Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG dash..heater core

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG dash..heater core

can anyone help me or have a write up/ walk through on how to take out a eg dash and replace the heatercore.

thanks
Old 10-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: EG dash..heater core (aglobalthreat52)

Unplug everything connected to the heater core and unbolt it.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that picture will def help you locate all the dash bolts. once you get the dash out of the way taking the heater core out and replacing with be the easy part. gl with it
Old 10-22-2006, 05:13 PM

I just went through this ordeal, and lemme tell ya: Get a box of baggies, and label them "Dash bolts", "Steering column", "Cluster Bezel", etc... It'll save you a lot of aggrevation. You will have to drop the large curved metal bar that goes under the dash, and you have to drop the steering column to get the dash out. Best of luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (sharkytm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkytm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just went through this ordeal, and lemme tell ya: Get a box of baggies, and label them "Dash bolts", "Steering column", "Cluster Bezel", etc... It'll save you a lot of aggrevation. You will have to drop the large curved metal bar that goes under the dash, and you have to drop the steering column to get the dash out. Best of luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm goin' to be so upset and frustrated if my probem isn't the heatercore, but just somethin' stupid.

_taF
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tallazzFilipino)

You dont have to take the dash out. Taking the header core out should take about 40 minutes tops.

You need a 10mm deep socket and ratchet, and if possible a really long extension. It'd make it a lot easier. I use a 6" extension for some things, and a 18" extension for 1 or 2 of them.

-Disconenct your battery.
-Take off or disconnect the heater hoses.
-Take out your glove box and the metal rail that holds it in.
-There about 5-7 10mm bolts that hold the entire box in, so take them out.
-Theres a mechanical lever for the heater activation. Take note how its connectd to the metal rod. Then Unplug it, and unlatch it.
-The heater box will almost just drop out if you dont have ac. If you have ac, it takes some maneuvering.
-Once out, the box comes apart with these little metal clasps and the heater core replacement should be pretty self explanitory once you have it apart.

Replace your heater hoses if your doing this.. they tend to wear out over time so this is the ideal time. If they wear out and break then you loose all your coolant.. and you know what happens then.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tallazzFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i'm goin' to be so upset and frustrated if my probem isn't the heatercore, but just somethin' stupid.

_taF</TD></TR></TABLE>

so explain your problem, and maybe someone here'll try to help you diagnose it..
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: (EgSalad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tallazzFilipino &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

_taF</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you sure its that easy as mine has been gone for a month now ive bypassed the core and bought a 12v heater (absolutely crap) to keep it on the road , ive got a new core ready to go in but ive been putting off the job as several people have told me you need to take the dash out. i dont have a/c . Is that 40 mins for R&R or fust removal thanks matt

have you done 1 of these the way u have specified ?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just put my foot in my mouth.. so to speak. I read the thread and for some reason had core switched in my head to blower. Guess its what happens when im back forth at my desk at work. The "how to" I posted is for the heater blower, not the heater core. Sorry. The 40 minutes for the blower is correct.

For the core, yah.. you have to pull the dash. Since its behind the radio.
BUT.. the dash is more intimidating than it is hard.
-Take the center console out if you've got one so its not bolting the dash down to the floor.
-Theres a couple of bolts on the sides by the doors, then one up top by the windshield
-Then you just have to drop the steering column which is 2 or 4 bolts.. I cant remember.
-The dash pulls out real easy, so with hand tools, and for your first time probably take you about an hour or hour and a half. Then the heater core and box is all right there and pretty easy to change out after you've taken the hoses off or disconnected them.

And to answer your question.. yes, ive done this a few times. Like I said.. the dash is more intimitating than it is hard to take out.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EgSalad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EgSalad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just put my foot in my mouth.. so to speak. I read the thread and for some reason had core switched in my head to blower. Guess its what happens when im back forth at my desk at work. The "how to" I posted is for the heater blower, not the heater core. Sorry. The 40 minutes for the blower is correct.

For the core, yah.. you have to pull the dash. Since its behind the radio.
BUT.. the dash is more intimidating than it is hard.
-Take the center console out if you've got one so its not bolting the dash down to the floor.
-Theres a couple of bolts on the sides by the doors, then one up top by the windshield
-Then you just have to drop the steering column which is 2 or 4 bolts.. I cant remember.
-The dash pulls out real easy, so with hand tools, and for your first time probably take you about an hour or hour and a half. Then the heater core and box is all right there and pretty easy to change out after you've taken the hoses off or disconnected them.

And to answer your question.. yes, ive done this a few times. Like I said.. the dash is more intimitating than it is hard to take out.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, i was wonderin' what you meant when you said 5-7 10mm bolts to remove tha heater box. there were just 2 10mm nuts on tha firewall, cabin side, and 1 10mm nut on tha firewall, engine bay side. since i did have AC, i had to remove that and that passenger-side metal piping. before all that, i did have to take out my dash.

o, my heater core was leakin' from one of tha welds. it lasted 13 years though, lol. i don't think i ever want to do this again. if i still do have this car, i hope tha next time i have it, i'll have a second (or even third) vehicle. i can't believe how much has to be removed just to get to that frikkin' heater core. i remember completely strippin' my friends VX like way back in tha day for paint. it was more of a hassle for me because of a lot of customized wirin' i've done.

do you guys know of any aftermarket heater cores that are good enough?

thanks,
_taF
Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll sell you the whole shebang for $25 + shipping....or just the core if you want me to rip it apart. I'm stripping the car for parts and keeping only the B18c1 that was swapped in.

jack
Old 01-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jack ffr1846)

if only you were closer, but i just got mine rewelded and pressure tested from a reputable radiator shop. lousy job, i tell ya. it seemed to work fine around town. but after a long trip to and around L.A., it dripped twice (at least) on a napkin i placed down just in case. even with tha valve shut. grrr... i've got to take all tha shiet out again. and i need my heater durin' this sudden coldness we're havin'. i just don't have time to do all that crap again. i guess when income permits, i'll spend on an a brand new OEM piece (just to be sure).

_taF
Old 01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha this is off topic but the heater core went bad in our work truck. 99 dodge Ram. the glove box had to come out. then a couple bolts that kept the heater core in place. and the whole assembely swiveled out over the floor in the passanger side. silly hondas , haha
Old 01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

that's how it is in our compact cars.

_taF
Old 01-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha this is off topic but the heater core went bad in our work truck. 99 dodge Ram. the glove box had to come out. then a couple bolts that kept the heater core in place. and the whole assembely swiveled out over the floor in the passanger side. silly hondas , haha </TD></TR></TABLE>

Silly trolls, haha