Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG/EJ valve cover replacement help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG/EJ valve cover replacement help...

Okay so I'm going to soon order up a powder coated vavle cover from a shop for $120? Don't know much about changing the vavle cover but it's pretty easy right? How hard can it be? All you got to do is unscrewed the bolts/nail on the valve cover right?

But what I need to know is do I need a new cooler plate? But what is that? It's not a gasget right? Hey sorry don't know much yet still new to the import world yo...but yeah any help will be great on this...looks nice the coated valve covers by the way they're only stock just powder coated so basically I'm going to take off the old one for a powder coated one....why don't I just try to powder coat it myself etc. if you may ask...well the valve cover that i'm going to order is actually pretty sweet looking professinally done lets say vs an crappy powder coated one or the polished ones which are okay...so basically do I need to change anything else once I put on the new one?....wish I can post a picture of it but oh well...anyways help is needed thanks...
Old 03-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: EG/EJ valve cover replacement help... (JDMegCoupe)

There's no cooler plate. Just replace the gasket.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Easy to swap out. Ive got a red painted one to sell if you decide not to get the powder coated one.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (T-RO)

simple task. Undo the 8 nuts. remove the hose thats attached to valve cover and pcv line too. pull up. and ur done. 120 bills is mad expensive i dont think its worth it.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92civichatch1)

$120 a bit much? Will it's not local wish it was but basically I think it includes shipping if not plus but guess I'll have to post up the picture for you guys to see if it's worth it...well I'll link it so check back I should have it...as a matter of fact since i'm on trail let me try it now...okay just got done putting it to a site so check it out let me know what you guys think...I think it looks freaken sweet compare to some I've seen....it's

http://www.geocities.com/six_pacz006/sweetval.jpg

so basically just that eh remove the bolts and whatever else in the way and pop it up? of course take out the spark plugs rright? well let me know what you think of it...freaken sweet I think cuz no plans for the engine just stock until I save enough for a k20 (rsx type s)so yeah...hollaz...
Old 03-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: EG/EJ valve cover replacement help... (JDMegCoupe)

you're talking about replacing the plain aluminum VC right? save your money and paint with high temp paint. mask it well and use brillow pads or a air-polisher to clean up the lettering. of course you want to pull it off the car...i've seen guys try to do it in the car, no good. anyway, new gasket, put some grey RTV on the corners that fit into the sides of the cam humps (this is how a good honda repair shop would do things ) when you're done, don't forget your ground cable if yours goes to the VC.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that pic is nice but i would go the $8 spray paint method instead.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah just the aluminum valve cover....I don't know I mean I've haven't seen all the ways people coated their valve cover but just thought this ones pretty sweet (stands out the most) I mean it does have the high heat temp. paint and a glossy finish the guy who had it whom I talked to says it's pretty nice just something to make it more presentable so guess I'll go with it...come looks sweet though eh? take a look at the link to the pic if you haven't and tell me should I do it myself i'm a amature yet in this import scene....so yeah..but okay so just new gaskets? How much will that cost me? can I just do it with the old one? or will i run into other issues using the old gasket?thanks for the help though....