Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG/gsr motor swap/P72 ECU - sluggish power & abnormally high vacuum test

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG/gsr motor swap/P72 ECU - sluggish power & abnormally high vacuum test

Been a while since I posted but I'm really going out of my mind with my motor. I ran a vacuum test and I got 25 in hg, sources tell me that there is intake restriction. It feels like a slug and I know that gsr motor in a eg is not a slug. I don't beat the motor up and I believe I get decent gas mileage on the car but on my butt dyno it feels like a sohc. When it does run the way it should it accelerates like a beast, thanks in advance for any info on helping solve this prob. I've got way more information on the motor and test I've done if it would help.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default re: EG/gsr motor swap/P72 ECU - sluggish power & abnormally high vacuum test

Background? Why did you do a vacuum test?

ECU?

Stock gsr?

CEL codes?

Last tune up?
Old 11-01-2014, 05:50 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default re: EG/gsr motor swap/P72 ECU - sluggish power & abnormally high vacuum test

It could be that your timing is too advanced.

eH.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Background? Why did you do a vacuum test? Last test.

ECU? P72 I believe,.....how can u tell if it's the right circuit board?
Craigslist buy. They guy opened it in front of me. I believe him....but that was years ago before the Craigslist scammers
Stock gsr? Stock

CEL codes? No Cel's

Last tune up?
all the the time.

Just set the timing and it ran like a beast ......then it turned into a a slug after a couple of weeks. ......timing belt has not inspected....bought the motor from password jdm....low mileage I think....should have changed bit but knowledge of these motors grows over the years and it's been more the four and it's ran like this. I can't complain because mileage has been ok but a gsr don't run like a sohc. I know become I drive my wife's civic b twice a week.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check whether the timing belt skipped a tooth.

Does the CEL work?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
It could be that your timing is too advanced.

Probably, imma paint the etchings on the crank just too make sure , they are kinda faded.

eH.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check whether the timing belt skipped a tooth.

Does the CEL work?
I'll check belt tomorrow for proper marks , Cel's work. Is there a possibility that the belt May been stretched because of having it over the factory recommend mileage? Also my battery went dead ......fuel maps may beem or timing have been lost .....do I need to set timing again?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by moz92
Is there a possibility that the belt May been stretched because of having it over the factory recommend mileage?
Not likely.

Also my battery went dead ......fuel maps may beem or timing have been lost .....do I need to set timing again?
The ECU should automatically relearn everything after driving for 30 minutes or so. Stock ECU, right?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not likely.

The ECU should automatically relearn everything after driving for 30 minutes or so. Stock ECU, right?
Stock ECU I believe, I got from a guy on Craigslist years back before people started scamming people. ....hope I wasn't the early year victim. ..can u tell by opening the ECU if it's correct besides the casing?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Background? Why did you do a vacuum test? Performance was ok then bad, then good but not great....swapped out exhaust because I felt that it would be good since I had the stock sohc and it had holes in it. The performance was slightly better but not what I expected. I then swapped the exhaust manifold out
for a stock GSR because I had LS DC sports header, performance increase to good then went back to the same thing. I finally got smarter and decided that I would look into a new o2 because I read that there might a possibility that sensor I was running was lazy (Bosch universal). I installed a Denso brand and the difference in the cars performance was night and day, for a couple of weeks. I finally decided to check the timing and it was way off. I didn't check the timing because I had a mechanic set the timing a while back years back. Timing was set according to factory procedures and again the car ran like a beast, for three week's. So here I am now doing a vacuum test because I got tired of messing around and figured I had a vacuum leak that was hiding because of the gsr manifold set up.

ECU? Stock

Stock gsr? Stock

CEL codes? No codes, CEL works

Last tune up? All the time
Old 11-04-2014, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=RonJ@HT;50036075]Check whether the timing belt skipped a tooth.

Just got around to checking the belt and every mark seems to be dead on when I put at TDC. I don't know but it feels as if the belt is loose. It's squeeks when I crank it by hand and slightly moves upward when putting tension on it from cranking it, I'm probably just imagining things.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Follow the service manual procedure to tension the timing belt if you think it's loose. And be sure only to turn the timing belt counterclockwise.

Describe how you adjusted/checked the ignition timing. For example, did you jump the service connector and ensure the engine was idling to spec?

Have you measured the fuel pressure and tested the FPR?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Idle was @749......timing was set like this, service port was jumped before car was turned on, vehicle reached ON temp and fan actual came on, at set a 16 btdc.... using a timing light....marking on timing belt cover were aligned with timing mark being in the middle at 16 dg.

I'm going to post a video of my timing belt...my Co worker said it's loose in his opinion.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

750 rpms seems too high to set the ignition timing, which also should be set to the middle mark in the group of three.

Edit: 750 rpms is good.

Did you align with red mark?
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aligned to red mark. ...I cant figure out how add a link here to a video I posted on YouTube. The video is called b18c timing loose. It's the video
Old 11-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just paste link into post.

Last edited by Former User; 11-05-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vacuum test and diagnosis

Too loose:

Follow the service manual procedure to tension the timing belt...And be sure only to turn the timing belt counterclockwise.

Have you measured the fuel pressure and tested the FPR?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, will do. I Appreciate the help.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lucky that thing hasnt skipped a few teeth.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would replace that belt.

Is your cat clogged or broken?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
I would replace that belt.

Is your cat clogged or broken?
Based on the vacuum test I ran, the chart said I had intake restriction. Is there any other way of testing the cat?

Not sure if this has anything to do with my cat, but I was driving my car with bad oil rings or valve guides, car smoked like a train.
It wasn't the GSR , I had a LS at the time that I gonna rebuild. I decided to go with the GSR because it was more work than I thought.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Low intake manifold vacuum without a vacuum leak can be indicative of a clogged cat. Exhaust can't escape. Engine can't inhale.

You can take off your cat and look thru it. See if you see a clog. Or to test if it's broken, get under the car and hit it with your palm. Listen for rattling or a broken noise. If its broken, it will sound pieces of broken ceramic dish are jumping around inside your exhaust. Obviously....wait for it to cool off...
Old 11-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Watch this video:

Originally Posted by moz92
I ran a vacuum test and I got 25 in hg, sources tell me that there is intake restriction.
This^ diagnosis fits, but in my mind would cause a low idle problem. Check whether somebody messed with the throttle stop screw of the throttle body or whether the air filter is clogged.

Originally Posted by B serious
Low intake manifold vacuum without a vacuum leak can be indicative of a clogged cat. Exhaust can't escape. Engine can't inhale.
This^ diagnosis does not fit.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG/gsr motor swap/P72 ECU - sluggish power

Watch this video:

How to Use a Vacuum Gauge to Diagnose Engine Problems - YouTube

Jusr ran another vacuum test without the filter at full operating temp, still the the same 25hg reading.

This^ diagnosis fits, but in my mind would cause a low idle problem. Check whether somebody messed with the throttle stop screw of the throttle body or whether the air filter is clogged.

This^ diagnosis does not fit.

Quick Reply: EG/gsr motor swap/P72 ECU - sluggish power & abnormally high vacuum test