Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Effect of Automatic transmissions on 0-60 times?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Effect of Automatic transmissions on 0-60 times?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...pup/index.html

According to motor trend's 0-60mph test on a Civic EX from 1996, it gets 10.8 seconds, though they're using an automatic transmission. So now I'm wondering, on a bone stock Civic EX with the MANUAL transmission, how are the 0-60 times? Does anyone have a list of 0-60 times, possibly comparing the Automatic versions with the manual versions? The only site that I know of is this:http://www.zeroto60times.com/Honda-V...mph-Times.html but it doesn't say whether it's manual or automatic and judging by some of the numbers listed, they're for the automatic, yet it doesn't mention that.

I mostly want to prove to people how much more efficient a manual transmission is and how going manual can not only improve fuel efficiency but performance as well.

Last edited by imzjustplayin; 11-25-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Effect of Automatic transmissions on 0-60 times?

Originally Posted by imzjustplayin

I mostly want to prove to people how much more efficient a manual transmission is and how going manual can not only improve fuel efficiency but performance as well.
Just tell them that you can shift a manual where you want for instance 2500-3000 rpms vs the 3000-4000 rpms an auto would shift at. Not sure it would make a huge difference but the auto trans is like 50lbs heavier (very rough estimate).
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by itsnotfast
Just tell them that you can shift a manual where you want for instance 2500-3000 rpms vs the 3000-4000 rpms an auto would shift at. Not sure it would make a huge difference but the auto trans is like 50lbs heavier (very rough estimate).
That's not a valid argument because you can cause the engine to upshift earlier by easing up on the throttle when you've made it past a certain speed for a given gear.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you look at the gear ratios from an auto vs manual, the manual seems to have shorter gears all around (for an ex auto and manual i believe)
plus you have the awesome fifth gear, can hold more power than the automatic, and you can produce faster shifts if you shifted manually
Old 11-24-2009, 05:26 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

I've heard it's in the low 8 second range for the 96-00 EX manual, which fits my recollection from when I was stock.

Trust me, it's a big difference. Have you ever driven an automagic Civic? It's painful.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

auto isnt that bad unless ur hyper and need to changes gears,but im jus cruizing,im out of manauls,so much effort,and 3hrs stop go traffic got boring for me,yes ther more effective in most parts,but autos are consistant,research the turbo autos on this forum,low boosted setups ar in the easy 14 secs
Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spawn_616
auto isnt that bad unless ur hyper and need to changes gears,but im jus cruizing,im out of manauls,so much effort,and 3hrs stop go traffic got boring for me,yes ther more effective in most parts,but autos are consistant,research the turbo autos on this forum,low boosted setups ar in the easy 14 secs
I feel like boosting a car to get into the 14s is kind of a waste of money. As far as the stop and go traffic, I see your point but I find that having to stay on the brake pedal is just as annoying as clutching. I have autos and manuals and I personally hate the auto but that just my opinion.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this website has the info you are looking for i think. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...vs-auto-ov.htm
Old 11-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not turboing my car to get a quick time,im doin it to enjoy my car,i left foot brake in traf wen my rite gets tired,hows thatfor multitasking!honda autos 3rd is long,which mite be perfect for those lonely highway sprints(yes u can build manual box like that to,argument could go on forever) and its sleeper,none of those rich pansy *** gti boys will no it turbo till i stop and wait for them so i can tell them its auto,and then turbo
Old 11-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^Either way the gti is gonna smash on you in an auto.

I also agree if your gonna turbo to run 14's its a waste of time

What turbo do you have? What are you tuning on?
Old 11-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo auto ftw
Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbomatic is fun as ****!!! I did it before on a d15b7 and the results are pure amazing. spend the money for a beefed up tci torque converter though.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbomatic? really?

I can understand automatic for comfort, but if you're going to put time and effort/money into your car, get a manual... it's so much more fun
Old 11-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seriously, i picked up a new greddy turbo kit for $1250 and put it on a d16z6 that was running on a p06 ecu ( no vtec and lower redline) the car was fun as heck, my 94 civic lx4dr was neck to neck with a new 07 tsx. I think thats pretty quick for the set up i had. Oh, my torque converter was slipping for sure, but it was still fun and when not on the gas hard, the car shifted seamlessly with the turbo continually spooling every gear!!! I sold the car with the turbo off and I am searching for a cheap automatic civic again, this time I want vtec and front mount with a boost controller, going 12-15 psi on that little greddy turbo cause i picked up a brand new tci torque converter and hopefully I can really surprise ppl with the sleeper... lol (smoked you with both hand on the steering wheel) hahahahaha
Old 11-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
turbomatic? really?

