Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Civic Ferio Rear Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Civic Ferio Rear Differential?

Hey guys. I'm new on here.
I own a 94 Honda Civic Dx that I hypermile and am currently achieving 50-55 mpg city, 70 hwy!

A link to the car--------->>
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-10318.html

So, I've been wondering:

-Will a Civic Ferio rear differential and subframe bolt up to a US Civic like mine?
I'm thinking the answer is no.

Either way, have you guys seen anyone do it?
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Default Re: EG Civic Ferio Rear Differential?

Btw, I don't care about the diff being connected to the driveline.
Just whether it'll bolt up or not.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im confused unless you converted your car to rear wheel drive somehow your dx wont have a rear differential so tell us what u REALLY mean.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly.. what the hell are you trying to achieve here?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM

the ferio is still a fwd car, it has no "rear diff". Its the same as your eg, sub-frame and multi link suspension in the back.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subframes dont bolt-up in these cars... theyre welded on.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you mean diffuser? I think the VX model had a diffuser but you could make one?

A differential is used in a transmission to allow two wheels to spin at different speeds when turning so the wheels don't chirp...though that was fun doing with my old truck that had a LSD in the rear axle.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 PM

There was the Civic Ferio which came in 4wd, am I correct?
If It has 4wd, then it has a rear differential.
I've been contemplating creating an electric drive system in the rear of the vehicle.
If I could get a differential from the Civic Ferio with spindles and drive axles, I could cut a hole in the body, drive the differential with a chain and generator of sorts, powered by let's say...6 lead acid batteries or so?

I could see it working.
Creating a control system for the batteries might be challenging though.
Or a surefire kill switch for the power. :/

So that differential from the 4wd Ferio won't bolt up?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 PM

Yeah. Thinking about it, I'd also have to make some kind of clutch mechanism for the generator too so the rear diff could spin independently of the generator.
It's definitely a big undertaking.
But yeah.

That rear subframe and diff would have to be welded on?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There was a 4th gen wagovan that had 4 wheel drive, or the CRV has 4wd and you could use that.

Why not just put a electric motor in place of the gas motor?

In the future, it really helps knowing what the plan is when you ask a question like that. And as far as I know, the Ferio didn't have 4wd, but I could be wrong.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
There was a 4th gen wagovan that had 4 wheel drive, or the CRV has 4wd and you could use that.

In the future, it really helps knowing what the plan is when you ask a question like that. And as far as I know, the Ferio didn't have 4wd, but I could be wrong.
you are wrong, there was a eg civic with a dseries and some sort of 4wd setup which never made it to north america , there was also a regular ef with that setup overseas as well and the US did get the realtime EF wagons . As far as converting a usdm model you are on your own, I have no idea.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really? Ok, well I want one of those now. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM civic models were offerd with Real Time 4wd 4th 5th and 6th gen the 5th gen is the RT-SI and the 6th gen is RTI. Ive done alot of reasearch on these conversions and unless you have a coupe your better off importing an RTI or RT-SI to the states and Swapping out your vin plate with its to make it easyer to legalize. If thats not your cup of tea you can get an old Mercedes Gas tank i think its the old e class from the 80s, then the rear sub frame from either an RTi or an Orthia wagon. Then the Dif is the same as the CRV. The axles have to be from an RTi or Orthia. The trailing arms from either an RTI or Orthia are direct fit no need for extention or shortening like some people have done with the Wagovans or the CRVs. Then you have to rout your exhaust next to the drive shaft and lift the fuel lines up in the front. Its alot of work and alot of parts to find esp the rear sub frame and trailing arms. thats why its easyer and pry cheaper to just import one
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b18cKoupe
you are wrong, there was a eg civic with a dseries and some sort of 4wd setup which never made it to north america , there was also a regular ef with that setup overseas as well and the US did get the realtime EF wagons . As far as converting a usdm model you are on your own, I have no idea.
i know for a fact ther e was an all wheel drive eg civic made in 91. this was all wheel drive. i know this because i wanted to buy it. it was in new zealand. its a cool concept but i think its easyer to mock up the cr-v **** to be honest that atain all the rare hard to find stuff youd need.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by thumper64

In response:

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
JDM civic models were offerd with Real Time 4wd 4th 5th and 6th gen the 5th gen is the RT-SI and the 6th gen is RTI. Ive done alot of reasearch on these conversions and unless you have a coupe your better off importing an RTI or RT-SI to the states and Swapping out your vin plate with its to make it easyer to legalize. If thats not your cup of tea you can get an old Mercedes Gas tank i think its the old e class from the 80s, then the rear sub frame from either an RTi or an Orthia wagon. Then the Dif is the same as the CRV. The axles have to be from an RTi or Orthia. The trailing arms from either an RTI or Orthia are direct fit no need for extention or shortening like some people have done with the Wagovans or the CRVs. Then you have to rout your exhaust next to the drive shaft and lift the fuel lines up in the front. Its alot of work and alot of parts to find esp the rear sub frame and trailing arms. thats why its easyer and pry cheaper to just import one
I have a 94 DX Coupe.
Once again, all I'm trying to do is mount the rear differential, axles and spindles with no driveshaft connected to the front of the differential.
I've rerouted fuel lines in my Miata for individual throttle bodies before, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do it again.
So I'd need the rear subframe and axles to begin with.
-The OE gas tank wouldn't work?
-Now, how about the rear spindles? I don't believe my rear spindles will accept axles.

