, 12mm socket, 10mm socket, socket wrench, hammer, drill, 5/16" or 3/8" drill bit, chisel (optional).

Here are the steps for installing the Type-R swaybar:

1. Jack up the back of car and support it with jack stands.
2. Remove bolts (one each side) that attach the rear swaybar to the left and right endlinks.
3. Remove bolts (two each side) that attach the swaybar bushing bracket to the swaybar mounting bracket.
4. Remove bolts (two each side) that attach the swaybar mounting bracket to the suspension cross member frame.
5. Remove bolts (one each side) from ABS sensor bracket (see Figure 3). Remove the spot welded nut from the inside of suspension cross member frame. This is the nut that attaches the ABS sensor bracket to the suspension subframe. The nut can be removed by using a chisel and hammer or by unthreading the bolt half way and hitting the bolt head with a hammer.
6. Using a drill and a 5/16" or 3/8" drill bit, enlarge the ABS sensor wire bracket hole to accept the new bolt (8x35) (see Figure 4).
7. Cut two pieces of 1/8 inch (thick) by 1.0 inch (wide) steel to the same length as the new swaybar bushing bracket (3.5 inches). Using a 3/8" drill bit, drill holes in the two steel pieces to match the holes in the new bushing bracket (see Figure 5). The new plates are used as backing plates since the GS-R does not have a flat mounting surface on the suspension subframe such as the Type-R. *** OR BUY MOUNTING KIT *** (see Figure 6)
8. Insert new endlink bushing and endlink bushing collar into each end of the Type-R swaybar.
9. Attach Type-R swaybar to the stock end links using bolts removed in step #2. Do not torque bolts, this will be done in a later step. Note: please notice direction of bend in the swaybar (see Figure 7).
10. Place Type-R swaybar bushing over the swaybar. Place swaybar bushing bracket over bushing (see Figure 7).
11. Place fabricated backing plate on back of bushing bracket. Attach the top of the bushing bracket to the top hole vacated by the stock swaybar mounting bracket. Use one of the bolts that was removed in step #4.
12. A spacer of approx. 1/2 inch (see Figure 6) will be needed between the backing plate and the suspension subframe. Attach the bottom of the bushing bracket through the enlarged hole in step #6 using the new bolt (8x35 - this bolt is approx. 1/2 inch longer than the bolt that was used in step #10). Use the washer and flange nut on the backside of the subframe (inside chassis) to attach the bushing bracket to the bottom hole. Note: Loctite may be used on bolt threads to prevent them from coming loose.
13. Torque the bushing bracket bolts to the manufacture's specifications (16 lb-ft) (see Figure 7 and Figure 8).
14. Lower car and torque the endlink bolts to the manufacture's specifications (16 lb-ft) (see Figure 7 and Figure 8).

Fig.1

Fig.2

Fig.3

Fig.4

Fig.5

Fig.6

Fig.7

Fig.8
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

I thnk what he is looking for is different, that looks like an ITR bar install, but i guess the basic concept is the same. I think he's trying to put on the stock swaybar from an integra. Did u get the integra rear LCA's bro?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
RIP 1032

Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (rukawa1one)

it is a ITR swaybar. but as you said. the same concept applies.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One question for you guys:

Does the Subframe have welded nuts/threads for the Bracket going on to the subframe, or will i need my own nuts for the back of the subframe?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:37 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (D21X)

most likey if the car did not come with a sway bar, then it probably wont have welded nuts. So u may have to supply your own
Old 10-13-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (rukawa1one)

I know of the BSQ website. I just have a stock GSR sway bar. I'm waiting for my GSR LCAs to come in but I wanted to figure out how to mount the brackets on the subframe. I know there are holes for them but I wasn't sure if I was suppose to get longer bolts and drill all the way to the other side of the subframe and bolt it up.

Thanks everyone for your help
Old 10-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG GSR sway bar install help (Cuong-nutz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cuong-nutz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know of the BSQ website. I just have a stock GSR sway bar. I'm waiting for my GSR LCAs to come in but I wanted to figure out how to mount the brackets on the subframe. I know there are holes for them but I wasn't sure if I was suppose to get longer bolts and drill all the way to the other side of the subframe and bolt it up.

Thanks everyone for your help </TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont need longer bolts.
you dont need to drill any holes.
goes straight in the factory subframe holes.
if the sway came with the factory intagra bolts it should be fine. you just need to buy nut for it, because eg doesnt have welded backing nut like integra does. hope this help. (another thing if your buying nut/bolt make sure to get the nut that has the lock washer or add some washer if you cant find some)

try to line up the factory sway bracket to the subframe holes so you can be happy camper

the bracket will line up to the 1st and 2nd hole