Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eg coupe shell for winter with possible b16a ls tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eg coupe shell for winter with possible b16a ls tranny

ok as the title says i got a eg coupe shell left over from my crx type r swap and i want to use it for next winter so i got the whole summer to build what i want. i got 2 dseries engines left over but to me there not powerful enough at all and i dont feel like spending to much money on them.

i can get a jdm first gen b16 block with 30k miles for $750 or a b20 with the same approx. miles for $400. but considering i love vtec and want good gas milage im deciding to go b16 wiyth ls tranny since i wourk an hour away on highway everyday 6 days a week.

i heard that the ls tranny on a b16 will cuase vtec to fall out during the shifts but i can simply fix that by gettin a vtec controller.

i want good gas milage and a decent amout of fun under the hood and i love vtec to much to let it go. i also dont want to be spending a bunch of money on a beater but want it sumwhat enjoyable.

suggestions or thoughts on my thinking is greatly appreciated. ANYTHING. neg. pos. feedback all welcome.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: eg coupe shell for winter with possible b16a ls tranny (keep_up)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keep_up &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok as the title says i got a eg coupe shell left over from my crx type r swap and i want to use it for next winter so i got the whole summer to build what i want. i got 2 dseries engines left over but to me there not powerful enough at all and i dont feel like spending to much money on them.

i can get a jdm first gen b16 block with 30k miles for $750 or a b20 with the same approx. miles for $400. but considering i love vtec and want good gas milage im deciding to go b16 wiyth ls tranny since i wourk an hour away on highway everyday 6 days a week.

i heard that the ls tranny on a b16 will cuase vtec to fall out during the shifts but i can simply fix that by gettin a vtec controller.

i want good gas milage and a decent amout of fun under the hood and i love vtec to much to let it go. i also dont want to be spending a bunch of money on a beater but want it sumwhat enjoyable.

suggestions or thoughts on my thinking is greatly appreciated. ANYTHING. neg. pos. feedback all welcome. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Vtec controller will 'fix' you loosing vtec on upshifts, but it will most likely make your car SLOWER. Honda made the Vtec cross-over at a certian RPM for a reason, because the motor has MORE power without Vtec engaged below a certian RPM.

If you lower your Vtec crossover your car will have even LESS power suddenly because again, honda meant for the cross-over to happen at a certian RPM for a reason.

Keep in mind, 'vtec controllers' really have little/no purpose, and are really just a gimmick, you are better off chipping your ECU, or getting a stand-alone, as they can both control your Vtec crossover. But again, people that DO change the cross-over and see gains typically have headwork done and are far from stock.

if you wanna keep decent gasmileage and want decent pep, Get a B18B (LS motor) with a B18B Trans *I'm a bit biased, thats what I have, Lol* the transmission was meant for that motor, because the B18B has grunt downlow and doesn't need to rev to high-hell to make power like the B16 does. I spent $750 for my FULL B18B1 swap (Axles, ECU, wiring, mounts, trans, everything)

on a side-note, what kind of B20 were you looking at that was $400? The B20B only has 126hp/133tq, while the B20Z has 142hp/133tq (While lastly the B18B1 has 142hp/127tq, and is typically more readily available than the B20Z and for quite a bit cheaper, my longblock was $250...)