Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   eg/gsr with civic ac unit.....what belt to run? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/eg-gsr-civic-ac-unit-what-belt-run-2777660/)

danielblushtein 05-17-2010 07:06 AM

eg/gsr with civic ac unit.....what belt to run?

Hey there I got a 95 eg with 95 gsr and it still has all the ac lines and I just got a civic ac pump thing. in order to mount it on the block, I used a b16a3 ac bracket and it works perfect. Only thing is what belt do I run? Is it civic or gsr ac belt?

Matt93eg 05-17-2010 07:15 AM

Re: eg/gsr with civic ac unit.....what belt to run?

Civic A/C Belt will be to short. I have the same setup as you except with a 93 Civic and an LS instead of a GSR. I am using a CR-V B20 A/C Belt, fits and works perfectly. I have heard you can also use the Integra belt but have no personal experience going that route. CR-V B20 belt works perfect for me.

Good Luck and that "Civic A/C Pump thing" would be the A/C Compressor. :thumbup:

danielblushtein 05-17-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93eg (Post 42497291)
Good Luck and that "Civic A/C Pump thing" would be the A/C Compressor. :thumbup:

lol I always think thats something else Now for sure I wont get mixed up

oh btw I have not had ac for the past 2 years and now I got the bracket and COMPRESSOR so I should just take it to a ac dude and he'll do the rest ...right?

Ef8crxsi4u2nv 05-18-2010 04:21 AM

You could take it to "The ac dude" and spend a ton of money, or you could try what Matt93eg said and get the CR-V B20 belt. Heres a link i found. Just Copy/ Paste. It was being Ghey and didn't let me Link directly
http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...Ntt=A%2FC+Belt

Ef8crxsi4u2nv 05-18-2010 04:28 AM

Nevermind. It works now :shrug:

danielblushtein 05-18-2010 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ef8crxsi4u2nv (Post 42506951)
You could take it to "The ac dude" and spend a ton of money, or you could try what Matt93eg said

no I mean when everyhting is ready. Isn't the ac guy supposed to charge the system?

300whpej 05-18-2010 07:10 AM

you can charge the system yourself with some cans of r134 from any local auto parts store, but a shop would be able to get all the old freon and any other gunk out of the lines and fill them back up with the correct amount of freon. doing it yourself is about 20-30 bucks and maybe a half hour, versus roughly 80 bucks at a shop.

what is the condition of the compressor you are using? was it on someones car, sitting in a shed, in a junkyard, etc? if it may be compromised i wouldnt hesitate spending the money at a shop.

Matt93eg 05-18-2010 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by 300whpej (Post 42507886)
you can charge the system yourself with some cans of r134 from any local auto parts store, but a shop would be able to get all the old freon and any other gunk out of the lines and fill them back up with the correct amount of freon. doing it yourself is about 20-30 bucks and maybe a half hour, versus roughly 80 bucks at a shop.

what is the condition of the compressor you are using? was it on someones car, sitting in a shed, in a junkyard, etc? if it may be compromised i wouldnt hesitate spending the money at a shop.

You forgot to tell him he is going to have to pull a deep Vacuum on the system. Not doing this will leave excess moisture in the system and it will never work right.

OP, as he said you can do it yourself. You can rent Vacuum pumps at some parts stores I am told, My Dad has one so I don't have to worry about renting one. I have also heard you can get Vacuum pumps at Harbor Freight for like 75 bucks although I don't know how well they actually work.

Since you haven't had A/C for 2 years and it appears the system has been open since you just recently got the correct A/C mounting bracket, your Drier is going to be saturated with moisture and most likely be useless so I would get another drier, there roughly 25 bucks at Advanced Auto Parts.

Also those "Gauges" on those DIY Refrigerant bottles are junk(IMO) so I wouldn't trust them and would get a Gauge Manifold set. I have a 30G bottle of R134a so that keeps me from having to use those little DIY bottles anyways.

I searched back and found this writeup another member did that will explain things to you in more detail. I highly recommend reading it so you will have a much better idea of how everything works.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-how-charge-your-c-air-conditioner-conditioning-system-home-1665946/

danielblushtein 05-18-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93eg (Post 42508166)
Since you haven't had A/C for 2 years and it appears the system has been open since you just recently got the correct A/C mounting bracket, your Drier is going to be saturated with moisture and most likely be useless so I would get another drier, there roughly 25 bucks at Advanced Auto Parts.[/url]

thanks dude i'll sure look into a dryer since its not that much