I can understand automatic for comfort, but if you're going to put time and effort/money into your car, get a manual... it's so much more fun
Automatic for comfort? tell that to my IsF lol
Old 11-26-2009, 09:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by B16aEk4drbeater
seriously, i picked up a new greddy turbo kit for $1250 and put it on a d16z6 that was running on a p06 ecu ( no vtec and lower redline) the car was fun as heck, my 94 civic lx4dr was neck to neck with a new 07 tsx. I think thats pretty quick for the set up i had. Oh, my torque converter was slipping for sure, but it was still fun and when not on the gas hard, the car shifted seamlessly with the turbo continually spooling every gear!!! I sold the car with the turbo off and I am searching for a cheap automatic civic again, this time I want vtec and front mount with a boost controller, going 12-15 psi on that little greddy turbo cause i picked up a brand new tci torque converter and hopefully I can really surprise ppl with the sleeper... lol (smoked you with both hand on the steering wheel) hahahahaha
Wouldn't that cause the transmission to break prematurely? I mean wasn't that kinda the reason why the accord transmissions were referred to a "glass" transmissions? (Too much power)
Old 11-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I won't venture to say that maybe a Turbo automatic wouldn't be fun. But to me it would be pointless. I don't like driving Autos, they leave much to be desired in my opinion. Beefed up Torqe Converter or not, I don't think the Civic Auto tranny will hold WHP over the stock output for very long.

Plus, if your going to boost on a internally stock engine. You are already limiting your WHP output, why have another part on the car that is going to limit your goals and hender reliability, that being the auto tranny.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
I won't venture to say that maybe a Turbo automatic wouldn't be fun. But to me it would be pointless. I don't like driving Autos, they leave much to be desired in my opinion. Beefed up Torqe Converter or not, I don't think the Civic Auto tranny will hold WHP over the stock output for very long.

Plus, if your going to boost on a internally stock engine. You are already limiting your WHP output, why have another part on the car that is going to limit your goals and hender reliability, that being the auto tranny.
x2
Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

them z6 engines are bulletproof!!! My buddy had his daily driven at 12psi all day long with a greddy kit for 18months with no problems at all, and he travels approx 40miles round trip to work and back everyday. besides, you guys talk like a $100-150 used D trans is alot of money. there a dime and a dozen, I had a guy back then begging me to take his auto trannies, $10, buy one get one free!!!! lol Just to let you know, no shady stuff here, he was an insurance wreck purchaser and he bought them from insurance auction and part out the cars.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep in mind though, d motors can't handle the high rpms and like a b can
Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

them z6 engines are bulletproof!!!
I agree that the Z6 engines are can take a beating. I beat on mine for 4 years and it never once gave me any headaches. I did take very good care of it to. However, I don't think the Z6 engines and there reliability is at question here. Its the auto tranny. The Z6 engines have proven thereself over and over again.

I wouldn't talk **** about people buying an auto civic..its up to that individual. Although auto trannys are not my personal cup of tea. And if you have an Auto and boost it and can get another tranny for 10 bucks and buy one get one free then by all means go for it. You will however see me stick to my 5-spd and be happy having a clutch pedal and a gear shifter
Old 11-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From my personal experience, manual is faster than automatic UNLESS your talking about old school muscle automatics that are made for racing, in which case never mind.

But when it comes to Honda's, manual is faster. As someone said the auto is slightly heavier than the manual trans. My friend, with a b series auto, raced me, in my d series manual. he lost. his car would shift early (automatics don't red line, meaning you don't stay in the power band properly.) so he fell behind where as I got ahead. Both cars were stockish (intake exhaust only no headers no turbo no built motor). also, his car will shift slightly slower between gears. its a very small difference, but its there.

manual is the way to go. plus with a manual, you feel one with your car, you DRIVE your car, feeling its actions, not just sitting on a couch cruising.....
Old 11-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys, i dont doubt the manual faster than the auto, Im just doing a turbomatic for ***** and giggles. Its kinda rare if you ask me..... lol also, when you say you raced a 5spd D vs a autoB and the B lost, was this done on the same chasis? You cant compare a auto teggy vs a 5spd si hb, the weight is totally off already... Ive been through so many different civics, with all kind of set up, eg coupe, sedan, delsol, hb, d15b7, z6, z6 supercharged, b16, b18, jdm b16, jdmb18, b18c boosted. you name it, I basically tried it. lol
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys, i dont doubt the manual faster than the auto, Im just doing a turbomatic for ***** and giggles. Its kinda rare if you ask me..... lol also, when you say you raced a 5spd D vs a autoB and the B lost, was this done on the same chasis? You cant compare a auto teggy vs a 5spd si hb, the weight is totally off already... Ive been through so many different civics, with all kind of set up, eg coupe, sedan, delsol, hb, d15b7, z6, z6 supercharged, b16, b18, jdm b16, jdmb18, b18c boosted. you name it, I basically tried it. lol
no, he was in the tegra I was in a del sol.....

he had the b series I have the D
Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock 4 stock,man will be faster,obviuosly,launching already helps in the man,but why conform to the norm,"hey i jus bought a auto honda,wanna boost,'' response''thats ****ing stupid,retarded,why be so dumb,jus get a manual,learn to shift blah blah gay gay gay'' i wanna be different,dont wanna be boring and jus be another turbo honda,id rather be that guy that put a lot of research and effort into building an turbomatic honda,must TM that.
@fastrxu in s.a at alt gti run 15 to mid 14secs,mildy work b16 can take them,t3/t4 ar50,not sure wat to tune on,try local otherwise import,il let u no how it goes,almost finito