Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG Build Ground Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG Build Ground Up

Hey everyone. I'm here looking for any advice or opinions to help me with a build I'm beginning to start. Links and prices would be appreciated as somethings are just hard to find.
1994 Honda Del Sol Si
All STOCK
Looking to refresh it tuner wise. Suspension to engine.
I live in Cali and would like to make it a street legal car.
Keeping in mind I have about 30k to spend to do all this.
All the work will be done by my team and myself. Labor won't be factored in.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EG Build Ground Up

30k wothout amy labor fees? Wow... This should be an interrsting build
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MySickSi
30k wothout amy labor fees? Wow... This should be an interrsting build
We'll just have to see. Looking for any links or prices that would fit my budget. First priority of the car is suspension and gunna aim to do polyurethane bushings all the way around.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:03 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cjlarson14
Hey everyone. I'm here looking for any advice or opinions to help me with a build I'm beginning to start. Links and prices would be appreciated as somethings are just hard to find.
1994 Honda Del Sol Si
All STOCK
Looking to refresh it tuner wise. Suspension to engine.
I live in Cali and would like to make it a street legal car.
Keeping in mind I have about 30k to spend to do all this.
All the work will be done by my team and myself. Labor won't be factored in.
$30k? Are you nuts? Is this a show car or company advertisement or something?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

$30K? Sounds like a pipe dream and I seriously doubt that is a real budget. It has nothing of thought, planning or substance behind it.

If you have that much to spend then don't even bother posting your question here. Take it to a reputable speed shop and let them build whatever they advise because if you really have a "team" then between you and your "team" (to be read "my bois") I don't understand why you people don't have any type of plan beyond it being street legal. Why are you even IN here with this nonsense?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
$30K? Sounds like a pipe dream and I seriously doubt that is a real budget. It has nothing of thought, planning or substance behind it.

If you have that much to spend then don't even bother posting your question here. Take it to a reputable speed shop and let them build whatever they advise because if you really have a "team" then between you and your "team" (to be read "my bois") I don't understand why you people don't have any type of plan beyond it being street legal. Why are you even IN here with this nonsense?
1. I do have this much to spend.
2. I do work myself and don't trust any other mechanic. Too many scandalous people out there willing to rip you off in a hurry regardless of if there reputable or not IMO.
3. I came here asking questions on what people know towards reliable, powerful, street legal internals, along with anything else of the sort. What people have had experience with (good or bad).
Input is what I was asking for. $30k is not much to be thrown into a car if you really thought about it. It's just a daily driver street legal car that I can have some fun with for the next 5-10 years so to speak. Practically like buying a new car without all the interest and BS behind it.

If you have any links or opinions towards any engine mods over stock or stock over mods it would be appreciated. Might be a bit of a pipe dream but thinking of trying an AWD setup with the engine in the rear as I've seen someone do with a RWD setup.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have any opinions for Tein or GC for Coilovers? I've tried Tein on a friends mazda and it was a bit rough of the streets here in Cali. Feelin every dam bump and if a pothole was hit.... bam! F'ed those up. Only have had experience with GC springs and they seem very good. Advice and opinions?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow I definitely want to see the end product of this! 30k? I'd dump that into something newer than a sol!(not a sol hater, I own one) Pump that into a STi or Evo X
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pickup918
Wow I definitely want to see the end product of this! 30k? I'd dump that into something newer than a sol!(not a sol hater, I own one) Pump that into a STi or Evo X
I will post pictures of the shell and suspension put in when I get it ordered and done. For now it's just sitting as a shell in my garage. STi or Evo would be a good choice but how much to buy one of those right now? The Del Sol cost me 1500. Cheap. Clean Title. Engine Problems all it had. Head Gasket leak but I inted to rebuild the motor anyways. Evo or Sti woulda costed me 10 to 15 times as much as that. I like Honda too much to get rid of them so easily :D
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

If you haven't bought a house or invested in real estate already (not a McMansion), then do that first before dumping your money down a vehicle black hole. You won't regret it. Set aside a bit for the car, though, to feed the hunger.

If money is no object, then go to town, man.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PLEASE!!!...OH PLEASE!!!!

BUY A VEILSIDE KIT FOR THIS!!!. With your massive budget I would love to see this car transfored into something abit more streamlined.

I've grown a strong attachment to this car and would love to see this comparable to a RX-7 Veilside kit.

Wish you the best of luck with this bro. But you'll really need to narrow down what build you want exactly.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drop a K24 block with a K20 head and boost that baby.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
If you haven't bought a house or invested in real estate already (not a McMansion), then do that first before dumping your money down a vehicle black hole. You won't regret it. Set aside a bit for the car, though, to feed the hunger.

If money is no object, then go to town, man.
Voice of reason ehh.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow. 30k.

