Old 08-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The effects of downshifting

Modified by CardDealer at 4:45 PM 11/16/2006
Old 08-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The effects of downshifting (schlit)

I vote for B. Im too lazy to downshift through the gears because it seems like a waste of time when I could just press the brake pedal and get the same results.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good question bump for u.. imo i would say that downshifting going threw the gears is good for your brakes, but at the same time i would think does at wear and tear to your tranny
Old 08-07-2005, 08:14 AM

Default Re: The effects of downshifting (jayare05)

I'd say B, I would think It would be cheaper to change brake pads then have tranny problems.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The effects of downshifting (Civiapt)

yeah i never really downshift unless im on a long *** highway by myself pulling up to a light.. i have alot of friends that do it all the time i guess diff people have diff opinions
Old 08-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: The effects of downshifting (jayare05)

i do B, i believe A is called engine braking? heres what it says in my owners manual

"When slowing down, you can get extra braking from the engine by shifting to a lower gear. This extra braking can help you maintain a safe speed and prevent your brakes from overheating whle going down steep hill."( 1997 civic owners manual pg. 102)

how much can it really wear your syncros?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Electrician

When I know I'm coming to a stop, I always place it in Neutral way before. When I know I'm going to slow down but not to a complete stop, I downshift to an appropriate gear.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

traffic = brake for me
when taking a sharp turn at a fast rate of speed I downshift going into the turn so that I have enough torque and can kepe the RPMs high enough to come flying out of the corner.

Heel-Toe ;-)
Old 08-07-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: (loud3nergy)

for me... i heel-toe downshift whenever coming to a stop... it wont hurt your transmission all that much... i had a 1987 car that lasted through 2004 (and it wasnt the transmission that gave out)... and i heel-toe downshifted that car all the time...

there are a number of reasons why i do it... slow the car down more... esp when going downhill... dont have to wear out the brakes or anything... and so that its always in gear so that if soemone behind me isnt stopping or something or the light turns green, i can just step on the gas and go... where if you leave it in neutral or whatever... youll have to take that extra time to put it back in gear and get your power back...

so far ive had zero problems with transmissions going out from downshifting through the gears over a long period and a ton of different makes of cars
Old 08-07-2005, 09:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In another thread a topic came up about downshifting with a manual transmission.

If you're coming to a stop (stopsign, stoplight, etc), would you:

A. downshift through the gears
B. just hold out in the current gear as long as possible and then shift to neutral.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A, unless it's late at night in my neighborhood, i try to be quiet.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The one main negative effect I saw was that downshifting for every stop is going to double the wear and tear on your transmission syncros. ie, you use them to shift through gears while accelerating up to speed, and now you'd use them through the entire stopping process.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's really not that big of a deal if you revmatch correctly. if you get it perfect, the syncros do nothing, everything is already synched up nicely
Old 08-07-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

Default Re: The effects of downshifting (The Internet Tough Guy)

Modified by CardDealer at 4:45 PM 11/16/2006
Old 08-07-2005, 10:45 AM

heel-toe all day all night to slow down for a turn or stop baby
Old 08-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (orestar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deemeetree &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I know I'm coming to a stop, I always place it in Neutral way before. When I know I'm going to slow down but not to a complete stop, I downshift to an appropriate gear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i concur. you guys make stopping too big of a deal... heal toe for a stop light?... you guys must REALLY like to drive, hahaha
Old 08-07-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Re: (ADVAN EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ADVAN EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i concur. you guys make stopping too big of a deal... heal toe for a stop light?... you guys must REALLY like to drive, hahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>

its the same way as driving a car... at first you spend time learning how to shift and paying attention to what youre doing, but after driving for so long its just natural... you dont tell yourself to shift, you dont think about it... you just do it instinctivly... well same way with heel-toe... if you do it long enough its just nature to do it... i dont come up to a light and plan on heel-toeing it... i see a redlight and all i think about is stopping... my hands and feet do all the work on their own, hehe
Old 08-07-2005, 12:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not too sure that is correct...... how does your input shaft speed up when you shift into the lower gear? ... That's what the syncro does, it syncs the input shaft to the output shaft for the gear you're going into. So just because your clutch engagement is smooth doesnt mean you didnt use the syncro. In most cases when downshifting, you're engaging the clutch at a high RPM, meaning you're really making the syncro work to get that input shaft up to speed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly that's why you double clutch as well
Old 08-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think it has that much effect and in the long run would be your clutch. The only thing i could think of messing up your synchros when u race when shifting from 3-2nd or 5-3rd gear etc. or maybe your short shifter has a lot to do with it but thats besides the point.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:24 PM

in the beginning, i thought driving stick was fun. auto has nothing to compare with stick in terms of being boring. after driving for 6 months, i started to get bored so i needed something to entertain me again.

learning how to heel-toe changed everything when driving stick. you will never get bored because everytime you drive, you will want to perfect your technique.

i have only been driving for a little over a year and i have pretty much perfected heel toe on my stock 95 cx. if only my gearing was setup right for heel-toe but its cool. my friends thought i was crazy with all the footwork and handwork.

heel-toe &gt; manual &gt; auto
Old 08-07-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: (orestar)

how does the heel-toe method work exactly? it sounds inticing
Old 08-07-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: (natoriousbao)

yeah what the hell is heel toe? Also how do u "double clutch" i always hear about it in school with all these rice racers and crap.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: (explictness)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by explictness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah what the hell is heel toe? Also how do u "double clutch" i always hear about it in school with all these rice racers and crap. </TD></TR></TABLE>
https://honda-tech.com/zero...53319
Old 08-07-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (The Internet Tough Guy)

im a down shift guy, and anyone that says "double clutching" watches The Fast and The Furious way too much! you needed to clutch in and out of gears "double clutching" back in the day before synchro-mesh technology, otherwise it would grind between gears, synchros allow us to only have to clutch once during a gear change . Double clutching now would just make you slower and decrese shifting precision and timing
Old 08-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (96CivicBoostCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CivicBoostCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Double clutching now would just make you slower and decrese shifting precision and timing</TD></TR></TABLE>

not if you're good at it, and it prolongs the life of your synchros. if you read that stuff in the link i posted above you'd know that.

"The synchromesh are usually adequate intermediate shaft control when down shifting one or two gears. Aggressive downshifts (like a 5 2 shift from high speed) can benefit by using double clutch shifting to assist the synchro's. Shifting into first gear in a hard corner is nearly impossible without double clutching (this is useful for those really tight hairpins, especially if they exit uphill)."
Old 08-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure downshifting with revmatching is not bad for the transmission. of course, getting to revmatch perfectly takes practice and time, but once u can do it, i heard it doesnt wear out your synchros.

people who downshift without revmatching are idiots.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (killaj12)

brake pads are easier to replace than clutches. Just put it in neutral. Also, unless you are very good at it you will stretch out your t-belt and lower your performance downshifting constantly.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The effects of downshifting (Slow EJ8)

If you do shift into neutral then you are starving your trans of oil, i read that in a thread that had this topic in the GDD section of ht, i still go into neutral but the thread said it can cause your trany to lock up because its starved of oil, i just dont coast in neutral for a long period of time

Quick Reply: The effects of downshifting