How much do these Ferio RT-Si's go for anyway?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

There's a blue one for sale in California right now. Be a shame to tear the thing apart, actually. http://www.civicforums.com/forums/19...og-exempt.html

Saw one on eBay in the fall, too. A white RTX. Can't recall what it sold for.

You'll spend a lot more on parts than you'll ever save in fuel.

I take it you want to install a rear wheel drive battery-driven thing to supplement power to the FWD engine? Otherwise, you would just go full FWD EV, no?

So, let's do some back-of-the-envelope math:

Car purchase: 7500
Let's say after you carve off the pieces you want, you part the rest of the RTSI car out for $1500.
Factor in a few bit and pieces for unknowns ... might come to $250.
Total cost, then, is $6250. I won't count labour because this is a hobby.

Based on your stats at ecomodder, you're driving 2776.7mi in about 6 mo. = 5500mi/yr, at a cost of about $260 in fuel. Best fuel economy is about 60mpg.

If after your hard labour you're able to DOUBLE the fuel economy. Meaning, now you're getting 120mpg and spending half what you used to spend in fuel ... so about $130/yr... pretty good, no?

Well, let's see how long it will take to pay off the initial investment of $6250:

Since you're SAVING $130/yr now that you've done the swap, the math look like this:
$6250/$130 = about 48. So, 48 YEARS until you see a return on your investment. It gets worse if you can't DOUBLE your current fuel economy. And that's if fuel prices stay exactly the same as right now (they won't).

The math is still pretty dreary if you cut your initial investment in half:
$3125 = 24 years
$1500 = 12 years
$750 = 6 years

... I think you know where this is going ...
Old 01-13-2010, 01:15 AM

Well, I wouldn't pay $7,500 just to cut the rear subframe and diff out of a car either...haha. That's asinine.

I also haven't been adding every single fillup I do to the site because I've been very busy lately.
But, I do drive more than 5500 mi per year.
In these winter months I've been getting about 50 mpg because I let the car warm up in the morning and before I leave work in the evening, but if I do a long highway trip I can manage about 70.

Fitting a Civic Hybrid or Insight motor in an EG sounds like a crazier idea to me than what I'm thinking. The whole harness with the high power cables in addition to trying to figure out how to fit that entire hybrid drivetrain in an older Civic? I'd rather not. haha

But honestly, cost isn't the biggest factor to me. I kind of enjoy tinkering with the car. If I was to go forth with the project, I'd probably only be doing it to say I've got a 1994 Civic Hybrid. :/
Old 01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bigtony11111111
In response:

I have a 94 DX Coupe.
Once again, all I'm trying to do is mount the rear differential, axles and spindles with no driveshaft connected to the front of the differential.
I've rerouted fuel lines in my Miata for individual throttle bodies before, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do it again.
So I'd need the rear subframe and axles to begin with.
-The OE gas tank wouldn't work?
-Now, how about the rear spindles? I don't believe my rear spindles will accept axles.

How much do these Ferio RT-Si's go for anyway?
well you will need to source spindles for the rear and the only ones that will work are from the RT-Si however purchasing an RT-Si would involve first finding one second importing it overhere. Different states have different laws. The US gov said 25 years but most cars that are available over here also dont need to follow those guide lines. Im looking in to importation my self because they simply dont make the vehicle i want over her. I want to get a Honda Orthia which is a 6th gen civic wagon also offered in 4wd. in that case all i would have to do is get a civic front end and put it on which bolts right up, showing that it will withstand the crashtest of a common 6th gen civic. California has very strict standards due to emissions but im from illinois and emission standards in my area are non existant. i talked to a police officer and he told me aslong as i can get a vin number for it and register it with insurance it will be fine.

The oE gas tank wont work because it sits to far back it will hit the differential but mainly because the driveshaft is in the way. And an RT-Si tank wont work because the frame on the RT-Si is different and the gas tank is to thick. The RT-Si has a larger hump going to the front of the car.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
well you will need to source spindles for the rear and the only ones that will work are from the RT-Si however purchasing an RT-Si would involve first finding one second importing it overhere. Different states have different laws. The US gov said 25 years but most cars that are available over here also dont need to follow those guide lines. Im looking in to importation my self because they simply dont make the vehicle i want over her. I want to get a Honda Orthia which is a 6th gen civic wagon also offered in 4wd. in that case all i would have to do is get a civic front end and put it on which bolts right up, showing that it will withstand the crashtest of a common 6th gen civic. California has very strict standards due to emissions but im from illinois and emission standards in my area are non existant. i talked to a police officer and he told me aslong as i can get a vin number for it and register it with insurance it will be fine.

The oE gas tank wont work because it sits to far back it will hit the differential but mainly because the driveshaft is in the way. And an RT-Si tank wont work because the frame on the RT-Si is different and the gas tank is to thick. The RT-Si has a larger hump going to the front of the car.
EDIT. Ill tell you what tho ive seen people put an eclips Gsx rear end up there and it worked.. here is some one used the honda rear diff but didnt even use the rear crossmember he just added it to his 2wd civic chassie. he used a fuel cell for fuel

looks like doody but it works there are vids of him on youtube doing snownuts