Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg/ek hood and cooling, (running hot)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg/ek hood and cooling, (running hot)

i have a turbo 95 ex that running hot and i was wondering if anyone knows if one of the next gen's hood with the vents at the very front whre the hood latch is, would fit my car. i w oiuld rather try to sort the cooling out with a more open hood then straight off sticking a vent on top of it and cutting a hole in it. any ionfo would be great.
Jason
Old 01-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: eg/ek hood and cooling, (JChops)

do you mean the water temp is running too hot,or there's just too much built up heat in the engine bay?
if the car's running too hot,you probably need to upgrade to a bigger radiator,assuming your cooling system is in otherwise good condition.a Del Sol VTEC radiator drops right in and can be had for less than $100.
if you want to get some of the heat out of the engine bay,try removing the front weatherstripping from the underside of the hood,and the weatherstripping on the cowl cover.i did this on my car and noticed a big drop in underhood temps,as it allows air to flow through the engine bay.i haven't had any problems with driving in the rain.
if you meant you want to swap a hood from a 96+ civic on to your car,it won't work.
chris
Old 01-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg/ek hood and cooling, (TeamNextGenChris)

another option would be to go to home depot and do the supa JDM hood trick with some nylon washers and longer bolts......inster washers and longer bolts to place the hood mounts and it creates a gap to let hot air out
<----runs this way during the summer heat
Old 01-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eg/ek hood and cooling, (ITRacer121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITRacer121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another option would be to go to home depot and do the supa JDM hood trick with some nylon washers and longer bolts......inster washers and longer bolts to place the hood mounts and it creates a gap to let hot air out
&lt;----runs this way during the summer heat</TD></TR></TABLE>
that's another option,but you can remove the weatherstripping from the back edge and accomplish the same thing with less exposure to the elements(since the hood sides are still sitting down flush),and you don't ride around looking stupid with your hood propped up at the back like it doesn't fit right.
chris
Old 01-24-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: eg/ek hood and cooling, (TeamNextGenChris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you mean the water temp is running too hot,or there's just too much built up heat in the engine bay?
if the car's running too hot,you probably need to upgrade to a bigger radiator,assuming your cooling system is in otherwise good condition.a Del Sol VTEC radiator drops right in and can be had for less than $100.
if you want to get some of the heat out of the engine bay,try removing the front weatherstripping from the underside of the hood,and the weatherstripping on the cowl cover.i did this on my car and noticed a big drop in underhood temps,as it allows air to flow through the engine bay.i haven't had any problems with driving in the rain.
if you meant you want to swap a hood from a 96+ civic on to your car,it won't work.
chris</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you have a turbo, you definitely want to have a bigger radiator. You could get the Del Sol VTEC or get a performance one, like Fluidyne(sp?)
Old 01-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Pooping on children

Default Re: eg/ek hood and cooling, (DemonHippie)

go for the del sol vtec radiator you wont be disapointed
Old 01-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: eg/ek hood and cooling, (JChops)

I'd check out the simple things first... I doubt you're running hot because of the turbo... unless you're running lean...

Either way the stock cooling system should be doing just fine... My civic has 175k on it and the radiator looks clogged as hell (the fins) but it still works fine... the only time my car has EVER over-heated was when the thermostat went bad...

I'd check things out before I went changing radiators and mounting your hood all F'd up.

Something as simple as old or improperly mixed antifreeze could GREATLY reduce your cars cooling capability.

How long have you been turbo and how long has it been running hot?
Also how hot... does it force you to stop driving or is it just running a little hot all the time...
Do you have an aftermarket temp guage or just the stocker?
Any clue on how rich/lean you're running?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:25 AM

i replaced my radiator witha new one from autozone or whatever this summer cause the old one was clogged the hell up. it was doing alright for the most part, a month ago i drove from ddc to philly at 70-90 thw whole way with no troulbe but a week later it was over heating bad on the highway. apparently i have a nasty coolant leak somewhere. its been close to freezing for the last few weeks and i drove the beast yesterday to finbd it overheating after ten minutes of city driving. it also was idling real erraticcally and hitting 3500rpm while warming up, very scary. im not sure what to do, about to have AAA tow it to a garage. the thermostat was also replaced this summer. the head might be warmed but i havent had it checked out. my cars dieing i need help!!! no aftermarket temp gauge or tuning devices, turbo for 10K+
Old 01-26-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Re: (JChops)

Your head gasket could be bad.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JChops &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> no aftermarket temp gauge or tuning devices, turbo for 10K+</TD></TR></TABLE>

What do you mean no tuning devices? What kind of turbo kit are you running? There should always be some fuel management in turbo setups...
Old 01-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (JChops)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JChops &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i replaced my radiator witha new one from autozone or whatever this summer cause the old one was clogged the hell up. it was doing alright for the most part, a month ago i drove from ddc to philly at 70-90 thw whole way with no troulbe but a week later it was over heating bad on the highway. apparently i have a nasty coolant leak somewhere. its been close to freezing for the last few weeks and i drove the beast yesterday to finbd it overheating after ten minutes of city driving. it also was idling real erraticcally and hitting 3500rpm while warming up, very scary. im not sure what to do, about to have AAA tow it to a garage. the thermostat was also replaced this summer. the head might be warmed but i havent had it checked out. my cars dieing i need help!!! no aftermarket temp gauge or tuning devices, turbo for 10K+</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why was the radiator clogged? That sounds like you're problem there... I'd bet the water pump is no good. Someone probobly used the wrong anti-freeze or used non-distilled water in there a long time ago and it's corroding crap inside the system...

The irratic idle is almost definately due to low coolant level... which would also explain the over heating...

Get a price quote from a garage to leak test the cooling system... Depending on what they find you go from there...