Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Eg city light wiring question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eg city light wiring question..

ihave the sockets and all the wire made my me. i was wondering can i tap it in the fuse box, in one of the location like where you put one plug for the oem fog light? so I them to come on everytime I turn on my key to achieve the oem way to do this..
Old 08-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump bec i gonna tap in the fuse box so it'll come on everytime i turn the car on @!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkipMic2006)

city lights are really dim..i wouldnt want them on all the time..you wont even be able to see them in the day lol
if i were you id just wire them up to your corner lights so when you turn on your postion lights..they come on
Old 08-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RARE_EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RARE_EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">city lights are really dim..i wouldnt want them on all the time..you wont even be able to see them in the day lol
if i were you id just wire them up to your corner lights so when you turn on your postion lights..they come on</TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty much !!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm puttin in a higher wattage bulbs tho ... so bright at night
Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Eg city light wiring question.. (SkipMic2006)

Yes, you can tap the fuse box.

You can use a female spade connector and plug it into the middle slot.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Eg city light wiring question.. (BlueIntegraBoy)

Search this. There was a topic like this a couple weeks ago I remember that covered the correct OEM way to wire these up.

Something like,
City lights come on instead of corner lights. Corner lights turn into blinkers "only" along with the fender side markers which are blinkers only.

So if you had headlights on then the city lights would be on and that is it. Then when you use blinker the corner light and fender light would blink.

Hope this helps you to keep things the way the factory designed them.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:49 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Eg city light wiring question.. (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Search this. There was a topic like this a couple weeks ago I remember that covered the correct OEM way to wire these up.

Something like,
City lights come on instead of corner lights. Corner lights turn into blinkers "only" along with the fender side markers which are blinkers only.

So if you had headlights on then the city lights would be on and that is it. Then when you use blinker the corner light and fender light would blink.

Hope this helps you to keep things the way the factory designed them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, this is the correct "OEM" way to have them wired up. It sounds as if the original poster is looking for something like daytime running lights, which are much brighter than city lights and come on with the ignition. If, for some reason, he wants the city lights to be on whenever the car is running, it's a pretty simple matter to tap them into an ignition-switched 12V source.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eg city light wiring question.. (Padawan)

I agree. But yeah better off getting cheap fog lights or something brighter and tapping them on when ignition is on.

Daytime running lights
Old 08-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i went to easy way to do it,i just tap them to my corner lights
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 AM

yeah same hear i taped mine into the corner lights

Modified by cashshoes at 3:53 PM 8/28/2006
Old 08-28-2006, 11:44 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Raybrig Hyper-Yellow 194 bulbs for my citylights:

I wired mine up "JDM" style. For my positive lead, I tapped power from my turn signals. For my negative lead, I tapped low-beam power from my headlights.

This acts as a double-positive ground. When the headlights are off, the citylights are on, and vise-versa.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use Raybrig Hyper-Yellow 194 bulbs for my citylights:

I wired mine up "JDM" style. For my positive lead, I tapped power from my turn signals. For my negative lead, I tapped low-beam power from my headlights.

This acts as a double-positive ground. When the headlights are off, the citylights are on, and vise-versa.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Interesting.... I will have to take a look at that. Looks like a good idea.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks good at night and the socket was put in the right place to give it a good shine at night
Old 08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wired mine up "JDM" style. For my positive lead, I tapped power from my turn signals. For my negative lead, I tapped low-beam power from my headlights.

This acts as a double-positive ground. When the headlights are off, the citylights are on, and vise-versa.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This isn't "JDM-style", assuming you're referring to the OEM JDM setup. On Japanese cars, the city lights are lit any time the headlight switch is turned to the first or second click. You can easily match the OEM setup by wiring the city lights into the parking light wires, and changing the dual-filament sockets/bulbs in the corner lamps to single-filament bulbs that function solely as turn signals and hazard lights.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:05 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Padawan)

Yeah, but if I did true "JDM" style ... I'd be pulled over by every cop that passed me at night.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, but if I did true "JDM" style ... I'd be pulled over by every cop that passed me at night.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I suppose that depends upon law enforcement personnel your area, since it's true that the lighting configuration doesn't completely conform to US regulations. However, it also helps to use the proper clear wedge bulbs rather than colored ones.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:26 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I suppose that depends upon law enforcement personnel your area, since it's true that the lighting configuration doesn't completely conform to US regulations. However, it also helps to use the proper clear wedge bulbs rather than colored ones. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cops here don't care about yellow lighting (I've read and reread the laws, and asked law enforcement officials), but my friend who had a 92-95 wired his corners up so they only blinked, and he got in some major **** for not having propper running lights. I'm sure if I put amber wedges in my city lights, and blanked my corners, I'd get away with it, but I'm happy with how it looks now.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone put up a diagram to wire up the city lights to come on as parking lights opposed to the corners? This sounds really interesting and i'd like to try it
Old 08-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: (Deity4Life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deity4Life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can someone put up a diagram to wire up the city lights to come on as parking lights opposed to the corners? This sounds really interesting and i'd like to try it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Simply connect the positive lead of the city lights to the positive lead of the parking lights, and ground the negative lead. No need for a diagram.