Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG GSR SWAP TURNING PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG GSR SWAP TURNING PROBLEM

hey a friend of mine recently swapped a GSR engine in his eg hatch and every time he turns while giving it a bit of gas theres this big clunking noise coming from the axle area you can hear it and feel it, if he just does a coasting turn its fine but not when you give it gas.if he goes strait everything is perfect tranny doesnt grind or anything , kinda seems like its coming from the driver side . tranny might have some kind of aftermarket LSD insert if that matters....tried almost everything to fix this . except replace the tranny, could it be the tranny be mest up?

we put new axles and halfshaft , lifted the car just in case it was cuz its too low ,changed the spindles, motor mounts replaced ,everthing is bolted tight. so were pretty much stumped .

have any of you ever had this problem or a similar one if so what was it and how could we fix this?

would really appreciate your help.. thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG GSR SWAP TURNING PROBLEM

ttt
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the Ball joints and the maybe the Wheel bearing
Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does the sound happen while turning in both directions or only either left or right?..............
adam jeffery
Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HitF8
Check the Ball joints and the maybe the Wheel bearing
done that everything is fine
Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by farfrumugen
does the sound happen while turning in both directions or only either left or right?..............
adam jeffery
in both directions
Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure you replaced the wheel bearings? To check if its the wheel bearings, take off your wheels and also your brake calipers. Then try spinning the rotors by rotating the wheel studs with your fingers. It should start spinning freely like a bicycle wheel. If it doesn't and makes alot of noise, then its the wheel bearing for sure.

I believe that honda recommends replacing or servicing your wheel bearings every 80-100,000 miles. These parts don't last forever
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HAS A/M LSD get GM SYNCROMESH & Friction modifier done deal or highly overpriced & imposible to find KAAZ or CUSCO GL5 oil I run the GM stuff in my JDM ITR tranny with CUSCO good luck OH change cirlips on axle too OEM ONLY ! If you dont want ur axles poping out good luck
Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99gsvtec
HAS A/M LSD get GM SYNCROMESH & Friction modifier done deal or highly overpriced & imposible to find KAAZ or CUSCO GL5 oil I run the GM stuff in my JDM ITR tranny with CUSCO good luck OH change cirlips on axle too OEM ONLY ! If you dont want ur axles poping out good luck
????? ENGRISH?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
????? ENGRISH?
His transmission is equipped with a non-oem LSD which chatters badly without the correct mtl oil OEM honda oil doesnt have the right additives for the clutch discs in the aftermarket LSD OEM/JDM ITR & GSR LSD's are NOT clutch disc type LSD's they work completely different Ive tried 6 different oils in my transmission the best was GM syncromesh from local chevy dealer you MUST put friction modifier if you dont want it clunking/chattering You can also run Kaaz oil or Cusco even the GM stuff will run u around $50 for 3 or 4 bottles & additive Ford friction modifler is cheaper Ive heard Royal Purple makes there form of syncromesh as well I had the same problem as him & GM oil solved my problems the cusco/kaaz oil will be expensive too online
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99gsvtec
His transmission is equipped with a non-oem LSD which chatters badly without the correct mtl oil OEM honda oil doesnt have the right additives for the clutch discs in the aftermarket LSD OEM/JDM ITR & GSR LSD's are NOT clutch disc type LSD's they work completely different Ive tried 6 different oils in my transmission the best was GM syncromesh from local chevy dealer you MUST put friction modifier if you dont want it clunking/chattering You can also run Kaaz oil or Cusco even the GM stuff will run u around $50 for 3 or 4 bottles & additive Ford friction modifler is cheaper Ive heard Royal Purple makes there form of syncromesh as well I had the same problem as him & GM oil solved my problems the cusco/kaaz oil will be expensive too online
OH! Now I understand
Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by raidacaipo
OH! Now I understand
LOL ya dude I went through hell with my ITR tranny with a/m (after market) lsd Id much rather have oem LSD less headache easier to find oil ie THE DEALER oh & no clutch plates to wear out some people say syncromesh isnt made for our trannys honesly KAAZ oil is like molasis when u drive feels super tuff like there was friction/drag like car wouldnt even coast for shi@ there is Penzoil syncromesh at autozone & some LSD friction modifier too but I HATE penzoil products & the additive along with synthethic moblie 1 GL5 was smooth for about 3 days & clunking came back where as over 10k + miles on oem GM syncromesh with friction modifier (seperate bottle) added works wonders hell GM oil is the shi@ cause there trannys are junk haha
Old 06-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sure the diff isn't welded?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well we know its the tranny for sure now cuz we temporarily replaced it after trying many different kinds of oils and stuff ,we opened the tranny and and the differential gear was loose idk if thats normal but were gonna probably have it looked at by a transmission shop