Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Eg civic Hatch Chassis *Eg6 vs all other eg hatchs*

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eg civic Hatch Chassis *Eg6 vs all other eg hatchs*

The eg6 has the b16 engine,,is there an difference in this chassis,was it produced any stonger,any lighter etc. or is all eg's the identical same base chassis with different engine,brakes,hubs? etc.

AM going to b16 a eg6 hatch and want to know was there any strength/weight differences,searched and have'nt found any info

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Eg civic Hatch Chassis *Eg6 vs all other eg hatchs*

This is a good question - I've always wondered about the different alpha-numeric nomenclature they give the vehicles. I KNOW that they have designate different options/engines/etc., but I wondered if the actual chassis (body and frame) was different.

For a while I thought it might be due to something as benign as a sunroof ... for example, in the EH2 vs. the EH3, the only difference in chassis design that I can think of is the presence of the sunroof on the EH3 (Si). But, there are EG6s with and without sunroofs, so that can't be it.

So, the answer is, as far as I can tell, there is no difference in chassis between all EG3/4/5/6 and EH2/3, with the exception that some will have different roof construction depending on if they have a sunroof or not.

If someone else wants to pipe in and say differently then I am all ears.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only difference is the roof structure for those with sunroof's. The EG6 came in two flavors SIR(no sunroof) and the SIRII(With sunroof) Have the brochure from honda for the Japanese lineup that states this.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:58 AM
New User

The eg6 sir/sirII both had optional sunroofs,interiors were different,i am not 100% sure both i think all Sir-S has sunroofs.

As far as i can tell EG3/4/5/6 chassis seems the same,unless there some small differences in the way the chasssis were assembled.Anybody else got any more info on these chassis??
Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Honda when the eg was released in 1991.9 The SIR-II came standard equipped with sunroof, LSD, Bronze Glass, the SIR did not. I spent a few years in Japan, never really paid much attention to the SIR-S, but the VTI also came standard with sunroof and D15B w/lsd. These are only the true JDM, the EDM and other markets got different power plant and options as well as badges(Model identifier). I can back all this up with brochure from japan at the beginning of the eg model 1991.9, stating standard equipment across all the eg lineup(SIR-II,SIR,VTI,ETI,MX,EL,etc)
But to answer your question, No difference in the chassis, aside from LHD,RHD and roof sections.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ good info
Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fully equipped Euro si (doch d16 130hp) is listed with the weight to be 1020kg

The Euro vti(pretty much the sir2) is listed to be 1068kg with the exact same options except for the b16 and sun roof and we have weighed the difference of doch d16 vs b16 to be 35kg therefore there is a matter of 13kg left and would probably say that that is due to the sunroof and we can add that NO there is no other difference in chasis, atleast not for the edm market which I should add has wayyy more safety standards and regulations then both the usdm and jdm markets