Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Civic long run build planning.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 EG Civic long run build planning.

So, first i wanna say Hi to the whole Honda-tech community!

So, soon i will be getting my car, saved some money, so I am planning some stuff. Have rotated all kinds of stuff > VWs, BMWs, Peugeots, S-Chassis's, Skylines etc. and all seem off for me.

Car gonna be used for DD and Medium to Hard track driving.

What im looking for:

- Small, light car.
- Independent suspension (combined shock and spring in the rear, and independent left from right)
- All 4 disc brakes
- Easy to work on (not VW type, where to swap a A/C unit you have to tear the whole damn car apart (Passat B5.5))
- Heaps of Aftermarket parts available (manifolds, injectors, fuel rails, suspension upgrades, coilovers, turbo kits etc.)

So after searching, searching, and a lot of searching i found nothing.

Then i stubmled upon Hondas. I've been avoiding them because of the "Honda thing". (rice, stupid stance, camber cars).

And then i found it! The Honda Civic EG Hatchback! Its perfect!

Jumped on the local car search, and after a hard search, came up with this:

Honda civic eg3 - Honda automobili - Livno - PIK.ba

Divide "KM" or "BAM" by 2 and you get Euros, so 3500BAM = 1750 Euros = 2130USD

Perfect! Looked down at specs, and suprise-suprise, its a carburated D13. Well...engine swap.

So after 7 or so days of research, browsing forums, reading builds, brainstorming stuff i decided to go for a B18C swap. Why?

I am a electric engineering student, and a electronics freak! I also love to tweak and do stuff right. I also adore perfect wiring and perfection.

So i resarched a lot on standalone EMS and sensors, how OBD engines work, how sensors work and how injection and igniton is synched etc. So i thinked of "electrifying" the engine.

- AEM EPM - Ditch the mechanical distributor and exchange it for some AEM Smart Coils. (no K20 because the AEM EPM is more convinient for me)
- All new AEM sensors - replace water and oil temp sensors, install a AEM MAP sensor, AEM Wideband controller,

And on top of that an AEM Infinity 6 ECU. The pinnacle of AEM's technology.

Im planning on using all-around AEM stuff becasue its cross-compatible and the Infinity ECU Tuner has all the sensors pre-calibrated. Also extensive manuals are available for all AEM products.

So i sourced a innocent Civic with a B18.

Honda Civic 1.8VTEC - Honda automobili - Gradi?ka - PIK.ba

So i need info whenether whis is a B18C? I whink it is becasue it has a VTEC head, and the "About" section lists its a 1.8

So the plan is :

1. Buy the EG

2. Perfect the suspension and wheels.
> Replace LCA's, clean everything, paint everything new black, rear disc brake swap, Koni/GroundControl coilovers, Skunk2 Camber kit, BEAKS braces, ASR Sway bars, new wheels, new semi-slick rubber, remove P/S if the EG3 has that etc.

2. Perfect the interior.
> New semi-bucket or bucket seats, harness, roll bar, strip the interior, clean EVERYTHING surgically to perfection, remove sound dampening material, remove carpets, remove A/C or heater if that is the EG3 thing and go for minimum weight.

Meanwhile...

1. Buy that innocent civic
2. Remove engine, axles, shift linkage and that stuff need for a swap
3. Sell the shell as spare parts (or swap the D13 in and sell the car?? hmm)

And then fully build the B18 for a turbo setup. New cams, rods, pistons, piston rings, new valvetrain, port and polish head, polish the block to perfection, make everything as clean as possible (remove stains, grease, oil etc.) Then get a Full-Race manifold and a Garret GT3076R "ebay special" turbo, wastegate, AEM boost control solenoid, and all supporting mods.
Injectors, new fuel rail, intake manifold, and all that fun stuff. Basically everything you can do to a B18 except for sleeving. Also some nice clutch from Exedy/ACT/someothercompany.

Hoping the B18 sleeves can handle the 300BHP im looking forward to.

After building the motor i shall:

1. Remove the D13
2. Install the B18 with hasport mounts
3. Do a full harness all from scratch from spare cable and plugs.
4. Relocate battery to trunk
5. Install a race fuel cell with Bosch 044 fuel pumps and a swirl pot, redo the fuel lines (from carb conversion) with AN hoses and fittings,
6. Front and rear brake upgrades
7. All the other small bits
8. Clean car
9. Install some lips/GT Wing/do some "cosmetic upgrades". Stickers...need those 20kw...

10. Celebrate life

Am i in love with Hondas? What is this?

What do you guys think of this extremely long term project?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: EG Civic long run build planning.

I think you might be our first BiH member. Welcome! Roads were full of VWs when I was there ... I see you're choosing a different path.

The thing about getting a carbeureted EG is that converting it to fuel-injected is a much more difficult task than just an engine swap. I recommend waiting for a fuel-injected model comes up. And 1750 Euro is a a LOT of cash for a 20-year old car!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Big project... sounds fun and expensive! Should have great results... please keep us informed on progress. Take pictures.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by deschlong
I think you might be our first BiH member. Welcome! Roads were full of VWs when I was there ... I see you're choosing a different path.

The thing about getting a carbeureted EG is that converting it to fuel-injected is a much more difficult task than just an engine swap. I recommend waiting for a fuel-injected model comes up. And 1750 Euro is a a LOT of cash for a 20-year old car!
Thats so cool that you visited us here! Yes, there is a lot of VW here, especially MK2's. And diesels. A lot of diesels.

Doesnt matter, what is easy about this build?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:51 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your turbo selection is a bit big for your goals, but otherwise not a bad bit of work you have ahead of you. Well thought-out build threads are rare around here, let's see it happen!
Old 12-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That turbo would be great for a power goal close to 375whp.u wanna go as small as possible that will meet your hp goal and be in its efficiency range. Good luck
Old 12-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You couldn't buy it here for that price, but we have essentially rust free cars, that does help price
Old 12-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
That turbo would be great for a power goal close to 375whp.u wanna go as small as possible that will meet your hp goal and be in its efficiency range. Good luck
I can see what your trying to say here, but that info is incorrect.. The proper WG setting will keep a properly sized turbo in the efficiency zone. This is where reading compressor maps and selecting the right turbo for the build will be beneficial.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by 0Gala
Thats so cool that you visited us here! Yes, there is a lot of VW here, especially MK2's. And diesels. A lot of diesels.
Yes, I spent a week in the area around Bihać, swam in the Una river, avoided landmines, picked up a bit of Bosnian (sladoled, hvala, sobe, pivo, ...) and then a few days in Sarajevo, before heading on to the Croatian coast. It was wonderful.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
I can see what your trying to say here, but that info is incorrect.. The proper WG setting will keep a properly sized turbo in the efficiency zone. This is where reading compressor maps and selecting the right turbo for the build will be beneficial.
That's what I was getting at in simple form. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:03 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The thing about getting a carbeureted EG is that converting it to fuel-injected is a much more difficult task than just an engine swap.
Just to add this requires swapping the fuel tank and all the lines that run from the tank up to the firewall. Which is actually not that bad. The bigger issue is replacing all the wiring from the front of the car to the back.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:31 AM

^ Right. And don't forget this is a guy in Bosnia, who doesn't have access to a junkyard full of Civics at the ready. OP should consider an FI one to start off with, or else get a wrecked FI one too for parts, to make life much easier.