Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EG automatic into EK automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG automatic into EK automatic

I have a 97 sedan that's the wifes, and the auto tranny is shifting all screwed up. It's slow upshifting between gears and slips sometimes. Some solenoid or vacuum valve is probably screwed up. I've pulled the shaft speed sensor plug it seems to shift harder and slips less-to buy me some time...but I have a CEL for it too. Anyway it's the electronic one, and I have a couple of JDM EG auto trannys sitting around. They both have the two solenoids right by the motor serial number area, but the EG version is cable kickdown and void of all the electronic ****. If I installed the EG tranny and left all the extra plugs hang, any reason it wouldn't work?
I realize I will still have the CEL but the engine still rev's normally and is getting 36mpg as is, I just have to drive like grandma or it misshifts and slips.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: EG automatic into EK automatic

As you're already aware its gonna throw at least one CEL, maybe a couple, so god knows how its going to work. I can't see it working properly and I can't see it being worth the time and effort to screw around with it to try to make it work, '96 - '00 trannys must be cheap and easy to find by now.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may have to resort to a used USDM one, but it'd be nice to use the one I have. I much prefer the EG series automatic. Problem is even the JDM EK's still had EG series auto's on the D-series, all the EK engines I imported still have mechanical kickdown cables on them. I'm thinking of unpluging all the wires except the two solenoids and see what happens, if it still works maybe I'll go for it. Otherwise maybe I'll post a wtb ad on here for another one.

"Bacon Tendercrisp chicken, the most powerful sandwich in its class"
Btw I thought that was a funny *** commercial, only ran for a day or two though..
Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rkcarguy
I may have to resort to a used USDM one, but it'd be nice to use the one I have. I much prefer the EG series automatic. Problem is even the JDM EK's still had EG series auto's on the D-series, all the EK engines I imported still have mechanical kickdown cables on them. I'm thinking of unpluging all the wires except the two solenoids and see what happens, if it still works maybe I'll go for it. Otherwise maybe I'll post a wtb ad on here for another one.
Its been my (limited) expirience that the M24A '92 - '94 automatic trannys seem to shift better and take more abuse than the '95 A24As and the '96 - '00 trannys, interesting that the JDM EK automatics retained the kickdown cable.

Originally Posted by rkcarguy
"Bacon Tendercrisp chicken, the most powerful sandwich in its class"
Btw I thought that was a funny *** commercial, only ran for a day or two though..
I knew I didn't dream that commercial, up until now no one else seemed to have seen it, I was starting to wonder if I dreamt the whole thing.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EG automatics are partially electronically controlled. EK's are fully electronic. It's a no-go.