Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Eg AC evaporator O ring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eg AC evaporator O ring question

I recently replaced my expansion valve and changed the o rings going to the evaporator, but when I tried to charge the a/c it wouldn't hold a vacuum, turns out its leaking from the same orings I just replaced, so I was wondering if anyone had a leak here before also, can you change the o rings from the firewall side instead of the evaporator side?
Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Eg AC evaporator O ring question

When you replaced the Expansion Valve, did you put the two new O-Rings that came with it in place? Just checking, sometimes simple things can get overlooked. Make sure the Hi and Lo lines that bolt to the Evaporator at the Firewall are flush with the Evaporator when the bolts are tightened down. And yes you can change the O-Rings from the engine bay side without having to pull the Evap. if that's what your asking. Just unbolt the battery tray, disconnect the lines and replace the O-Rings on the hoses.

Are you positive this is the point of the leak? Make sure the recessed O-Rings are still in place on your Hi and Lo hook ups from the Vacuum Manifold.

I just vacuumed down my A/C system yesterday evening and had a Vacuum leak. Turns out the O-Ring in my Hi side hook up from the manifold was missing which was letting air back in.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I took the car to a shop and they said thats where it was leaking. I did put on the orings to the expansion valve. I'm not entirely sure if this the reason but looking at the parts diagram for the a/c lines it turns out that the larger O-ring is an 8mm but the set that I bought contains an 8.8mm and so I have been looking for an 8mm but can't find one unless its from the dealership. Did you use OEM orings? I find it odd that the OEM ones are black and not green.

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
When you replaced the Expansion Valve, did you put the two new O-Rings that came with it in place? Just checking, sometimes simple things can get overlooked. Make sure the Hi and Lo lines that bolt to the Evaporator at the Firewall are flush with the Evaporator when the bolts are tightened down. And yes you can change the O-Rings from the engine bay side without having to pull the Evap. if that's what your asking. Just unbolt the battery tray, disconnect the lines and replace the O-Rings on the hoses.

Are you positive this is the point of the leak? Make sure the recessed O-Rings are still in place on your Hi and Lo hook ups from the Vacuum Manifold.

I just vacuumed down my A/C system yesterday evening and had a Vacuum leak. Turns out the O-Ring in my Hi side hook up from the manifold was missing which was letting air back in.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by s13hero
Thanks, I took the car to a shop and they said thats where it was leaking. I did put on the orings to the expansion valve. I'm not entirely sure if this the reason but looking at the parts diagram for the a/c lines it turns out that the larger O-ring is an 8mm but the set that I bought contains an 8.8mm and so I have been looking for an 8mm but can't find one unless its from the dealership. Did you use OEM orings? I find it odd that the OEM ones are black and not green.
I bought my new Expansion Valve and Drier from Advanced Auto Parts and also got my O-Ring kit there. They were green and everything fit fine. I have no leaks in my system using the green O-Rings from Advance. Maybe some wrong sizes got mixed up in your kit. I pulled out all my original R12 A/C Components and bought all R134a parts from a wrecked a 95 Civic so I got an O-Ring kit made for a 95 Civic, it had some extras in it that I didn't need to use. It was $9.99 from Advance IIRC.

Is your system still leaking?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my new Expansion Valve and Drier from Advanced Auto Parts and also got my O-Ring kit there. They were green and everything fit fine. I have no leaks in my system using the green O-Rings from Advance. Maybe some wrong sizes got mixed up in your kit. I pulled out all my original R12 A/C Components and bought all R134a parts from a wrecked a 95 Civic so I got an O-Ring kit made for a 95 Civic, it had some extras in it that I didn't need to use. It was $9.99 from Advance IIRC.

Is your system still leaking?
Yes as of right now it is still leaking because I have not replaced the o-ring, unfortunately we do not have Advance here, I'm going to look a few other places and see if I can find a kit.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by s13hero
Yes as of right now it is still leaking because I have not replaced the o-ring, unfortunately we do not have Advance here, I'm going to look a few other places and see if I can find a kit.
Ok, see what you can find, I still have some O-Rings left in that kit since it had extras. I will look tomorrow and see if any of the ones left are 8mm in diameter, If so and you can't find any cheap I will mail them to you to get your A/C back in business. I'll check tomorrow and respond once I see what sizes I have left.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, see what you can find, I still have some O-Rings left in that kit since it had extras. I will look tomorrow and see if any of the ones left are 8mm in diameter, If so and you can't find any cheap I will mail them to you to get your A/C back in business. I'll check tomorrow and respond once I see what sizes I have left.
Thanks, but I managed to get the leak fixed, still seem to have some other problems to solve but no more leaks