First of all, I agree with you that I'd rather buy and build an old cheap car to have fun and daily drive in than a brand new car.
It's more fun, and makes more economical sense. Especially since a Del Sol S 1.5L gets about 36mpg, more than many modern cars costing 10x+ as much.

However, dumping $30k into said old car is just foolish.
There are only 3 scenarios I can think of that would make this acceptable to me:

- You are a millionaire
- You own a shop and need a demo car to promote your business
- You are a professional race car driver

None of these are apparently the case.

Consider these points before you flush $30k down the drain:

- Your car will very likely get stolen if it's really going to be a daily driver
- You will not get even a quarter of that $30k back after 5-10 years.
- $30k can go towards MANY more sensible financial investments.

Sure, a $30k souped up Del Sol would be very fun. But ask yourself, is it $30k worth of fun for a grocery getter? I have TONS of fun when I drive around my old 80hp Miata.
But anyway, to kind of get back on topic. With $30k lying around, do you really want to trust random opinions on the internet? Sorry, this is so insane to me haha.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmai86
Wow. 30k.

First of all, I agree with you that I'd rather buy and build an old cheap car to have fun and daily drive in than a brand new car.
It's more fun, and makes more economical sense. Especially since a Del Sol S 1.5L gets about 36mpg, more than many modern cars costing 10x+ as much.

There are only 2 scenerios I can think of that would make this acceptable to me:

- You are a millionaire

Both of these are apparently not the case.

- Your car will very likely get stolen if it's really going to be a daily driver
- You will not get half of that $30k back after 5-10 years.

But anyway, to kind of get back on topic. With $30k lying around, do you really want to trust random opinions on the internet? Sorry, this is so insane to me haha.
Yes, this is all logic.

But at the end of the day its just money, and it can't get you anything in the afterlife.

I fully support this.

Bro make this a Veilside Del Sol!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. I'm not a millionaire.
2. I do run my own business but not a shop.
3. I just want something unique that other people don't necessarily have like all the civics here in Cali. Look pretty identical. Lowered, Hids, but they're all just STOCK. Nothing special. Oh! And the huge can out the back of them.
4. I did NOT come here to discuss how my money should be spent all though, I appreciate what people have to say. Stay on topic plz.
5. Not in my right mind would I Veilside the Del Sol. No offence to it or you habanero, but Fast and the Furious came out when??? 12 years ago? I think that time has come and gone with body kits.

Anyways back to topic. Does anyone have any advice or opinion towards great street/race coilovers that would work exceptional here in Cali? My friend suggested Blox coilovers, but I've never had much like for them. Still suggesting GC (Ground Control).
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jmai86
Wow. 30k.

There are only 3 scenarios I can think of that would make this acceptable to me:

- You are a millionaire
- You are a professional race car driver

None of these are apparently the case.

- You will not get even a quarter of that $30k back after 5-10 years.

Sure, a $30k souped up Del Sol would be very fun. But ask yourself, is it $30k worth of fun for a grocery getter? I have TONS of fun when I drive around my old 80hp Miata.
Sure I could do all that or whatever, but I'm not and have enough investments. I'm asking for opinions about products and prices or things people have encountered to watch out for, etc. Advice is also a nice thing, but not about how to spend my money.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

30k? why not just buy a CTS-V or something in that nature
Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by that_boy_sammy
30k? why not just buy a CTS-V or something in that nature
As I've said. I'm set on spending it for this cause and nothing else. Would like opinions and advice with the car.... not how the money should be spent.
Thank You.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just my opinion buy a true jdm del sol i think it would be much more unique than what ou are describing. then just do your basic mods that is just if i had that kind of cash to throw around lol
Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone have any opinions for Tein or GC for Coilovers? I've tried Tein on a friends mazda and it was a bit rough of the streets here in Cali. Feelin every dam bump and if a pothole was hit.... bam! F'ed those up. Only have had experience with GC springs and they seem very good. Advice and opinions?
With your budget you're aiming REALLY low by even thinking of GC and/or Tein. Besides Tein has a loooot of different offerings - which ones are you looking at?

Last edited by B18C5-EH2; 02-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
With your budget you're aiming REALLY low by even thinking of GC and/or Tein. Besides Tein has a loooot of different offerings 0 which ones are you looking at?

Well then what would you suggest? GC and Tein go easily for $2k?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd look into strengthening the chassis.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then what would you suggest? GC and Tein go easily for $2k?
for your budget, you could probably spend nearly a third of that budget of yours and go for a Moton suspension setup for your vehicle, i think that's what he's getting at instead of looking at the budget solutions

30k will probably build you a pretty amazing delsol with some really nice parts and paint.

if i were in your shoes, i'd probably try to narrow down where you want to spend the money first.

decide what kind of motor you want to build and how far you want to build it.

i personally run the Hardrace rubber bushing kit and prefer it over the poly ones (my climate isn't so friendly for the poly ones).

Last edited by Mashimaro; 02-15-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AMR suspension

Quick Reply: EG Build Ground Up