Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Foglights: wiring issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Foglights: wiring issue...

I just wired in my DEPO foglights and they arent working. I turn on the headlights, the foglight button's backlight turns on and then when I attempt to turn on the foglights (push the foglight button) the foglights don't turn on. I can hear the relay click once when I push the button and the green light on the button glows, but that's about it. Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: EG Foglights: wiring issue... (besouza)

Make sure that the red wire with the ring at the end located on the passenger side is connected to the positive terminal of the battery.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check all your grounds..check the bulbs...where did u run the power?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you run the wire that goes from the interior harness to the exterior harness?
Old 07-19-2005, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EG Foglights: wiring issue... (BlueIntegraBoy)

read the DIY on my sig

[EDIT] if you're too lazy to... here's a couple of things..
first, make sure the red wire with the ring on the relay side is connected to the positive terminal on the battery and not the "ground" like it says on the manual.
second, make sure you grounded the black wire on the driver side fog light connector and the black ground wire inside the cabin with the brown and foghlight button plug (green)
third, try putting the brown, fusebox plug into the 4th socket... when counting from the driver side door to the center console, plug it into the 4th one... that should allow it to turn on with your parking lights (assuming your foglight button is pressed down)
hope this helps
Old 07-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Foglights: wiring issue... (my head a plode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my head a plode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Make sure that the red wire with the ring at the end located on the passenger side is connected to the positive terminal of the battery.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ring is on the battery, still doesnt work.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SPNFEDEJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check all your grounds..check the bulbs...where did u run the power?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All the grounds are in place, I ran the power to the battery and the #2 slot on the fuse box. And I assumed that the bulbs were already there since I never touched them...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you run the wire that goes from the interior harness to the exterior harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you mean, did I plug the 2 red connectors togethor? Then yes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fms1day &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">read the DIY on my sig</TD></TR></TABLE>

I read it, and did everything in there, but it STILL DOESN'T WORK!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 10:26 PM

hmm.. how about the fuse on the relay wire? did you check that? then the next would be the bulbs...
Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Foglights: wiring issue... (fms1day)

I plugged into fuse slot #2... the relay works since I hear a click in it and the foglight button lights up.. I think.

EDIT:
oops, i thought you meant the fuse box.. The fuse in the relay is not broken...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Try this...

Unscrew all the bumper screws and place the bumper on the ground in front of the car. Do not unplug/unwire anything. Make sure the car is off when you do this.

Now, with your bumper on the floor (old carpet or newspapers in case the bumper tips forward) start your car and turn on the headlights and the foglights. If the foglights turn on it may be a grounding issue because the metal brackets holding the foglight assembly may be touching the body of the car.

If it still doesn't turn on with the bumper off the car let us know.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Foglights: wiring issue... (Outrun)

Can't I just run a wire from the bracket to the ground? Taking the bumper off is a pain in the ***.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 AM

Nice write-up!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by besouza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can't I just run a wire from the bracket to the ground? Taking the bumper off is a pain in the ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>

even if it's a pain, if you have one whole day off/free... you might as well.. because i'm sure it's becoming a "pain" just wondering 'why' your fogs arent working... =/

and while you're at it... check the bulbs... check that all three of the DEPO wires (long one with fog connectors, the red one, and the cabin one (fusebox, fog button) wires all are connected well... go throw all the basics.. because if you tried to bundle up the wires in the cabin so it wont just dangle, you might have unhooked a plug or wire somewhere...
Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Foglights: wiring issue... (fms1day)

is the plug in the back of the switch plugged all the way into the switch, thats waht happened with mine, i didnt have it seated firmly and it fell out but it was barely touching so the relay would click but then the lights would not come on
Old 07-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Foglights: wiring issue... (SnowSurfer)

All fixed... I went to my mechanic. Turns out there was 1 bad ground. Anyways they are working/looking great now! I got them setup to turn on without the headlights on AND turn off when the keys are out. Thank's for everyones help.