Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EF tranny into EG

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EF tranny into EG

Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of modifications might be required to fit a manual tranny from a D15B6 in a 91 DX onto a D15B7 in an EG which currently has an auto? I don't really care about any opinions or it's a waste of time, etc. My buddy moved away and left me his EF, I have the EG and I'm tired of the auto. I am aware of the cable/hydro issue, but all I am concerned with at this point is what is required for the mounts. I can weld and am not worried if I need to piece together the mounts myself. I'm mostly curious about if he rear motor/tranny mount will work, as well as how the left side mount may need to be modded. I know the front mounts are vastly different, so I'll sort that out myself.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:31 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: EF tranny into EG

Not worth the time or the effort.

You'd be better off getting rid of that EF and getting a hydraulic transmission.

If you are willing to undertake the task of converting, here's all what is involved.

You'll most likely need a passenger side conversion mount, or cut and weld a manual mount bracket in place of the auto. I'm not sure on this part. Hence the 'most likely'.

You'll need a 5 speed ecu.

You'll need to pull the pedal assembly from a manual.

You'll need to drill out the hole/mounting holes for the master cylinder.

You'll need a clutch hard line and soft line.

You'll need a slave cylinder.

You'll need manual flywheel bolts, as well as some pressure plate bolts.

You'll need to do some wiring to get the car to think it is in 'park' to get the key in and out of the ignition.

You may need to cut the area in the transmission tunnel for the shifter to go through. Probably the holes to mount the shift linkage as well.

You may need to get new axles (not sure on this either)

It's a lot of money to just be able to row through gears. When I converted my brother's DB1, we only did so because we got a transmission and linkage for $50, and we were already replacing his motor so we could afford the downtime searching through countless dead ends for the info to convert it.

There may be a FAQ for the EG chassis for you though.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:36 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/

Section 7c has all the info you need as far as auto to manual.

Swapping to cable, you'd need to buy a hydro-cable conversion from innovative or hasport.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have read many a thread on the swap and what is required, just no one has much, if any, info on the mounting from EF to EG, which is my only question. Does anyone have any actual info on the mounting of the EF tranny stated above into an EG?
Old 05-20-2015, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kyepir
I have read many a thread on the swap and what is required, just no one has much, if any, info on the mounting from EF to EG, which is my only question. Does anyone have any actual info on the mounting of the EF tranny stated above into an EG?
You need to give to get. What do you know or foresee as an issue with the mounting? Post pictures.

I don't really care about any opinions or it's a waste of time, etc.
Get over it. You'll get what members offer you.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As far as mounting is concerned (I'll be sure to grab some pics next time I'm with the EF) is that the front mounts are entirely different, EF mounts in the front center on the core support, EG mounts to the far passenger side. The upper passenger mount seems a little smaller on the EF, maybe shifted towards the rear a bit? The rearmost mount is set towards the passenger side on the EF, almost dead center on EG.

I think I can make a franken-mount for the upper passenger side using pieces from both cars. The front I may be able to mount like the EF, but in my EG if I build a bracket and weld it to the core support. The rear seems like I could use the EG mount with the EF tranny, but I haven't been able to get the mounts off yet to compare.