Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

 
Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 PM
  #1  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

Is the engine wire harness the same for cx and dx?
I have a cx and want to put in a dx motor. Do I need to repin the ecu connector if i use a dx ecu?
sleepydragon636 is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:22 PM
  #2  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 41
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

I think the DX and CX are mostly the same with the exception of the O2 sensors.
punk0mi is offline  
Old 04-18-2019, 10:06 PM
  #3  
Intelligently Stupid
 
TomCat39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,917
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

What year and is this USDM or CDM car?
TomCat39 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 03:13 AM
  #4  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
What year and is this USDM or CDM car?
1994 cx. Might be cdm. Have to check tonight.
sleepydragon636 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 07:06 AM
  #5  
Intelligently Stupid
 
TomCat39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,917
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

Originally Posted by sleepydragon636 View Post
1994 cx. Might be cdm. Have to check tonight.
If you have daytime running lights it's CDM. MFG doesn't mean anything as most USDM cars were made in Canada.

The USDM CX and DX is a touch different, like previous poster mentioned, I believe they have different O2 sensors. I think the USDM B8 (CX) may have had the 1 wire O2 while the DX has the 4 wire.
Also another change in the harnesses is the CX may have had a firewall mounted MAP sensor while the DX uses the throttle body MAP sensor. This changes the engine Harness a touch as well as the tower plugs.
TomCat39 is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 07:08 AM
  #6  
DaX
Honda-Tech Member
iTrader: (1)
 
DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,633
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

I can confirm that for a 92 year model the CX has the 1-wire o2, the DX has the 4-wire o2, and the VX has the 5-wire o2.
DaX is offline  
Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM
  #7  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The South - Roll Tide !!!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

Originally Posted by TomCat39 View Post
If you have daytime running lights it's CDM. MFG doesn't mean anything as most USDM cars were made in Canada.

The USDM CX and DX is a touch different, like previous poster mentioned, I believe they have different O2 sensors. I think the USDM B8 (CX) may have had the 1 wire O2 while the DX has the 4 wire.
Also another change in the harnesses is the CX may have had a firewall mounted MAP sensor while the DX uses the throttle body MAP sensor. This changes the engine Harness a touch as well as the tower plugs.
Originally Posted by DaX View Post
I can confirm that for a 92 year model the CX has the 1-wire o2, the DX has the 4-wire o2, and the VX has the 5-wire o2.
All correct information by these two fine members.
JRCivic1 is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 AM
  #8  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

I believe only the 93 dx had the cabin mounted map sensor, not the cx.
wurmhole is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 03:34 AM
  #9  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

So, Can i use a dx engine wire harness and plug it into the the car wire harness will it work? are the wires pre installed into the body wire harness so i dont have to repin the ecm?
sleepydragon636 is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 06:23 AM
  #10  
Intelligently Stupid
 
TomCat39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,917
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

Originally Posted by wurmhole View Post
I believe only the 93 dx had the cabin mounted map sensor, not the cx.
Checking hondapartsnow.com the 92 4D DX also shows the map sensor on the firewall. So it seems to spand a few years in the US and might be model specific. The 92 3D CX shows it on the throttle body. When it's on the firewall, the part number isn't in the list under throttle body and instead you will find under the electrical/exhaust/heater/fuel a section called device control and it shows and lists the map sensor, mounting bracket and tubing needed to connect to the throttle body.

Originally Posted by sleepydragon636 View Post
So, Can i use a dx engine wire harness and plug it into the the car wire harness will it work? are the wires pre installed into the body wire harness so i dont have to repin the ecm?
You never stated the year of your car. Or the year the donor harness is coming from.

Last edited by TomCat39; 04-20-2019 at 07:07 AM.
TomCat39 is offline  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:48 PM
  #11  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The South - Roll Tide !!!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

All '92 Civics had the same wiring between the ECU and the passenger side shock tower, so you can essentially plug in any '92-95 Civic engine harness and not have to wire up VTEC or a 4-wire O2 sensor. You MAY have to deal with the MAP sensor wiring, so simply trace back the three wires from the MAP sensor of the engine harness to the shock tower plug. If the opposing chassis plug has three brown rubber plugs in it instead of wires, you will need to use the MAP sensor wiring that is mounted on the firewall. You can either move those wires to the chassis plug to match up with the engine harness OR use what is on the firewall and run a vacuum line to it OR plug the firewall MAP wiring directly into the MAP sensor on top of the throttle body.
JRCivic1 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 AM
  #12  
Honda-Tech Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Eg civic engine wire harness the same for cx/dx?

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
All '92 Civics had the same wiring between the ECU and the passenger side shock tower, so you can essentially plug in any '92-95 Civic engine harness and not have to wire up VTEC or a 4-wire O2 sensor. You MAY have to deal with the MAP sensor wiring, so simply trace back the three wires from the MAP sensor of the engine harness to the shock tower plug. If the opposing chassis plug has three brown rubber plugs in it instead of wires, you will need to use the MAP sensor wiring that is mounted on the firewall. You can either move those wires to the chassis plug to match up with the engine harness OR use what is on the firewall and run a vacuum line to it OR plug the firewall MAP wiring directly into the MAP sensor on top of the throttle body.
Thank you. That is exactly what i wanted to know.
sleepydragon636 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: